Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SSD and defrag

21 Apr 2011   #1
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 
SSD and defrag

I know this has been covered. BUT.
There is always a BUT.

Looking at my SSD in Perfectdisk, running the analyzer, I see that the drive has 879 excessive fragment and 32 metadata fragments.
Looking at the drive map things are all over the place.
I am so use to defraging my drives that this bugs me.

Is it OK to every now and then do a online degrag and then a offline, boot, defrag to get rid of some of this mess.

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Apr 2011   #2
Devux

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Ultimately your decision, but you don't gain any speed from defragging a SSD, all you do is needlessly read and write to the drive causing it to fail before it should.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2011   #3
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Devux View Post
Ultimately your decision, but you don't gain any speed from defragging a SSD, all you do is needlessly read and write to the drive causing it to fail before it should.
Thanks for the reply.

So the real question may be how fragment does a SSD have to be before it is OK to do a defrag on it.
I certainly don't think having 1/4-1/2 of the drive fragmented is good.
With Spinning drives it is always best to have all your ducks, data, in a row so it can be read faster.
Not so with SSDs?
But hey what do I know. That is why I'm asking the question.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Apr 2011   #4
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
I know this has been covered. BUT.
There is always a BUT.

Looking at my SSD in Perfectdisk, running the analyzer, I see that the drive has 879 excessive fragment and 32 metadata fragments.
Looking at the drive map things are all over the place.
I am so use to defraging my drives that this bugs me.

Is it OK to every now and then do a online degrag and then a offline, boot, defrag to get rid of some of this mess.

Thanks
Have a read through thids thread It should clear up a few misconceptions that you have SSD Tweaks and Optimizations in Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2011   #5
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

then there's that paragon alignment tool thingy...now in version 3!

i've often wondered about that too - how come only one company knows about it, and why aren't they pushing it more?

i suppose i could go and splash some cash then do some benchmarking, but i think i've got better things to do...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2011   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
then there's that paragon alignment tool thingy...now in version 3!

i've often wondered about that too - how come only one company knows about it, and why aren't they pushing it more?

i suppose i could go and splash some cash then do some benchmarking, but i think i've got better things to do...
That is for a different purpose - alignment after the fact (i.e. when the OS is already installed). But defragging an SSD is completely counterproductive with zero gain. It only puts additional wear and tear on the SSD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2011   #7
xxxdannyxxx

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

If you can show me some proof of performance gain from defragging an ssd then go ahead otherwise leave it alone

Danny
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2011   #8
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post

i suppose i could go and splash some cash then do some benchmarking, but i think i've got better things to do...

Sensible move!!



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xxxdannyxxx View Post
If you can show me some proof of performance gain from defragging an ssd then go ahead otherwise leave it alone

Danny
Well said
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2011   #9
pjb11

Windows 7 Ultimat *64
 
 

The latest version of perfect disk does a good job of optimising the SSD. It instantly recognises it as a ssd and therefore does not defrag it. It also helps prevent further fragmentation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SSD and defrag




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Auslogics Disk Defrag vs IObit Smart Defrag
Which Defragger do you think is better, because I am trying to decide between the two, but can't decide on one or the other.
Software
Disk Defrag, Registry Defrag and Registry Cleaners
After that great response on "W7 running free forever???", I hope you folks can advise me on the following three subjects: Hard Disk Defrag Registry Defrag Registry Cleaning With the first two, I wonder if W7 inherent capabilities do just as good a job as any of the available programs now...
Performance & Maintenance
Auslogics Defrag vs Win7 built-in Defrag?
Auslogic's Disk Defrag is a free utility. Does anyone know how it compares to Win 7's built in defrag utility? Is it worth downloading over what's already there?
Performance & Maintenance
Does Puran Defrag 7.3 Free work with Windows 7 Defrag disabled ?
I normally set the Disk Defragmenter Task Schedule to DISABLED, and leave the Windows Disk Defragmenter defragsvc set to DISABLED. Will Puran Free be able to safely and fully operate under these conditions, or should I change defragsvc to MANUAL. I occasionally create a Macrium FULL image...
Software
Windows Disk Defrag Doesn't Defrag
Disk defrag stops analyzing at 62% and doesn't go any further. So I downloaded Defraggler and ran it. It worked but it wouldn't defrag down to 0% fragmentation, It still shows 4% after defrag.
Performance & Maintenance
Does Windows Defrag defrag system files?
Hi all. Stupid question here... A friend of mine was speaking highly about this PerfectDisk prog because "it defrags system files." I was kind of surprised because I thought (assumed) that the defrag utility built into Windows 7 already defragged system files. Is this not true? I do not...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App