Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 1/2 the ram showing up in system info

01 Aug 2011   #21
drmax

W7 premium 64
 
 
HDD redo

I shouldn't have to redo my W7, because of a new mobo, correct?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Aug 2011   #22
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by drmax View Post
I shouldn't have to redo my W7, because of a new mobo, correct?
If you're lucky, swapping one mobo for an identical replacement should absolutely minimize to zero what the "new hardware wizard" in Win7 will see when it comes up for the first time with essentially everything of significance replaced in this "radical surgery".

The "mass replacement parts" will be recognized as different from what they were, but my guess is that it will all be handled successfully and that you can escape needing a clean reinstall of Win7 to handle the swap. Fingers crossed for you, as there will be no truly and significantly new hardware detected.

But it would be wise to have an adequate backup of anything you have in place right now in your existing Win7 installed system just in case it is necessary to truly reinstall.

Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2011   #23
drmax

W7 premium 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by drmax View Post
I shouldn't have to redo my W7, because of a new mobo, correct?
If you're lucky, swapping one mobo for an identical replacement should absolutely minimize to zero what the "new hardware wizard" in Win7 will see when it comes up for the first time with essentially everything of significance replaced in this "radical surgery".

The "mass replacement parts" will be recognized as different from what they were, but my guess is that it will all be handled successfully and that you can escape needing a clean reinstall of Win7 to handle the swap. Fingers crossed for you, as there will be no truly and significantly new hardware detected.

But it would be wise to have an adequate backup of anything you have in place right now in your existing Win7 installed system just in case it is necessary to truly reinstall.

Good luck.
brand new, so "nothing" there to lose...uh, but one thing...did I just lose one of my installs of windows 7...if I have to redo, for I thought I have 3 installs on 3 different machines?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Aug 2011   #24
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

brand new, so "nothing" there to lose[/quote]Then there's nothing really to lose, so you might as well just try it and see if Win7's "new hardware detected" can handle the overwhelming changes, even though they're all just the same as before. This really should be possible, as all the chipset drivers, device drivers for onboard hardware, etc., are already present and installed in your existing DriverRepository folder. My guess is that it should work.

Quote:
...uh, but one thing...did I just lose one of my installs of windows 7...if I have to redo, for I thought I have 3 installs on 3 different machines?
I don't follow what you're asking.

What 3 machines? I thought we're talking about a specific machine with a bad memory socket in the mobo?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2011   #25
drmax

W7 premium 64
 
 

When you register a copy of Windows to a PC, does it register the HHD or the mobo? I don't understand this procedure, but i "thought" either of these devices changed, would take away 1 of the 3 times I could install my OEM W7 I just purchased. Advise if you can....DM
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2011   #26
drmax

W7 premium 64
 
 

disregard...starting a new thread
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 1/2 the ram showing up in system info




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
System Info - See Your System Specs
How to See Your System Specs with "System Info" System Info is free Seven Forums program that CyberZeus has kindly made for us. It let's you easily see all of your system information, and has an option to make filling out your system specs here at Seven Forums easier to do. Here's...
Tutorials
BIOS showing invalid info, time resets every time shut down.
I just replaced my laptop motheboard. With the new motherboard, time always reset after shutdown, and sometimes the little internet icon in the bottom right corner would be invisible. So i upgraded my bios, and still have same problem. I have a LENOVO G470 with InsydeH2O BIOS. I have an image of...
General Discussion
PC not showing correct model info or image in Devices & Printers
Hey everyone :) I'm facing a peculiar problem with my computer; it's in Devices & Printers. I remember I used to have a fancy image of my computer displayed, but now it doesn't anymore and it doesn't have my correct model listed either :( As you can see, my printer and Logitech receiver have the...
Hardware & Devices
Processor info is showing wrongly in system info after changing MB
Yesterday I bought a new mother board for my PC my Processor model is AMD Athlon II X3 440 Triple Core Processor, but after changing Mother Board in system information it's showing my Processor as AMD Phenom II 4 B40 four core processor. I don't know why it is showing like this. Is this dangerous...
Hardware & Devices
Laptop Shortcut Keys Not Showing Volume info etc.
I recently installed some windows 7 updates, and after the reboot I realized the Function shortcut keys were not working perfectly (ie. Fn+F5 for volume up, Fn+F3 to shut off wireless etc.). In other words, they do what they are supposed to, but there is no longer an icon that pops up in the middle...
General Discussion
need someone to look up some system info on your PC
I mucked with my Circular Kernel Context Logger to get some trace data and now it won't start when Win 7 boots. I reset what I recall changing, but I do remember changing some security as the output .etl dataset couldn't be read or takeown'ed by me. However, if I manually start it (right-click...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:53.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App