Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Looking for reliable 500 GB External HDD

04 Jun 2011   #11
tronfab

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Sure, quick recap with SimpleDrive unit:

Original: 6 year old Dell XPS with XP - worked perfectly
Present: 3 year old Dell XPS with Win 7 Ultimate - usually connects fine
Present: New mini-ITX system with: Intel® Desktop Board DG45FC - Overview
and Win 7 Ultimate x86 - cannot make USB connection


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
What computer was your Ext originally connected to & what OS was on that computer ?



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Jun 2011   #12
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Ques. 1
I & family have 5 portable WDs 500/750GB with no problems. Two get heavy use with a media center. Probably lucky.
Still high precision, mass produced, relatively low cost HDDs should never be fully trusted. I suggest at least 2 externals duplicating vital information.

Ques. 2
Portable HDDs will have problems of course if the USB port cannot deliver enough power. You could try a powered hub.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2011   #13
tronfab

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

I'll try the powered usb hub. Never thought about the system not supplying enough juice. I'll let you know what I find.

Do you happen to know the model(s) of the WD drives you're using?

Thanks,

Ron.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Ques. 1
I & family have 5 portable WDs 500/750GB with no problems. Two get heavy use with a media center. Probably lucky.
Still high precision, mass produced, relatively low cost HDDs should never be fully trusted. I suggest at least 2 externals duplicating vital information.

Ques. 2
Portable HDDs will have problems of course if the USB port cannot deliver enough power. You could try a powered hub.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Jun 2011   #14
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Are you connecting via the front ports or the rear ports on the Intel Mini ?

Usually rear have the best power.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2011   #15
tronfab

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

The Mini only has rear ports, about half-dozen. I tried 2-3 of them.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Are you connecting via the front ports or the rear ports on the Intel Mini ?

Usually rear have the best power.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2011   #16
JackOfSpades

Windows 7 Professional Edition 64-bit OEM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tronfab View Post
Can someone recommend a well tested External HDD with at least 500 GB?

I'm having problems with my older Ext. HHD's being recognized by Win 7.

I've heard Western Digital is a good one.

TIA,

Ron
It's funny you should ask. I've been looking for one myself and plan to buy one soon. I can give you some tips that may help.

First of all, assuming that you're going to be getting an external that's USB-connected, it depends on whether you want to get a USB2.0 or USB3.0 connection. USB3.0 is faster, but at the same time it's newer tech and doesn't currently have many with a sufficient enough amount of customer reviews by which to get a thorough idea of what good they are as versus to USB2.0 connected externals which have been around longer and have a lot of customer reviews. It depends on which one you want to get.

If you are willing to sacrifice data transfer rates and go for a USB2.0, then I'd recommend a Western Digital Elements drive. Newegg.com has hundreds of customer reviews on each that get consistently about 4 out of 5 egg reviews and on amazon for at least 3.5 stars each. One on Newegg.com had 480+ reviews and 4 out of 5 eggs which I think are good odds.

However, if you want something faster and want to wing it with USB3.0, then I'd recommend what I'm going to be buying perhaps within the next week or so: Samsung Story Station 3.0. Surprisingly although it's only 5400 RPM, it has performance reviews that outspace 7200 RPM externals and are also USB3.0 such as the Western Digital MyBook and Seagate Freeagent models.

It all depends on what you need, what you want, and what you're willing to spend.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2011   #17
tronfab

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

The Samsung 3.0 Story Station looks awfully good, reviews and pricing make it a contender. Amazon has the 1 TB model for $86.00.

Good info.

Quote:
It's funny you should ask. I've been looking for one myself and plan to buy one soon. I can give you some tips that may help.

First of all, assuming that you're going to be getting an external that's USB-connected, it depends on whether you want to get a USB2.0 or USB3.0 connection. USB3.0 is faster, but at the same time it's newer tech and doesn't currently have many with a sufficient enough amount of customer reviews by which to get a thorough idea of what good they are as versus to USB2.0 connected externals which have been around longer and have a lot of customer reviews. It depends on which one you want to get.

If you are willing to sacrifice data transfer rates and go for a USB2.0, then I'd recommend a Western Digital Elements drive. Newegg.com has hundreds of customer reviews on each that get consistently about 4 out of 5 egg reviews and on amazon for at least 3.5 stars each. One on Newegg.com had 480+ reviews and 4 out of 5 eggs which I think are good odds.

However, if you want something faster and want to wing it with USB3.0, then I'd recommend what I'm going to be buying perhaps within the next week or so: Samsung Story Station 3.0. Surprisingly although it's only 5400 RPM, it has performance reviews that outspace 7200 RPM externals and are also USB3.0 such as the Western Digital MyBook and Seagate Freeagent models.

It all depends on what you need, what you want, and what you're willing to spend.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2011   #18
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I forgot to mention I only use WD Elements. They are cheaper and come without what I consider troblesome addon firmware. The 2.5" run relatively cool. They are generally 5400 rpm but some are 5200 rpm. I get ~ 30MB/s transfer.
WD don't appear to support their smaller Elements HDDs with USB3.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2011   #19
Pierre50

Windows 7 Pro, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, Windows XP
 
 

I struggled with this for a while. Spent some time head scratching and researching, and think I found a great solution.

Rather than re-type the whole thing, here is the Blog article I whipped up for my clients:

Backup Storage – Inexpensive, Expandable, Portable, and Flexible!


Hope that makes sense, and helps you get a great backup/external drive solution!

Patrick
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Looking for reliable 500 GB External HDD




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Reliable external hard drive
Hi all I currently save all my content downloads ext. externally, to my windows system i.e. on a separate disk, two 1000GB mirrored , I also have a 750GB on a enclosure (sold on ebay as 1000 Grr lol) but this drive died but the disk inside still ok just moved to a new enclosure, which I use to back...
Backup and Restore
A New Fast and Reliable External HDD Needed
I've been using a 160GB WD Passport HDD for a very long time and just recently it has decided that I've over used it. I'm looking for another hard drive that I can replace it with. I'm not looking for something with massive space, something similar would be good. I used it as a place to...
Hardware & Devices
Is Newegg.com reliable?
Hi, I'm thinking about buying this graphics card from Newegg.com. I was just wondering whether the rebate will actually work. And how does it work? Do I get a certain amount of money from EVGA or Newegg.com? I've heard of cases where it takes, weeks even months for a rebate to arrive. And...
Graphic Cards
Reliable temps.?
I've noticed strange temps in SpeedFan. Only 1 seems really weird, as I don't have a liquid nitrogen cooled PC. http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2239/speedfansnip.jpg Could I trust (any of) these temps?
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Not very reliable
My PC is not very reliable :shock: Look how bad it is Most of it is freezing after sleep :l Why
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 RC: Reliable?
So the RC has been out for a while now, people have had the chance to mess around with it. However I've notice a lot more posts with people having stability problems, etc. So I wanted to get a poll of people's view on how reliable/better the RC is than older builds (specifically 7068 and 7077). ...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App