Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problems with usb ports and express card slot

29 Mar 2011   #11
yogibear

windows 7 premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yogibear View Post

Ive tried disabling and enabling the usb and express card control in BIOS, and they are still not working.

Thanks for suggesting the above.
Disabling the USB in the BIOS was not meant to fix it but to turn the USB ports off so they cannot do more damage

Ah, I see!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Mar 2011   #12
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yogibear View Post

Ive tried disabling and enabling the usb and express card control in BIOS, and they are still not working.

Thanks for suggesting the above.
Disabling the USB in the BIOS was not meant to fix it but to turn the USB ports off so they cannot do more damage

Ah, I see!!
When USB is disabled the idea was to see if the usb card would work
what make of card is it? any numbers / names might help me to identify it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2011   #13
yogibear

windows 7 premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post

Disabling the USB in the BIOS was not meant to fix it but to turn the USB ports off so they cannot do more damage

Ah, I see!!
When USB is disabled the idea was to see if the usb card would work
what make of card is it? any numbers / names might help me to identify it
The card did not work, even with it with it plugged in to my usb wall charger.

it is...

AKE USB2.0 CARD note book adaptor
54mm
S/N 09081100169

with this wire....


Attached Images
Problems with usb ports and express card slot-usb-wire.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Mar 2011   #14
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Go here; 3 Port Cardbus USB 2.0 PC Adapter Card | StarTech.com
and download the driver insert the card into the slot install the driver DO NOT INSERT the cable I do not know what it is for but I have seen no description saying it was necessary

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
The card did not work, even with it with it plugged in to my usb wall charger.
I hope this has not destroyed the card
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2011   #15
yogibear

windows 7 premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Go here; 3 Port Cardbus USB 2.0 PC Adapter Card | StarTech.com
and download the driver insert the card into the slot install the driver DO NOT INSERT the cable I do not know what it is for but I have seen no description saying it was necessary

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
The card did not work, even with it with it plugged in to my usb wall charger.
I hope this has not destroyed the card
Thanks for the linky, am trying it now.

As for the cable, i shouldnt have thought i have damaged the card, as usb voltage is 5v, and thats what voltage my wall charger gives out, but you may be correct, we shall see...

Thanks for your help so far Pooch
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2011   #16
yogibear

windows 7 premium 64bit
 
 

Were getting there slowly, as i inserted the card, nothing happened so i opened device managers and pressed the scan for new hardware button, this resulted in the driver being located and installed.

When plugging in my ipod touch to the usb port on the card, it does exactly the same as plugging it into the other usb ports, The orange indicator light turns in, blinks and flashes a few times, and the it goes off, and the ipod does not show up in the device list.

so there is some sort of connection there as the lights do come on and flash/blink for a short while, but it is not a "full" connection.

Is there a way using "Command" to control the usb ports/card slot?

(the card or ipod do not show up in the "safley remove hardware" list either)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2011   #17
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
Were getting there slowly, as i inserted the card, nothing happened so i opened device managers and pressed the scan for new hardware button, this resulted in the driver being located and installed.

When plugging in my ipod touch to the usb port on the card, it does exactly the same as plugging it into the other usb ports, The orange indicator light turns in, blinks and flashes a few times, and the it goes off, and the ipod does not show up in the device list.

so there is some sort of connection there as the lights do come on and flash/blink for a short while, but it is not a "full" connection.

Is there a way using "Command" to control the usb ports/card slot?

(the card or ipod do not show up in the "safley remove hardware" list either)
I am not quite sure where to go now as these problems are new to me as well
Look in Device Manager
does it look like the marked part of the attachment?


Attached Thumbnails
Problems with usb ports and express card slot-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2011   #18
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2011   #19
yogibear

windows 7 premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
Were getting there slowly, as i inserted the card, nothing happened so i opened device managers and pressed the scan for new hardware button, this resulted in the driver being located and installed.

When plugging in my ipod touch to the usb port on the card, it does exactly the same as plugging it into the other usb ports, The orange indicator light turns in, blinks and flashes a few times, and the it goes off, and the ipod does not show up in the device list.

so there is some sort of connection there as the lights do come on and flash/blink for a short while, but it is not a "full" connection.

Is there a way using "Command" to control the usb ports/card slot?

(the card or ipod do not show up in the "safley remove hardware" list either)
I am not quite sure where to go now as these problems are new to me as well
Look in Device Manager
does it look like the marked part of the attachment?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Yes, my device manager does look like that, and when I expand the USB section, all looks normal, no yellow or grey tags, just the list of the ATI controllers for each port, and then each port is listed again,

I'm currently at work, but I shall try tomorrow the info on the microsoft page you gave me the link for about "select and suspend". Have dealt with registry issues before so I'm not scared to do this.

Will report back once I've done it.


Just one more thing, just before I left the house for work, I got the blue screen warning, and that has never happened on that machine before, I think the driver I installed is conflicting with something else, not had chance to investigate that as I had to go to work.

Thanks again for your help Pooch.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2011   #20
yogibear

windows 7 premium 64bit
 
 

Tried the info about select suspend, made no difference.

I uninstalled the driver you gave me the link to as this was giving me the bluscreen

Now when i plug in a usb device, it doesnt make the "BING BONG" noise, and nothing shows up in the device manager or devices / printers!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problems with usb ports and express card slot




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
mini PCI Express slot backwards on mobo? upside down?
I have a Mini PCI Express slot on my computer No PCI X1 slots or x16 slots or agp slots (Found solder points for a PCI X1 but its not soldered on. What a downer.) I was attempting to find a mini PCI Express slot to PCIe X1 adapter online but my mini PCI Express slot is BACKWARDS or upside down...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
PCI Express 3.0 card in 2.0 slot
Not a compatibility question, I'm fairly certain that wouldn't be an issue. The question is about overall performance gain. Looking at a Radeon R9 270, currently have a 5670. Here's a benchmark comparison from hwcompare.com - now I'm not a heavy gamer but I am running a mod on a particular favorite...
Graphic Cards
Is it possible to put in an express slot/pci instead of SATA cd drive?
I have the Acer Aspire 5810TZ with Windows 7 pro 32-bit
Hardware & Devices
Insert sound card into PCI Express 2.0 slot possible?
Hello everyone, I am currently sitting here with a dilemma. The problem I am facing takes back two weeks where I got my new graphic card MSI 560Ti. I have a CoolerMaster HAF 922 case, my PSU is relatively small but compared to my older graphic card the new one is absolutely massive. I also uses...
Hardware & Devices
Will a dual slot card fit?
Hey, I've finally decided to buy a new graphics card. It wouldn't fit in my current PC case, nor would my current PSU. Therefore I have to buy a new PSU and a new PC case too. I will move pretty much everything except the old PSU and graphics card (GT 320) to the new case. The card I intend to...
Graphic Cards
Intel® Turbo Memory Card on Mini PCI-Express slot
I was wondering as I've got 2 spare slot Mini PCI-Express free on my laptop, if such Intel Card (ITM) could fit inside...This technology is quite not expensive actually. The mini PCI-E is very ease to access under my keyboard and it just have to be inserted, and at system reboot, Windows7 will...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App