Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Ram question

11 Jul 2009   #1
Gilly

 
Ram question

looking to by 4 gig of memory and going to get these Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Kit CL5 1.8v - Ebuyer so got 2 questions ..... is that ram better than what i currently have http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2053/captureixh.png and would it be ok to use my current ram what ive got and the 1 that im gonna buy so i got 6 gbs? thanks.......................


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Jul 2009   #2
Uber Philf

W7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

yes you can do that, but 4GB should be sufficient enough, something about mixing the RAM sticks, something about clock speed, not exactly sure, maybe someone can explain it better to you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #3
dan7777

windows 7 RTM
 
 

Firstly you cannot mix ram at all if its same make then yeah your running 2gb ram yeah ? now your guna upgrade to 4gb ram ? of course there will be a big difference especially in games and stuff loading up os it will be much faster. hope this helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jul 2009   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
ram

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
looking to by 4 gig of memory and going to get these Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Kit CL5 1.8v - Ebuyer so got 2 questions ..... is that ram better than what i currently have http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2053/captureixh.png and would it be ok to use my current ram what ive got and the 1 that im gonna buy so i got 6 gbs? thanks.......................
OK first mixing ram is not a good idea. they are both ddr2 800 Meg sticks but. Is yoour system 64 bit cause if not you cant run more than 4 gigs.

Hope this helps

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #5
Gilly

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
OK first mixing ram is not a good idea. they are both ddr2 800 Meg sticks but. Is yoour system 64 bit cause if not you cant run more than 4 gigs.

Hope this helps

Ken
no, but im gonna get 64bit if i can install 6gbs how much does 32 bit run,, isit 3.7gbs would i get a performance increase using 64 bit with 4 gbs what a the downsides of running different types of ram ? im getting conflicting messages when looking through the internet some say not at all , some say yes aslong as its both DDr2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
ram

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
no, but im gonna get 64bit if i can install 6gbs how much does 32 bit run,, isit 3.7gbs would i get a performance increase using 64 bit with 4 gbs what a the downsides of running different types of ram ? im getting conflicting messages when looking through the internet some say not at all , some say yes aslong as its both DDr2
Hey gilly

first if you have a 32 bit system the system itelf cannot handle more than 4 gigs and of the four gigs only 3.3 will be regcognized. thats what my system sees. Its more than enough and Im a killer on multitasking. the ram is the same for 32 bit and 64bit. make sure you cpu and ram can run 64 bit. if you go to **Home of Gibson Research Corporation** they have a little app that will tell you abt if you can run 64bit , if dep is enabled and if your hardware can run a virtual pc. its easy to use and free. running mixed ram is a killer. I cannot count how many times i have helped people with BSOD, random freezes

let me know if you need more help

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #7
Gilly

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Hey gilly

first if you have a 32 bit system the system itelf cannot handle more than 4 gigs and of the four gigs only 3.3 will be regcognized. thats what my system sees. Its more than enough and Im a killer on multitasking. the ram is the same for 32 bit and 64bit. make sure you cpu and ram can run 64 bit. if you go to **Home of Gibson Research Corporation** they have a little app that will tell you abt if you can run 64bit , if dep is enabled and if your hardware can run a virtual pc. its easy to use and free. running mixed ram is a killer. I cannot count how many times i have helped people with BSOD, random freezes

let me know if you need more help

Ken
it should be be its only 4 month old pc Acer M3201 Phenom quad core 1.8 ghz also i clicked that link but it saying i need to buy it ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #8
Uber Philf

W7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

you shouldnt have to?, here : securable.zip

That will tell you if your CPU can run x64


My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #9
Gilly

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Uber Philf View Post
you shouldnt have to?, here : Attachment 17485

That will tell you if your CPU can run x64
thanks. and yes it can
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #10
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
ram question

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
it should be be its only 4 month old pc Acer M3201 Phenom quad core 1.8 ghz also i clicked that link but it saying i need to buy it ?
Your system will certainly be 64 bit but if you want anyway the link to the free program is GRC*|*SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features*|**

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Ram question




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Question about SSD's
I saw these comments on a site about SSD's , is the below comments true ? I was hoping to use the SSD as my primary drive , i don't store much . Thank you
Hardware & Devices
Thermal Paste Question..(Noobish Question)
Hey guys, I recently purchased Corsair H40 that came with pre applied thermal paste. Before I placed the H40 sink on my processor, I applied a thin layer on the on the processor with Cooler Master thermal paste. So essentially I mixed the H40 pre applied thermal paste with the Cooler Master thermal...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
WEI Question
Hey guys, I went into my system properties to get into something today, but when i did it prompted that i needed to re-rn the assesment. I did so and my graphics score went from a 7.4 down to a 6.9. Would this be caused from me running display fusion on my system to allow me to do certain...
Performance & Maintenance
RAM Question
I will probably be getting this motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 rev. 1.0 Socket 1155 ATX Motherboard Intel Z68 Express Intel Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 Processors, Dual DDR3 2133 SATA III SATA 6.0 Gb/s Gigabit LAN SLI CrossFireX USB3.0 HDMI DVI 7.1 Channels Audio-Best Computer Online Store Hous I...
Hardware & Devices
Answer Question, Ask Question.
First (hope you get the reference): In a world where a piano is a weapon, not a musical instrument, on what does Scott Joplin play "The Maple Leaf Rag"?
Chillout Room
Logitech 5.1 surround question and soundcard question IDT and Realtek
So my situation is unique lol i have a Dell inspiron n5010 laptop running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit the soundcard for this is either IDT 92HD79B1, v.6.10.0.6267, A01 or A03 i dont know what the default one mine came with is. Documentation i hope that helps ^ and the attatchment i...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App