Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Will it possibly work?

24 Jul 2011   #1
joelkat

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
Will it possibly work?

I am planning on buying a new graphics card.. SadlyI believe it says 300 watt psu but im 250 and my cpu pulls like 95W but i heard this will work PC experts please? I only got like 73 $? D: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...472&CatId=3669


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Jul 2011   #2
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

The wattage recommendations are just estimates based on "typical" system setups. It really depends on many factors:
  • How many components you have installed in your PC and what they draw for power - just one hard drive and one DVD?
  • How hard you are going to push this video card.
  • How many amps you have available on the 12 volt rail - this is actually more important than total watts.
  • And how old the power supply is. They lose power as they get older.
Your answers to those question determines your likelihood of success with an underpowered system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2011   #3
joelkat

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
The wattage recommendations are just estimates based on "typical" system setups. It really depends on many factors:
  • How many components you have installed in your PC and what they draw for power - just one hard drive and one DVD?
  • How hard you are going to push this video card.
  • How many amps you have available on the 12 volt rail - this is actually more important than total watts.
  • And how old the power supply is. They lose power as they get older.
Your answers to those question determines your likelihood of success with an underpowered system.
@TVeblen Yes, Not too hard. like Mem Clock set at MAYBE just 800-900 then the other 700.., Idk about rail.. my pc is the Compaq Presario CQ5500Y original power supply ( diff CPU and GFX ) bought the pc 1 yr ago.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jul 2011   #4
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

It's probably OK.

From a quick check of the Web, I'd guess that the peak power dissipation of the GT 520 is 38W. (The maximum permitted for a card without auxiliary power connectors would be 75W.) I haven't found similar numbers for the 4350 that you have now, but it appears to be less. The manufacturers of some HD4350 card recommend 300W, or even 400W, power supplies. It helps if your CPU is a 45W Sempron 140. (Why do you write 95W? I see that's the maximum TDP supported by the Presario CQ5500Y.)

What I can't tell you is whether the 520 is a worthwhile upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2011   #5
joelkat

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
It's probably OK.

From a quick check of the Web, I'd guess that the peak power dissipation of the GT 520 is 38W. (The maximum permitted for a card without auxiliary power connectors would be 75W.) I haven't found similar numbers for the 4350 that you have now, but it appears to be less. The manufacturers of some HD4350 card recommend 300W, or even 400W, power supplies. It helps if your CPU is a 45W Sempron 140. (Why do you write 95W? I see that's the maximum TDP supported by the Presario CQ5500Y.)

What I can't tell you is whether the 520 is a worthwhile upgrade.
Bobkn I got a new duo core 2.8 GHz Processor that is exactly 95w.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2011   #6
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joelkat View Post
I am planning on buying a new graphics card.. SadlyI believe it says 300 watt psu but im 250 and my cpu pulls like 95W but i heard this will work PC experts please? I only got like 73 $? D: ASUS ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) GeForce GT 520 Silent Video Card - 1GB, DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, VGA, DirectX 11, Single-Slot, Low Profile at TigerDirect.com
You sent me a VM with a request for my opinion.

My answer is no it will not work properly.

Reason. The video card is rated at 300W minimum power supply.

IF you were to upgrade to a new power supply you would want a 350-400 watt power supply minimum for that video card and your other components.

If you had a 300W in your PC I would say probably but plan on replacing the power supply soon.

250W not a chance.

Also as others have pointed out the only gain may be the DX11 capability anyway.
The card may actually be worse than what you have in all other aspects for gaming.

Just my opinion since you asked.

Hope that helps.
Mike
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2011   #7
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

I agree with Hopalong, a 300W will supply maybe the amps on the 12V to power your system, but I think would still be very under powered. Since yours is only 250W you would risk frying your motherboard, RAM, or CPU or all of the above.

You'll need to save up for a better power supply, then think about a GFX card which would be better than what you have. Your 4350 may be better that the 520 you're proposing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2011   #8
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post

(snip)

250W not a chance.

(snip)

Just my opinion since you asked.

Hope that helps.
Mike
Absolutely no, but it's an opinion?

Sheesh.

The system already has a 4350 card in it, which also "requires" a 300W PSU.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...n=&lid=1&leg=0#

(I picked an example with 256MB ov VRAM. Do they come any weaker than that?)

Discouraging someone from wasting money on an upgrade of dubious performace increase (even if it works properly) in an appliance PC is probably good. Joelkat seems to be unusually determined, though: how many people upgrade the CPUs in their Compaq desktops?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Will it possibly work?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
cheapest SSD possibly available?
Cheapest smallest (in gb) that can fit a windows 7 on it? i dont care for power savings or features or anything fancy smancy just whatever the cheapest smallest drive available is?
Hardware & Devices
Wifi issues, multiple reasons why it may not work possibly IP address
so ive been trying to fix this issue for weeks on end. no luck! :cry: first of all, my router is one of the standard comcast xfinity routers. the nicer ones they provide i believe. ive never had the greatest connection considering i have my rig on the top floor, but it was never horrible...
Network & Sharing
Possibly bad HDD motor?
Recently whenever I bring the computer out of sleep mode or restart it after a proper shut down one of the HDD gives off this creepy noise the kind when a motor is strained it lasts for a short second while the HDD spins up but it stops. Otherwise the HDDs themselves are fine no clicking, can run...
Hardware & Devices
How can a phishing attack possibly work with e-mail filtration?
With all of the awareness today of malware, free anti-virus programs, and aggressive email filtering, it would seem that only the careless or ignorant would manage to get their computers infected. But phishing still seems to be the most popular way to get an infection. Someone gets an e-mail...
System Security
need help connecting a ps2 and possibly other consoles to vga
i have a tv, but do not care for playing games in my room, so i found out my lcd monitors give me the option to change input, currently all my monitors are connected using dvi-d so i thought since i have a vga input available that ican freely change the input to, it would be more efficient to use...
Graphic Cards
Is this possibly my scanner?
Everything is running fine in the rig I was just doing some weekly checks and I noticed this in the hardware section that I have highlighted. Nothing is not working except the scanner which will not work under WIN 7 - 64. Could that be the possibly what i am seeing ? Steve
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App