Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Show us your SSD performance

10 Apr 2011   #1261
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

1. Each partition should be imaged seperately and restored seperately. I am not sure whether Acronis can "shrink" an image (free Macrium cannot do that), but to be safe, you should shrink the partitions to an equal or smaller size than the receiving partition on the SSD.

2. I would put only the OS and the system reserved 100MB active partition on the SSD. The user data I would leave on the spinners. The D partition which contains some of your program files could go on the SSD too. But I would put the prigram files back onto C before you image and get rid of that extra program file partition - it is not worth the trouble for 5GBs.

3. Format and align the first partitions on the SSD (probably the 100MB active primary partition) with Command Prompt first as shown in the tutorial. The rest of the unallocated space you can then partition with Disk Management (or Partition Wizard if you prefer). If the first partition is properly aligned, the rest will follow the alignment.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Apr 2011   #1262
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
1. Each partition should be imaged seperately and restored seperately. I am not sure whether Acronis can "shrink" an image (free Macrium cannot do that), but to be safe, you should shrink the partitions to an equal or smaller size than the receiving partition on the SSD.

2. I would put only the OS and the system reserved 100MB active partition on the SSD. The user data I would leave on the spinners. The D partition which contains some of your program files could go on the SSD too. But I would put the prigram files back onto C before you image and get rid of that extra program file partition - it is not worth the trouble for 5GBs.

3. Format and align the first partitions on the SSD (probably the 100MB active primary partition) with Command Prompt first as shown in the tutorial. The rest of the unallocated space you can then partition with Disk Management (or Partition Wizard if you prefer). If the first partition is properly aligned, the rest will follow the alignment.
I want to thank you but I am going to try it my way first.
Reason is I have this system setup exactly as I want it. OS, programs, everything.
Problem in trying it the way you suggest is I will end up doing a reinstall. And I'm not going through that again.
I do not know of any imaging program that can reimage a drive one partition at a time and have the system boot. Tried that the other day as a test. Once I was done trying to image the C drive & sys reserve with the MBR the system just hung at boot. The only way to restore a OS drive is to do the whole drive at once. Otherwise it does not work.
Acronis TI can & can not shrink a image. It can put part of a image, a secondary/last partition, on the remaining space of a drive after it create the main/first partition and any other partitions, if more then 2, at the same size as what the image was created from. That is if there is enough space left on the drive to hold whatever data is in that last partition.
When I look at my current setup using a partitions program and Disk Management and my current drive seems to be aligned properly.

I will follow your advice about first aligning and formatting the 100MB partition. But once I start the reimaging that partition will get wiped and remade by the image program. That's just the way it is. I don't know of any imaging program that can load a image on a drive without first wiping and recreating the partitions. Yes they can copy files to a already existing partition but that won't do if you actually want the OS to BOOT.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #1263
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Here is the output from Diskpart on my OS drive

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 100 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Primary 82 GB 101 MB
Partition 3 Primary 149 GB 83 GB

I would think that the image created from this disk and then load on the SSD would put everything back the same. Which is the way you say to align the drive in your tutorial.

Right/Wrong?

Does the Offset for the second and third partitions matter?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Apr 2011   #1264
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

1. Is that diskpart is from your spinning disk ?

2. You have to align the SSD first, the imaging program will not do that for you, unless you use this one: Paragon Migrate OS to SSD - System migration to Solid State Drives (SSD) - Overview

3. Partition 2 and 3 are OK in terms of alignment
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #1265
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
1. Is that diskpart is from your spinning disk ?

2. You have to align the SSD first, the imaging program will not do that for you, unless you use this one: Paragon Migrate OS to SSD - System migration to Solid State Drives (SSD) - Overview

3. Partition 2 and 3 are OK in terms of alignment
Yes that is from the spinner.

But if this drives layout, the spinner, is aligned properly now the image I just created should has the same alignment when placed on the SSD.

No?

Maybe I'm missing something. The image I am currently using on my current spinner was made from another drive that I replaced. If the original drive had the 1024KB alignment and that image copied that alignment over to this newer drive why wouldn't it do the same when loading it on the SSD?
I will first boot the system from a Mustang PE disk with TI 2011 and Disk Director and make that 100MB partition. I'll also check that the Mustang PE disk has diskpart on it to check the alignment before and after the imaging.

I'll check out that link. Thanks.

Oh here is the partition alignment after I resized the C partition.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 100 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Primary 60 GB 101 MB
Partition 3 Primary 171 GB 61 GB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #1266
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

@ whs

I'm a little confused and actually think his partition is aligned. This is why....

If we look at Diskpart......

It shows the 100MB partition as 1024, it also shows the main partion "C" drive as 101

Show us your SSD performance-diskpart.jpg

Now If we than use Partition Alignment Tool from Paragon to "align" the "C" the program will tell you the drive is already aligned!

Show us your SSD performance-partition-alighnment-tool.jpg

SIW2 asked this question......

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
I dunno about lucky, whs.

MS deliberately set Vista alignment that way.

Unless you want to shell out for PAT ( works very well, btw ), you could try this:

Image your main partition with macrium/paragon.

Delete the main partition with diskpart from 7 dvd.

Create new main partition with alignment you want - still using Diskpart.

Restore the image you made to that new partition.

See if the alignment is retained - I expect it will be.

Before you do that- you need to ask:

If 1024 is divisible by 4, is 101 x 1024 also divisible by 4 ?
Post: SSD Alignment

I think he might have a point..... at least PAT thinks so.

I also note that AS SSD Benchmark tool shows the the partition is OK (Aligned)

Show us your SSD performance-ssd-bench.jpg

Bottom line is everything showing "C" drive with an offset of 101 is aligned.

What am I missing?

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #1267
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Thank you sygnus21.

I really think people are making this harder then it is.
Most if not all imaging programs are designed to place the image on another drive exactly as it was on the drive it was created from.

If your present drive is properly aligned and the image you create from it is good then when loading that image on ANY other drive it should be placed in the exact same location on disk.

Just checked my Mustang PE disk and it does have Diskpart on it. Did all the checks one more time and everything is aligned as the tutorial stated. 1024KB for the start of the 100MB partition and 101 for the 60GB partition and 61GB for the last partition.

I know for a fact that Acronis TI, since version 9, will create partitions at the exact same place as where they were.

I'm going to do a little test. I have a 160GB drive I'm goning to load this newest image on. With the C partition resized to 60GB and the D partition now at somewhere around 170++.
TI should create the 100MB partition at the front of the drive with the alignment of 1024KB, the C partition of 60GB and then place all the data from the D partition on whatever is left. I'll soon find out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #1268
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
1. Is that diskpart is from your spinning disk ?

2. You have to align the SSD first, the imaging program will not do that for you, unless you use this one: Paragon Migrate OS to SSD - System migration to Solid State Drives (SSD) - Overview

3. Partition 2 and 3 are OK in terms of alignment
Yes that is from the spinner.

But if this drives layout, the spinner, is aligned properly now the image I just created should has the same alignment when placed on the SSD.

No?

Maybe I'm missing something. The image I am currently using on my current spinner was made from another drive that I replaced. If the original drive had the 1024KB alignment and that image copied that alignment over to this newer drive why wouldn't it do the same when loading it on the SSD?
I will first boot the system from a Mustang PE disk with TI 2011 and Disk Director and make that 100MB partition. I'll also check that the Mustang PE disk has diskpart on it to check the alignment before and after the imaging.

I'll check out that link. Thanks.

Oh here is the partition alignment after I resized the C partition.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 100 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Primary 60 GB 101 MB
Partition 3 Primary 171 GB 61 GB
It does not matter what the spinner layout is - the SSD has to be aligned.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #1269
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

@ Shootist....

Well I know there was a great deal of talk about ATI 2011 being the only backup that truly did alignments, but I suspect that if the image is aligned to begin with, then theoretically it should be aligned when restored. I say theoretically because that's been a big debate about whether ATI of earlier does in fact restore the image aligned. http://kb.acronis.com/content/2699

Anyway I'm no expert and haven't done the experiment to see if this is in fact the case. I suppose I could since I actually have ATI 2010 but....

As for my question to whs, I'm not challenging his knowledge per se as he's helped me understand some things, and has a better grasp on hard drive performance/alignment than I do, I'm just asking for clarification.

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #1270
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
@ whs

I'm a little confused and actually think his partition is aligned. This is why....

If we look at Diskpart......

It shows the 100MB partition as 1024, it also shows the main partion "C" drive as 101

Attachment 148383

Now If we than use Partition Alignment Tool from Paragon to "align" the "C" the program will tell you the drive is already aligned!

Attachment 148384

SIW2 asked this question......

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
I dunno about lucky, whs.

MS deliberately set Vista alignment that way.

Unless you want to shell out for PAT ( works very well, btw ), you could try this:

Image your main partition with macrium/paragon.

Delete the main partition with diskpart from 7 dvd.

Create new main partition with alignment you want - still using Diskpart.

Restore the image you made to that new partition.

See if the alignment is retained - I expect it will be.

Before you do that- you need to ask:

If 1024 is divisible by 4, is 101 x 1024 also divisible by 4 ?
Post: SSD Alignment

I think he might have a point..... at least PAT thinks so.

I also note that AS SSD Benchmark tool shows the the partition is OK (Aligned)

Attachment 148385

Bottom line is everything showing "C" drive with an offset of 101 is aligned.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Where is the confusion. When the 100MB partition is aligned, the rest follows. You may note that your C is 101 MBs, not KBs. And 101MB is 101.000KB which is divisible by 4KB - 101KB is not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Show us your SSD performance




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Show us your hard drive performance
I thought it would be interesting to compare everyones hard drive performances with screenshots from HD Tune utility (get from HD Tune). Maybe after some time we could produce a results table. So heres mine: Im going to show you the single WD Raptor X results first for interest: ...
Hardware & Devices
Show us your SSD performance 2
Continued from: https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/18229-show-us-your-ssd-performance.html Benchmark Program Links: AS SSD Benchmark OR AS SSD Benchmark Download - Softpedia
Hardware & Devices
SSD show low performance
I bought a Samsung 840 EVO120Gb which is showing a very disappointing performance. My system is the following: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Asus P7P55 WS GSkill 12gb Intel i5 760 2.8Ghz 4x Nvidia Quadro NVS 290
Performance & Maintenance
HDDs Show in BIOS, But Do Not Show in Disk Management
Hello, A newbie here that just completed a first-time new Win7 PC build. Successful installation of Win7 Pro on WD 600GB 10000 system drive. Went back and installed 4 additional HDD. (2) WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM and (2) WD Caviar 7200 500GB HDD from XP system that were used for storage. ...
Hardware & Devices
Show us your Mechanical HDD performance...
Since the SSD boys and girls have a "Show us your SSD Performance" thread, I thought I'd start one for us mechanical HDD owners. Simply DL, install, and run HD Tune and post screenshots of results here in this thread. Please also tell us the Make and Model of your HDD(s) and any other specs you...
Hardware & Devices
show hidden folders show file extensions thru registry
I am trying to setup a default user or machine setup for how win7 handles folder view options. I want show hidden folders to be set to on for all users and the hide extensions for know file types to be unchecked or turned off ffor all users (so extensions show) I have located them in the registry...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App