Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HDD SATA3 working in Win7 but Not detected in Bios

25 Jan 2011   #1
3TnT

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
HDD SATA3 working in Win7 but Not detected in Bios

Hi,

I built a new PC to my brother. All is working fine except one thing.

I bought him 2 X 1TB HDD SATA3. The first one has two partitions : one of 60 GB for Windows 7 and the other around 900 gb. The second HDD is 1 TB.

I installed Win7 64 bit without problem. The two HDD are working normally.

In the bios, on the main page, it display all the SATA as not detected.

In the boot menu, i see my 2 HDD in IDE mode.

I already did all the update from ASUS for the motherboard. I installed the Marvel SATA3 driver, flash the bios, updated the USB3, etc.

I also use the SATA 6 GB/s ports on the motherboard and the 6 GB/s wires. My motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D-E Pro with an Intel i5 760. The two HDD are : Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

The performance index of Windows show me 5,9/7,9 for the HDD. I got the same number with my SATA2 HDD on my other computer. SATA3 is suppose to be better and faster...

The computer is working but why did I not see the two HDD in the main page of the SATA display in the bios ?

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jan 2011   #2
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

You have your 6GB/s drives connected to the Marvell 6GB/s SATA Controller. This is a chip separate from the Intel SATA controller. Hard drives connected to it will not show up in your your BIOS Main Page -> SATA controller, only drives connected to the Intel SATA ports will.

You will not see any performance improvement on 6 Gb/s SATA Hard drives over 3Gb/s hard drives. The WDC Caviar Black 6Gb/s and 3 Gb/s versions of the 1 TB drive both have a maximum transfer rate of 126 MB/s (WDC spec sheet). Either SATA II or SATA III sare capable of handling this rate.

You will not see an increase in performance or WEI score on 6Gb/s SATA unless you get a solid state disk.

If you want to see those hard drives flash up as your system boots up, go to the BIOS BOOT MENU -> boot settings configuration and disable Full Screen Logo. You should then be able to see the Marvell BIOS display the drives it detects as the system boots up (it will only flash momentarily).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #3
3TnT

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
You have your 6GB/s drives connected to the Marvell 6GB/s SATA Controller. This is a chip separate from the Intel SATA controller. Hard drives connected to it will not show up in your your BIOS Main Page -> SATA controller, only drives connected to the Intel SATA ports will.

You will not see any performance improvement on 6 Gb/s SATA Hard drives over 3Gb/s hard drives. The WDC Caviar Black 6Gb/s and 3 Gb/s versions of the 1 TB drive both have a maximum transfer rate of 126 MB/s (WDC spec sheet). Either SATA II or SATA III sare capable of handling this rate.

You will not see an increase in performance or WEI score on 6Gb/s SATA unless you get a solid state disk.

If you want to see those hard drives flash up as your system boots up, go to the BIOS BOOT MENU -> boot settings configuration and disable Full Screen Logo. You should then be able to see the Marvell BIOS display the drives it detects as the system boots up (it will only flash momentarily).
Thanks for your reply !

So you said that the HDD are in SATA3 already ? Why did i see, in the boot menu, the two HDD in IDE if it's a external controler ?

What's the difference between the SATA2 and the SATA3 from WD if the transfer rate is the same ?

I also have a blue ray drive connect on a Intel SATA port and i don't see it too in the main bios page... ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jan 2011   #4
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Sorry I misread some of that. You can configure the Marvell to be either IDE or AHCI mode in the BIOS. You probably have it setup for IDE mode, which is OK (it is still SATA running in IDE protocol).

The difference is the SATA 6Gb/s transfer rate can potentially go twice as fast as the SATA 3Gb/s. But you won;t see any difference if the hard drive is slower than 3 Gb/s! The maximum speed of the WDC 1TB drive is 126 MB/s = 1 Gb/s so the 3 Gb/s SATA can run it at full rate.

Just because a drive has a 6 Gb/s interface doesn't make it faster. The manufacturers have to move ahead with new standards, even though their current devices may not be able toi take advantage of the higher rate. The only storage device that can take advantage of SATA 6Gb/s right now is solid state drives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Don't know why you don't see the blue ray drive,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #5
3TnT

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Sorry I misread some of that. You can configure the Marvell to be either IDE or AHCI mode in the BIOS. You probably have it setup for IDE mode, which is OK (it is still SATA running in IDE protocol).
I already tried the AHCI mode and i didn't see any change... What's the difference ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #6
3TnT

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Don't know why you don't see the blue ray drive,
He's working but I don't see it in the BIOS


And for the AHCI, will i see a difference of speed from the IDE ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #7
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

No, no difference in speed really. AHCI adds hot swap capability (which you don;t need for internal drives) and native command queuing (NCQ). NCQ will order requests to the drive in an optimal order, but really doesn't affect the performance for a HDD much.

If you are already IDE then switching to AHCI can be difficult. Where did you set the AHCI - in the main menu? If so that doesn't change the mode for the Marvell controller. That is done in the Advanced -> Onboard Devices > Marvell SATA Controller [IDE or AHCI]

When you say you don't see it in the BIOS, does that mean you go to the main menu and all 6 SATA devices show "Not Detected"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #8
3TnT

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote:
No, no difference in speed really. AHCI adds hot swap capability (which you don;t need for internal drives) and native command queuing (NCQ). NCQ will order requests to the drive in an optimal order, but really doesn't affect the performance for a HDD much.

If you are already IDE then switching to AHCI can be difficult. Where did you set the AHCI - in the main menu? If so that doesn't change the mode for the Marvell controller. That is done in the Advanced -> Onboard Devices > Marvell SATA Controller [IDE or AHCI] I set the AHCI mode in the Main menu AND in the Advanced.

When you say you don't see it in the BIOS, does that mean you go to the main menu and all 6 SATA devices show "Not Detected"?
Yes, in the main menu. All 6 SATA devices show "Not Detected". In the Boot menu, I can select to boot on the Blue Ray drive... So, I only see it in the Boot menu...
...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #9
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Have you plugged the BlueRay into the Jmicron SATA controller perhaps? If it is plugged into one of the Intel Controller ports it should show up in the BIOS Main menu. If not, weird.

I have the same MB btw.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #10
3TnT

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Have you plugged the BlueRay into the Jmicron SATA controller perhaps? If it is plugged into one of the Intel Controller ports it should show up in the BIOS Main menu. If not, weird.

I have the same MB btw.
Doh ! That's what I did... I hope it hasn't broke anything...Did it ??? I'll do the switch.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HDD SATA3 working in Win7 but Not detected in Bios




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
SATA hardisk detected as IDE in BIOS. Please help
Friends, I need your help to resolve this issue. I am trying to install new WD SATA hard disk in my dektop . But Bios recognized as IDE. So its not properly detecting in System. Here is my cofiguration Motherboard - ASRock -Wolfdale1333-D667 IDE - 80 GB Samsung - Master -...
Hardware & Devices
SATA-1 & SATA3 Bios doesn't see SATA-1
I had a pc with SATA-1 drive installed windows7 64 bit, it was working fine untill I decided to attache the another hard drive SATA-3 with server 2003 loaded on it. I wanted to copy some data from SATA-3 and then wipe it off and use as additional storage, But the PC stop booting from windows7...
Hardware & Devices
Bluetooth not detected in windows, or in the bios
Hi there! I've been trying to get my bluetooth working for the past few weeks with no luck. The device doesn't appear in Device Manager, and the drivers that I've tried (both from dell, and apart from dell since they only support Vista and XP with Studio 1535) all have given me the response of...
Hardware & Devices
No drives detected in bios
Hi guys, My corsair ssd and Samsung hard drive appear in the safely remove hardware and media icon in windows. I was told I could try disabling the hot plug option on my bios. When I looked the sata ports 1 and 2 say nothing present but both drives work and appear in the boot priority part of the...
Hardware & Devices
Hard Drive is not detected in the BIOS
(I posted this thread in the Devices section and have received no help. I'm hoping I can receive some help here) Hey SevenForums users. I'm afriad that a Wild Problem has appeared (Sorry for the horrible Pokémon reference). I have been trying to sort out this problem for days now and I've had...
Hardware & Devices
Need Help - HDD Not Detected in BIOS
Hi All, I'm new here and have dug around a bit but can't find anything that helps with my problem. First the HW details: PC is 5-6 years old It was built by a local, well known computer shop that's been around for years MOBO is an Asus K8VSE Deluxe BIOS is AMI version 08.00.09, Build...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:11.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App