Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 2 drive ssd choice

29 May 2011   #21
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I was also told that all manufactures of ssd are not able to keep up with demand at the present time.
I find that hard to believe. I know a ton of people who own computers, but only a small handful who have SSD drives.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 May 2011   #22
DalekOverSeer

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I was also told that all manufactures of ssd are not able to keep up with demand at the present time.
I find that hard to believe. I know a ton of people who own computers, but only a small handful who have SSD drives.
pparks1,

you would be right. the problem is manufactures do not have a large enough suppy of the memory used to manufacture the ssd's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2011   #23
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DalekOverSeer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I was also told that all manufactures of ssd are not able to keep up with demand at the present time.
I find that hard to believe. I know a ton of people who own computers, but only a small handful who have SSD drives.
pparks1,

you would be right. the problem is manufactures do not have a large enough suppy of the memory used to manufacture the ssd's.
I think a distinction should be made about the type of nand we are talking about. Several months ago there was a big blowup on the OCZ forum about them switching to 22nm nand from 34nm nand without telling anyone. One of the senior people from OCZ explained that 34nm nand was getting harder to get and was much more expensive. He claimed that 22nm nand was plentiful and cheaper. I am not sure whether I believe that because it was a 'cop out' answer. The question was never about what kind of nand they were using. The question was their business practices of switching and not telling the public that the ssds they were buying were not what they thought they were buying. But, by looking at the supplies and prices I can't see that the supply of 22nm nand is becoming scarce.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 May 2011   #24
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

If budget isnt a issue, a second SSD for something like Games (espscially the really high disk use ones) would be a good idea IMHO.

But I do agree with everyone else. For Music, Videos, and even Pictures, theres really nothing much to be gained.
A good 7200RPM mechanical drive will do just as well, and offer much more room for storage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2011   #25
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709
 
 

I got my information from a source I trust. Whether it is correct we will see. As I and I believe many others would like to see the quality and quantity stay so their is a chance the price will go down.
It really doesn't matter how many people have a ssd. If 200 people want to buy them and their is only 150 ssd the demand out reaches the supply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2011   #26
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709
 
 

Here is another option if my figures are correct. Some people are stating that with a ssd they are getting better speeds from the Intel sataII ports than from the Marvell sata III ports. I haven't test this yet.
Sata III - 6.0 gb
Sate II - 2.0 gb
Usb3.0 - 5.0 gb
What do you all think about a second hard drive USB 3.0 at 5.0 gb.
I can't test any of this until I get my damnm fans.
I have been investigating the Hybred and about 20 # are not satisfied for various reasons. Most state defrag is possible but you should do it seldom. It also takes a long time before the memory comes back so you have your speed. (relearning after defrag). I'm not in a hurry for this second drive so I will be thankful for more input. I have a 120 gb series 510 and only using about 30 gb. Thanks to all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2011   #27
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

Personal opinion. If you are going to put an SSD in an external enclosure I would recommend esata. You should get better speed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2011   #28
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Here is another option if my figures are correct. Some people are stating that with a ssd they are getting better speeds from the Intel sataII ports than from the Marvell sata III ports. I haven't test this yet.
Sata III - 6.0 gb
Sate II - 2.0 gb
Usb3.0 - 5.0 gb
What do you all think about a second hard drive USB 3.0 at 5.0 gb.
I can't test any of this until I get my damnm fans.
I have been investigating the Hybred and about 20 # are not satisfied for various reasons. Most state defrag is possible but you should do it seldom. It also takes a long time before the memory comes back so you have your speed. (relearning after defrag). I'm not in a hurry for this second drive so I will be thankful for more input. I have a 120 gb series 510 and only using about 30 gb. Thanks to all.

Sata III is up to 6.0Gbps
Sata II is up to 3.0Gbps
eSata also runs at Sata II speeds of up to 3.0Gbps
USB 3.0 is up to 5.0Gbps.

From what I have read and what I have seen, external enclosures are fastest on eSATA. That is what I use, and with my 2TB Samsung SpinPoint 5400RPM green drive, I get right about 90MB/sec throughput on eSATA.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2011   #29
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

I ran a Macrium image to my 7200RMP Samsung and my 7200 RPM USB 3.0 drive-exact same image.
2 drive ssd choice-macrium-both.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2011   #30
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
I ran a Macrium image to my 7200RMP Samsung and my 7200 RPM USB 3.0 drive-exact same image.
Attachment 157471
Nearly a minute difference?

First one ESATA?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 2 drive ssd choice




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cannot save downloads to choice of folder/flash drive on Firefox 28
The above says it all, since update no facility to save download where I like, it saves it automatically to downloads folder, from there iI have to cut & paste to a designated (folder of my own choosing). I have always had the option to be prompted prior to download what I wanted to do with the...
Browsers & Mail
Why we'll see even more disk drive choice
Read more at: Why we'll see even more disk drive choice | ZDNet
News
Help With Hard Drive Choice
Hello All :) I just ordered a 3.5" hard drive enclosure after much research. Now I'm ready for a the hard drive. This is where I need help. After quite a bit of reading I still need help with choosing a hard drive. I am looking to backup my primary HD and to store large files as well as use...
Hardware & Devices
RAM Choice
I can choose between Amazon.com: 16GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-17000 RipjawsZ Series for Intel X79 (9-11-10-28) Quad Channel kit 4x4GB: Electronics and http://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-240-Pin-F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL-Unbuffered/dp/B00572K3NA/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321990419&sr=1-7 ...
Hardware & Devices
LOG-ON Choice
When I built this private/home system, I had it running without a Log-On password. At some point I had to run it as Administrator for some reason. From that point, when I boot up, I get a choice of logging on as either: My Name Admin (preferred) & Administrator. I initially thought that it was a...
General Discussion
Choice in SSD
Hi, I wanted to pick a nice SSD for me, but i don't know which one has the right firmware upgrade, so it won't slow down. My budget is 500 U$, and i would like it to have over 128 GB - 256 GB Thanks, Alex.
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App