Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Sata 3 Cables

21 May 2011   #41
kool1zero

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

It could also have something to do with cable pairing or magnetic insulation. The III cable could have two of the conductors together or differently shielded or a shielding tuned to a different frequency.




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 May 2011   #42
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Going somewhat off in a tangent, I found some SATA III cables which are round, rather than the typical flat shape. Is there any reason that these would be better or worse?
They aren't as flexible. That might be important for your cable management.
That might be true for internal cables, but what I was thinking of was my external cables. I don't know that round would be any better, except that the flat ones tend to be a bit annoying in when they won't twist the way that I want very easily.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2011   #43
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
EDIT: Still, this illustrates something that I have asked about previously, regarding whether a SATA III drive is better than SATA II or not. All the responses that I got seemed to brush it off as merely being hype, or too negligible to be worth noting. That may be true for someone accustomed to SSDs, but not for someone such as myself that is specifically interested in hard drives. The difference between your drive and mine is definitely worth paying a little more for. Had I seen this previously, I would not have opted for that SATA II drive.
Of course, you must take into account the motherboard, the drivers, the amount of cache on the drive, and the onboard SATA controllers themselves as well. It's quite possible, that the exact same physical drive used above, in your rig, might have scored more inline with where your SATA 3.0Gbps drive falls. I think real world measurable differences between SATA 3.0Gbps and SATA 6.0Gbps mechanical hard drives is just about non-existent. A few MB/s in a benchmark really won't amount to anything in real world usage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 May 2011   #44
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
EDIT: Still, this illustrates something that I have asked about previously, regarding whether a SATA III drive is better than SATA II or not. All the responses that I got seemed to brush it off as merely being hype, or too negligible to be worth noting. That may be true for someone accustomed to SSDs, but not for someone such as myself that is specifically interested in hard drives. The difference between your drive and mine is definitely worth paying a little more for. Had I seen this previously, I would not have opted for that SATA II drive.
Of course, you must take into account the motherboard, the drivers, the amount of cache on the drive, and the onboard SATA controllers themselves as well. It's quite possible, that the exact same physical drive used above, in your rig, might have scored more inline with where your SATA 3.0Gbps drive falls. I think real world measurable differences between SATA 3.0Gbps and SATA 6.0Gbps mechanical hard drives is just about non-existent. A few MB/s in a benchmark really won't amount to anything in real world usage.
And the drive's cache, number of platters, improvements in firmware, etc, etc.
I have both. I agree.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2011   #45
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Going somewhat off in a tangent, I found some SATA III cables which are round, rather than the typical flat shape. Is there any reason that these would be better or worse?
They aren't as flexible. That might be important for your cable management.
That might be true for internal cables, but what I was thinking of was my external cables. I don't know that round would be any better, except that the flat ones tend to be a bit annoying in when they won't twist the way that I want very easily.
You mean eSATA cables? I have a round one, it works fine, but also have the same difficulty - you still have resistance to twisting the orientation. The flat cables can fold on themselves a little better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2011   #46
kool1zero

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Well, the twisting and folding (especially the folding) change the resistance internally and affect the capacity for throughput. The more it deviates from standard the more resends and failures it will have to have for a transmission

My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2011   #47
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kool1zero View Post
Well, the twisting and folding (especially the folding) change the resistance internally and affect the capacity for throughput. The more it deviates from standard the more resends and failures it will have to have for a transmission

Sent from my Droid Incredible
How would you explain that? Copper is pretty malleable/flexible. Bending it repeatedly will "work harden" it, but I understand the change in resistance is very small, and usually you don't bend it repeatedly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2011   #48
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I think that the amount that a bend might effect throughput would depend on the amount of bending imparted on the cable. I doubt that a bend as would normally be necessary, would have any effect, but if that angle of bend became acute, it might.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2011   #49
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
I think that the amount that a bend might effect throughput would depend on the amount of bending imparted on the cable. I doubt that a bend as would normally be necessary, would have any effect, but if that angle of bend became acute, it might.
Very much doubt it, lets stick to known facts and not speculation. For one thing, I am sure these cables are speced with headroom to take considerations like that into account. The acceptance criteria for a SATA II, for example, is a 6dB loss at 4800 MHz (1800 MHZ above the rated transfer speed).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2011   #50
kool1zero

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

CompTia specifies that you should not bend a cable a bend to a radius of less than three cable widths of sharpness or it will begin to affect throughput.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Sata 3 Cables




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
FYI Only - Discovered only slight diff betw SATA-1 vs. SATA-3 cables
I read an article stating there’s very little difference between SATA cables. So I tried it for myself. This screenshot shows the slight differences in speed; likely most of you already knew this. In testing, an 11GB file transferred in 10 seconds using either cable. Vid link shows detail of...
Hardware & Devices
LONG SATA cables needed [ok, wanted]
My server is a Frankenstine computer. MOST parts have been swapped out at one time or another. The last upgrade to the machine was a good old fashioned cleaning, and case swap from a mini tower to a full tower. ALL the drive bays that are within reach of the cables are used, but I have a few...
Hardware & Devices
External Sata Cables
I have been searching for external sata cables with latches. The only ones I can find with latches are internal (Type L). The external should be type "I" both ends. Does any one have a link for external latched cables?
Hardware & Devices
External Sata Cables
Some of the plugs are listed as "I type" and some as "L type". What is the difference? I am trying to figure out what I need from rear port to dock.
Hardware & Devices
latchling sata cables compatibilty
hi all. how can i tell if my mobo(gigabyte 880ga-ud3h rev3.1) is compatible with the latchling type sata cables? sorry if its a dumb question lol. are all new boards compatible with them? thnks in advance folks:doh:
Installation & Setup
Can hot-plug-in and out SATA cables from mobo during run?
Can I arbitrarily plug in and out SATA cables (coming from DVD and (external) hard disc) into and from SATA slots on the motherboard? or does this cause hardware damages? Are thesDVD and external hard discs detected automatically by Win7 or do I have to click somewhere "refresh" ? Peter
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App