Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: OC or Add More RAM?

18 Feb 2011   #1
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 
OC or Add More RAM?

On my 1366 board, I have 6GB of RAM using the XMP overclocking the sticks to 1600mhz.

Do to the fact I use a lot of memory-intensive apps at one time and often have more than one virtual machine running at a given time, I am considering adding another 6GB to reach the board's limit of 12GB.

However, the P6X58d-E board doesn't not support overclocking the RAM if all slots are full (this is per Intel Specs). Thus I can't overclock more than 6GBs of RAM.

Now, given the fact that free RAM is wasted RAM (and I'd want to fill as much as possible) I have been debating with myself the trade off of making this change.

My system is really fast but I would possibly surrender the speed if I add more RAM and give up the overclocking.

Opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Feb 2011   #2
electrotune1200

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

While I'm not to knowledgeable about overclocking. Could 6gb of overclocked ram really outperform 12gb of ram running at stock speeds?

My first intuition would tell me to go with the 12gb of ram.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #3
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by electrotune1200 View Post
While I'm not to knowledgeable about overclocking. Could 6gb of overclocked ram really outperform 12gb of ram running at stock speeds?

My first intuition would tell me to go with the 12gb of ram.
Given the way win 7 reacts to having more base system ram, I would be inclined to agree with you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Feb 2011   #4
Punkster

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
 
 

I have to agree with both of you guys, if the OP is doing memory-intensive apps, then i see no point in overclocking 6GB because it won't make you gain more RAM, it'll only make the 6GB a little faster, but still you'll have 6GB.

I'd rather have 12GB @ 1333MHz than 6GB @ 1600MHz, IF i really need the whole 12GB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #5
Ciara

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Win7User512 posted

Quote:
Do to the fact I use a lot of memory-intensive apps at one time and often have more than one virtual machine running at a given time
I would go for 12GB RAM as memory-intensive apps will use MBs not so much speed that OCing will give you, also 12GB Ram will increase your page file etc.

Ciara ... X
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #6
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ciara View Post
Win7User512 posted

Quote:
Do to the fact I use a lot of memory-intensive apps at one time and often have more than one virtual machine running at a given time
I would go for 12GB RAM as memory-intensive apps will use MBs not so much speed that OCing will give you, also 12GB Ram will increase your page file etc.

Ciara ... X
You mean decrease pagefile right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #7
Ciara

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Sorry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #8
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

No problem, nice sig by the way, what did you do that with? CS4?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #9
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

I concur. Having more RAM will speed up your system, even if it means returning the memory frequency to its default value. This is because there will be less need to rely on the paging file which, being disk-based, is a good deal slower than your RAM. Since you use a lot of memory-intensive programs simultaneously, you will notice the benefit of increasing the amount of RAM to the maximum supported by the motherboard. Just make sure that you get the same type as that already installed and that it matches the timing values etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #10
Ciara

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
No problem, nice sig by the way, what did you do that with? CS4?

Thank you - Paint.Net
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 OC or Add More RAM?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:13.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App