Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Monitor sleep/wakeup problem with auto-hide taskbar

20 Jul 2009   #1
SoLoR

Windows 7 SP1 x64 build 7601.21701
 
 
Monitor sleep/wakeup problem with auto-hide taskbar

What can i say, GJ MS that you didnt manage to fix this bug that was present from build ~7068 onward (was fine before) and now we have RTM and its still here (and its serious imo).

If you have auto-hide taskbar turned on and no active window (or active taskbar) when your monitor goes to sleep, it will sometimes take ****loads of time that desktop will become active after monitor wakeup. Everyone can test this one for them self, put taskbar on auto-hide and put monitor sleep on 1min (this time actualy doenst matter but to speed up testing). Make sure you have no active open window or active taskbar (taskbar must be in hidden state). Then let monitor go to sleep and wake it up in lets say 10min (needs to be bit longer period of time, because "stuck" time depends on how long monitor was in sleep mode). You will get inital desktop but then desktop will be unresponsive for a while. This usualy doesnt happen on 1st time after system reboot, but it does every other time for sure. SIGH! Only solution to make sure you are not geting this is, having auto-hide taskbar turned off. This happens on EVERY computer at my home (2 laptops, 3 desktops), doesnt matter on type of monitor or graphic card.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Jul 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
auto hide and wake

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SoLoR View Post
What can i say, GJ MS that you didnt manage to fix this bug that was present from build ~7068 onward (was fine before) and now we have RTM and its still here (and its serious imo).

If you have auto-hide taskbar turned on and no active window (or active taskbar) when your monitor goes to sleep, it will sometimes take ****loads of time that desktop will become active after monitor wakeup. Everyone can test this one for them self, put taskbar on auto-hide and put monitor sleep on 1min (this time actualy doenst matter but to speed up testing). Make sure you have no active open window or active taskbar (taskbar must be in hidden state). Then let monitor go to sleep and wake it up in lets say 10min (needs to be bit longer period of time, because "stuck" time depends on how long monitor was in sleep mode). You will get inital desktop but then desktop will be unresponsive for a while. This usualy doesnt happen on 1st time after system reboot, but it does every other time for sure. SIGH! Only solution to make sure you are not geting this is, having auto-hide taskbar turned off. This happens on EVERY computer at my home (2 laptops, 3 desktops), doesnt matter on type of monitor or graphic card.
Hey SoLoR

I have the same problem and just thought it was mine. I have had auto hide off for so long I forgot abt using it. Yep it still happens on 7600. Wonder if MS is aware of it, and if so why they didnt fix it
Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2009   #3
SoLoR

Windows 7 SP1 x64 build 7601.21701
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Hey SoLoR

I have the same problem and just thought it was mine. I have had auto hide off for so long I forgot abt using it. Yep it still happens on 7600. Wonder if MS is aware of it, and if so why they didnt fix it
Ken
dont think they are should report it when i had RC installed, but was kinda banned from beta, because i shared localized RC version on torrents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Jul 2009   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
auto hide and wake

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SoLoR View Post
dont think they are should report it when i had RC installed, but was kinda banned from beta, because i shared localized RC version on torrents.
Yeah those torrents will get you

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2009   #5
quaren

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 7600
 
 

so is there really no fix for this?... is the only thing to do just have the taskbar not autohide and wait till MS issues a patch for it?...

I have gone through every single possible combination of power settings both in my BIOS and in windows to no avail, and I am getting sick and tired of it. I did not have this problem with build 7057 and I really can't fathom how MS still hasn't fixed this for the RTM release if it is a known bug from so long ago. There have to be more people that use the autohide with the monitor set to go to stand-by other than myself....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2009   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by quaren View Post
so is there really no fix for this?... is the only thing to do just have the taskbar not autohide and wait till MS issues a patch for it?...

I have gone through every single possible combination of power settings both in my BIOS and in windows to no avail, and I am getting sick and tired of it. I did not have this problem with build 7057 and I really can't fathom how MS still hasn't fixed this for the RTM release if it is a known bug from so long ago. There have to be more people that use the autohide with the monitor set to go to stand-by other than myself....
Q

We're all sorry but no fix, and probably not going to be till maybe sp1

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2009   #7
quaren

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 7600
 
 

no fix 'till sp1? that seems strange, would a hotfix not be simple and effective?... as long as Microsoft is aware of the problem I don't see how it would be difficult to fix it, with build 7057 it did not exist.

Anyways, thanks for the speedy reply. I was wondering if this bug is an issue with just the OS or between the OS and drivers/BIOS...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #8
headshot

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

this one is from my thread: https://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...ay-turned.html




Quote:
i hereby conclude what makes my desktop freezes is when i checked on "auto-hide the taskbar" setting on taskbar properties and used "turn off display after" setting.

so, these are things that might happen:

1. i disabled "auto-hide the taskbar" and disabled "turn off display after"
with / without any open programs
result: desktop fine

2. i enabled "auto-hide the
taskbar" and disabled "turn off display after"
with / without any open programs
result: desktop fine

3. i disabled
"auto-hide the taskbar" and enabled "turn off display after"
with / without any open programs
result: desktop fine

4. i enabled
"auto-hide the taskbar" and enabled "turn off display after"
with a/some open program(s)
result: desktop fine

5. i enabled "auto-hide the taskbar" and enabled "turn off display after"
without any open programs
result: desktop freezes
i thought it was just me!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2011   #9
viru365

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

And I had a similar problem, but I was somewhat removed so I am under the power settings and turn off the screen to never enrolled.
I turned on the screensaver and put in some time eg 3 minute.Screensaver I put on blank.
I know it s not perfect, but bether than nothing.
Hope other windows fix this problem!!!

Sory, for bad english.(Google translate)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Monitor sleep/wakeup problem with auto-hide taskbar




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Why won't the taskbar auto-hide?
Anyone else seen this. I cannot get the task bar to auto hide. I tell it to auto-hide, but it always stays on top, which is annoying because it covers other useful stuff.. Any help appreciated..
General Discussion
Taskbar Auto-hide but with Taskbar showing
Hey guys, I was wondering how I could have the "auto-hide the taskbar" option on but the taskbar still being displayed. Because I have my taskbar to where it's transparent and I would like the extra space from the auto-hide. This is what I want it to ultimately look like.
Customization
Taskbar (Auto-Hide) doesn't hide all the way?
My friend was wandering how you could get rid of that barely top part of the task bar when it is in auto-hide. So is this possible? Note: You have to look really close to see it.
Themes and Styles
Auto-hide Taskbar Fails to Auto-hide
I set the Taskbar tab (in Taskbar & Start menu Properties) to Auto-hide the Taskbar. When I select Apply, the taskbar dips and disappears for a second and then comes right back and stays there. Is there a way to make the auto-hide work? W7 Home 6.1 / 7600 Thank you
General Discussion
Disable taskbar Auto-Hide when taskbar isn't covered?
Is this possible? I want to make it so that when no windows are maximized (when the taskbar isn't covered with anything) auto hide disables itself and the taskbar is shown. Is this possible?
Customization
Problem with auto-hide taskbar
I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit :D and have a problem with the taskbar. I changed the properties to auto-hide, but I experience problems with Google Chrome and Songbird (Maybe others too, I haven't tried yet). Normally, when I use Internet Explorer for instance, a small edge of the taskbar stays...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App