Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB Output causing WIndows to Hang

25 Jun 2009   #1
EvilTwinTepe

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
USB Output causing WIndows to Hang

I've been looking around a lot for this, and have found very little - but I don't think it is just me.

First, the important stuff:
Windows 7 x64, build 7100
AMD Athlon FX-52
MSI mobo, nVidia chipset (750a)
4GB of RAM
Wireless USB NIC (Linksys WUSB600N)


Now on to the problem.
Whenever I am transferring data FROM my PC to a device using USB (iPhone, or even uploading a file via my USB NIC), Windows will hang.

It's not a bllue screen, or a crash, but the USB connection craps out, the CPU spikes, and I need to hard-reset the PC, shutting down simply won't work. Though, I've not waited more than a few minutes for it to complete.

While not my post, this seems to explain the issue in more tecnical terms:
USB driver not working on windows 7 - microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev | Google Groups

Am I crazy? I can't be the only person experiencing this.

If youve gotten things working, I'm all ears!
Thanks for any help in advance!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jun 2009   #2
EvilTwinTepe

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Just had it happen again, and all I was doing was trying to download the Win7 build 7232 iso in the hopes it fixes this problem.

It wasn't a LOT of data, but it seems anything steadily using a USB port is definitely crashing something on my system. I can't even shut down once the CPU spikes. If anybody has some ideas of how to troubleshoot this, let me know, or even get some sort of dump? Thanks!

Here's an interesting update: Although I had power control turned off for all USB, when I went into Device Manager and drilled down to my WUSB600N, I checked its properties. Under the Power Management tab, I saw that the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' was in fact checked.

I've unchecked it - will update the status if it seems to work. Will also try this with the iPhone.

UPDATE: NO luck. Thought it was fine, returned to my machine (while trying to download Windows build 3272 via P2P) only to find it frozen once more.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2009   #3
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
usb output causes computer hang

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EvilTwinTepe View Post
I've been looking around a lot for this, and have found very little - but I don't think it is just me.

First, the important stuff:
Windows 7 x64, build 7100
AMD Athlon FX-52
MSI mobo, nVidia chipset (750a)
4GB of RAM
Wireless USB NIC (Linksys WUSB600N)


Now on to the problem.
Whenever I am transferring data FROM my PC to a device using USB (iPhone, or even uploading a file via my USB NIC), Windows will hang.

It's not a bllue screen, or a crash, but the USB connection craps out, the CPU spikes, and I need to hard-reset the PC, shutting down simply won't work. Though, I've not waited more than a few minutes for it to complete.

While not my post, this seems to explain the issue in more tecnical terms:
USB driver not working on windows 7 - microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev | Google Groups

Am I crazy? I can't be the only person experiencing this.

If youve gotten things working, I'm all ears!
Thanks for any help in advance!
While similar its not really like yours i think. In that there were bsod, and it was in xp. I have seen it here. There have been 2 things i have seen
1-the correct usb driver was not installed or corrupt.
2- have also seen it where a usb cable has crashed every time a tranfer. I had this one.
Try re-installing the driver.

Hope this helps a little

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jun 2009   #4
EvilTwinTepe

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Well I'll be damned.

And here I thought I knew a thing or two about computers

So, I look into it, and sure enough, Windows replaced my nice, working, Linksys driver with a windows driver - for the wrong model NIC.

Gogo Microsoft.

I've replaced the Microsoft driver with the Linksys and so far so good.

I wonder if I need to do the same thing for the iPhone...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #5
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
driver issue

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EvilTwinTepe View Post
Well I'll be damned.

And here I thought I knew a thing or two about computers

So, I look into it, and sure enough, Windows replaced my nice, working, Linksys driver with a windows driver - for the wrong model NIC.

Gogo Microsoft.

I've replaced the Microsoft driver with the Linksys and so far so good.

I wonder if I need to do the same thing for the iPhone...
I hope this resolved your issue I was just checking back to make sure. RE: Iphone it cant help to check to be sure.

Have fun and keep asking questions

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #6
EvilTwinTepe

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I stand corrected - ran into the same issue.

I've since updated to build 7232 with no luck. In fact, it seems it is more pronounced now - though I admit that might just be me thinking it is.

But once again - with both the iPhone, and my Linksys WUSB600N NIC I get crashes whenever data is 'output'.

Is there some sort of dump, or trace, or anything I can run to get something off to MS? At least if it BSODed I could write something down, but the CPU spike/freeze makes it impossible to get any useful data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #7
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
usb output causes crash

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EvilTwinTepe View Post
I stand corrected - ran into the same issue.

I've since updated to build 7232 with no luck. In fact, it seems it is more pronounced now - though I admit that might just be me thinking it is.

But once again - with both the iPhone, and my Linksys WUSB600N NIC I get crashes whenever data is 'output'.

Is there some sort of dump, or trace, or anything I can run to get something off to MS? At least if it BSODed I could write something down, but the CPU spike/freeze makes it impossible to get any useful data.
You can check event viewer to see if there are errors listed relating to the problem. Just type event in search and click on it. then sears for the errors

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #8
screwballl

Win7, XP, Vista x64, Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

One question I have is WHY?
In my years doing computer builds and repairs, the only time I ever used a USB-NIC adapter was back in the Win2000 days and earlier when some computers did not have a NIC of any type, and opening it up to temporarily use a PCI NIC was too time consuming or too dirty... even then with occasional usage, they usually crapped out on me within a few months and I would need to get a new one.
Anymore, if a PC does not have a built in NIC then I ALWAYS pick up a PCI or PCIe x1 NIC card. They are stable, they work well and I almost never have had one of them die, even with business 24/7 usage.

Something else I noticed is that cheap or dying power supplies tend to drop the USB voltage/power whenever the system voltage gets to be too much for it, or with cheap power supplies, when it feels like it. This may be another route to check into... get a voltrage monitoring program, something like SpeedFan and see if when this happens your USB or any opther voltages spike or drop significantly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #9
EvilTwinTepe

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

The answer is fairly simple - I don't feel like wiring myself for a cabled network, and WiFi right now is pretty strong. I could go for an internal PCI wireless-G/N NIC, but running on Vista this USB NIC was awesome. I see no need or reason to replace it now. I've had this NIC for at least a year now.

In regards to the power - I already knew about that one, and so it's running off of a self-powered hub, and is the ONLY item running on said hub. This is also how it worked with my Vista setup.

Regardless, the real issue is this: it's not just my NIC, but also my iPhone, or I have no doubt, any other USB device I plug in to Windows 7. If I were to plug in a USB memory stick and copy data to it, it would have the same issue I'm sure. In fact, perhaps I'll test this tonight, just to verify...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #10
EvilTwinTepe

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
You can check event viewer to see if there are errors listed relating to the problem. Just type event in search and click on it. then sears for the errors
I did do a fairly thorough search of event logs:System, App, and Security (in that order), with no luck. I was really hoping for something a bit 'deeper' in terms of a dump - like I said, even a BSOD would be preferable because it outputs something to the screen, rather than just freezing my system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB Output causing WIndows to Hang




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
What's causing my welcome screen to hang
When I log on, the welcome screen hangs for about 30 seconds and when my desktop finally opens the icons also take about 20 seconds to load, my boot time is about 4-5 minutes. I tried de-activating my anti-virus, CCC and Malwarebytes but that didn't help much, i've defragged my HDD and ran numerous...
Performance & Maintenance
Event ID 56 causing freeze/hang andcrash (Invalid ID for child device)
Randomly, while browsing the internet, the computer crashes but never a BSOD. In device manager, the Intel Management Engine Interface driver has the "yellow" caution icon, but I have updated this driver a few times from Intel download center but nothing.... From Event Viewer... It also says...
Drivers
nvstor64 error type 3 is causing my PC to hang repeatedly
Bottom line up front - my PC is having repeated nvstor64 type 3 errors which cause it to hang and the only way to restart it is to hold the power button in until it shuts down. Help! Full details here: Early July my PC started acting odd. Freezing, running slowly etc. - I ran a virus...
Hardware & Devices
Random BSOD, no minidump, device verifier causing boot hang
Greetings: Windows 7 x64, full-retail installed ~10 months ago (clean install, not upgrade). Has run fine until 2-3 weeks ago when random BSOD's began. BSOD sometimes occur several in a row within minutes, sometimes go days in between. They occur with light CPU usage - including just surfing...
BSOD Help and Support
Harddish causing Windows 7 to hang!
Hello. I noticed strange things about my HDD. (I have Windows 7 installed on my SDD, and not on the HDD). Let me list what I experience. Says a weird sound and then sounds like it's charging up somehow, during this Windows lags. It usually happens when I Shutdown my machine. After the...
Hardware & Devices
winlogon causing my usb mouse to hang startup..help
:o I can usually pinpoint minor issues, but I dont have a solution for this one yet, bringing it to the community to see if anyone knows or has encountered this issue.. For a while now, I have noticed that SOMETIMES, when i start up my pc, and I get to the desktop..that instead of the "normal" way...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App