Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Show us your SSD performance

10 Apr 2011   #1271
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
Thank you sygnus21.

I really think people are making this harder then it is.
Most if not all imaging programs are designed to place the image on another drive exactly as it was on the drive it was created from.

If your present drive is properly aligned and the image you create from it is good then when loading that image on ANY other drive it should be placed in the exact same location on disk.

Just checked my Mustang PE disk and it does have Diskpart on it. Did all the checks one more time and everything is aligned as the tutorial stated. 1024KB for the start of the 100MB partition and 101 for the 60GB partition and 61GB for the last partition.

I know for a fact that Acronis TI, since version 9, will create partitions at the exact same place as where they were.

I'm going to do a little test. I have a 160GB drive I'm goning to load this newest image on. With the C partition resized to 60GB and the D partition now at somewhere around 170++.
TI should create the 100MB partition at the front of the drive with the alignment of 1024KB, the C partition of 60GB and then place all the data from the D partition on whatever is left. I'll soon find out.
Are you doing this test on a new SSD that was never aligned - only that would count. And if the first partition is aligned, the rest follows.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Apr 2011   #1272
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Where is the confusion. When the 100MB partition is aligned, the rest follows. You may note that your C is 101 MBs, not KBs.
I guess I was confused by your statement here....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
1024 multiplied with any number is divisible by 4. But what does that tell me? Are you suggesting that the 101 offset of the second partition is OK?
That obviously was in response to this....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Before you do that- you need to ask:

If 1024 is divisible by 4, is 101 x 1024 also divisible by 4 ?
BTW where did I mention KB's?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #1273
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
It does not matter what the spinner layout is - the SSD has to be aligned.
Ok thanks.
Then tell me this. I just did my little test. Took the image with the resized drive, which is from a 250GB drive, and loaded that on a 160GB drive.
This is what I get from DP for that drive.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 100 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Primary 60 GB 101 MB
Partition 3 Primary 87 GB 61 GB

Everything is still aligned as it was.

What is the big deal with SSDs.
Even if I first align the SSD once I load that image on it it will wipe out that 100MB partition and recreate it. Physically wiping out the alignment I just did. Right?

Well in a few days I will find out.

Thanks again. Will post back with my findings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Apr 2011   #1274
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Are you doing this test on a new SSD that was never aligned - only that would count. And if the first partition is aligned, the rest follows.
No I don't have it yet. But please tell me what makes SSDs so different then any other spinning drive.

As I posted above if I align the SSD then load that image on it the imaging program will WIPE out whatever partitions are already on the drive and create the new partitions as they were when the image was created.

I really don't see why this is so hard.

I guess I'm really missing something here.

As I said above, I will find out in a few days.

EDIT:
Please explain why when loading a image on a SSD that the imaging program would not PLACE that image in the exact same place on the SSD as it was on the spinner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #1275
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
It does not matter what the spinner layout is - the SSD has to be aligned.
Ok thanks.
Then tell me this. I just did my little test. Took the image with the resized drive, which is from a 250GB drive, and loaded that on a 160GB drive.
This is what I get from DP for that drive.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 100 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Primary 60 GB 101 MB
Partition 3 Primary 87 GB 61 GB

Everything is still aligned as it was.

What is the big deal with SSDs.
Even if I first align the SSD once I load that image on it it will wipe out that 100MB partition and recreate it. Physically wiping out the alignment I just did. Right?

Well in a few days I will find out.

Thanks again. Will post back with my findings.
Do not go by spinning disks. Fact is that you first have to align a new SSD. Once it is aligned, you are ok.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #1276
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Are you doing this test on a new SSD that was never aligned - only that would count. And if the first partition is aligned, the rest follows.
No I don't have it yet. But please tell me what makes SSDs so different then any other spinning drive.

As I posted above if I align the SSD then load that image on it the imaging program will WIPE out whatever partitions are already on the drive and create the new partitions as they were when the image was created.

I really don't see why this is so hard.

I guess I'm really missing something here.

As I said above, I will find out in a few days.


EDIT:
Please explain why when loading a image on a SSD that the imaging program would not PLACE that image in the exact same place on the SSD as it was on the spinner.
Yeah, you will find out in a few days. I can only tell you what I experienced with my five SSDs. But maybe yours is different and "auto-aligns".

Quote:
Please explain why when loading a image on a SSD that the imaging program would not PLACE that image in the exact same place on the SSD as it was on the spinner.
You place them as you like and as you have defined the partitions. The imaging program does nothing automatically. It puts the partition(s) to the place you direct it to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #1277
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post

Yeah, you will find out in a few days. I can only tell you what I experienced with my five SSDs. But maybe yours is different and "auto-aligns".

Quote:
Please explain why when loading a image on a SSD that the imaging program would not PLACE that image in the exact same place on the SSD as it was on the spinner.
You place them as you like and as you have defined the partitions. The imaging program does nothing automatically. It puts the partition(s) to the place you direct it to.
Found this over at the Acronis forums.

For SSDs, ATI will automatically align a partition when you prepare a new disk, when you restore a single partition (case where you can resize it), and when you restore an entire disk that is aligned.
If you restore an entire disk using an image of a non-aligned disk, the restored disk will not be aligned.

If you clone a disk that is not aligned, the cloned disk will not be aligned.
If you clone a disk that is aligned, the cloned disk will be aligned.

Yet another (hopefully the definitive) SSD Alignment Thread | Knowledge Base

So I'm good to go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #1278
Kinda

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
SDD Performance

Windows7 Forum SSD

I run five SDD all in Intel Raid 0, I have three 30GB OCZ Vertex as my main Windows7 system drive witch has run 24/7 for the past 16 months, it also has Ubuntu partition, my main program's run on two 60GB Vertex 2 E Intel Raid 0 on which I also store my RamDrive and VMware disks, I have all the tweaks and updated firmware, I leave prefetch alone as I donít see any advantage to changing it the performance has stayed the same, I believe itís because I run Diskeeper in the background and use Perfectdisk to defrag free space if performance as shown in Perfectdisk drops to 97% doesnít show in real world and its only around once every three months, I donít have the Windows7 100mb partition on any disks but have 1024mb offset on both SSD raids sets, I use Intel Rapid Storage driver 10.1.0.1008 and have Ghost clones of both disks touch wood not had to use them yet as Windows7 is just super stable, even though I run four raid sets with all first partitionís bootable to Windows7 and independent partitions with Ubuntu, XP64, XenServer, Windows2000 & 2003 serverís even have DOS 5.1 and 6.2 boot partitions.

My data and Backups are spread between two Seagate Barracuda 500GB Intel Raid 0 and two WD Carver Black 1TB Sata-III Marvel Raid 0 which stays in Raid 0 and can be booted to even when I break the Intel Raids in bios settings to update the SDD firmware again touch wood no data loss ever and as long as I donít format I can flash them with the latest firmware with the OCZ tool from within Windows7/64 running on Marvel Raid array and then reset the bios to Raid and boot to them.

All in all SSDís are well worth the effort as performance is topís the 3x Vertex run around 65-70 second reboot with ReStarttime.vbs without Marvel Raid card connected and 80-85 secondís with, the 2x Vertex 2E run 70-75 without Marvel and 85-90 with it installed as the marvel adds around 15-20 seconds to load and check its drivers both SDD Raids score 7.9 in Windows7 performance.

Link showing my Disk Bench marks.
Link To Windows7 Performance.
Link to Restart Timer 3x Vertex Intel Raid 0 With Marvel driver installed canít find snap without it and donít have time to unload Marvel will post link when I have time all snaps have 90+ services running and a 3 second pause at system select screen.
Link to Restart Timer 2x Vertex 2e Intel Raid 0 Without Marvel driver installed
Link to Restart Timer 2x Vertex 2e Intel Raid 0 With Marvel driver installed
Link to Prime95 Bench-test
Link to System Temps Intel Burn-Test 64, 21-22 x 201MHz = 4400MHz Max with C1 stepping, Memory is GT 2000 8-8-8 24 but run 24/7 with 6-6-6 16 @800MHz runs 24/7 Hyper/Turbo/Stepping Enabled
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #1279
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post

Yeah, you will find out in a few days. I can only tell you what I experienced with my five SSDs. But maybe yours is different and "auto-aligns".

Quote:
Please explain why when loading a image on a SSD that the imaging program would not PLACE that image in the exact same place on the SSD as it was on the spinner.
You place them as you like and as you have defined the partitions. The imaging program does nothing automatically. It puts the partition(s) to the place you direct it to.
Found this over at the Acronis forums.

For SSDs, ATI will automatically align a partition when you prepare a new disk, when you restore a single partition (case where you can resize it), and when you restore an entire disk that is aligned.
If you restore an entire disk using an image of a non-aligned disk, the restored disk will not be aligned.

If you clone a disk that is not aligned, the cloned disk will not be aligned.
If you clone a disk that is aligned, the cloned disk will be aligned.

Yet another (hopefully the definitive) SSD Alignment Thread | Knowledge Base

So I'm good to go.
This is good to know. I never used Acronis on an SSD - just years ago on spinners.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #1280
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post

Found this over at the Acronis forums.

For SSDs, ATI will automatically align a partition when you prepare a new disk, when you restore a single partition (case where you can resize it), and when you restore an entire disk that is aligned.
If you restore an entire disk using an image of a non-aligned disk, the restored disk will not be aligned.

If you clone a disk that is not aligned, the cloned disk will not be aligned.
If you clone a disk that is aligned, the cloned disk will be aligned.

Yet another (hopefully the definitive) SSD Alignment Thread | Knowledge Base

So I'm good to go.
This is good to know. I never used Acronis on an SSD - just years ago on spinners.
Well I would think any UP TO DATE imaging program would handle this the same way.
That is taking a image of the COMPLETE DRIVE, not just individual partitions even if you did all partitions on the drive one by one, and restoring that COMPLETE image.

I think the problems started when people just imaged the system/boot partitions and then tried to restore them to a SSD. Acronis even states in that case the offset will not be correct. Without first aligning the drive.

Actually I can't wait to get this new SSD and most of all see how the imaging goes. I'll know Wednesday night.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Show us your SSD performance




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Show us your SSD performance 2
Continued from: https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/18229-show-us-your-ssd-performance.html Benchmark Program Links: AS SSD Benchmark OR AS SSD Benchmark Download - Softpedia
Hardware & Devices
Show us your hard drive performance
I thought it would be interesting to compare everyones hard drive performances with screenshots from HD Tune utility (get from HD Tune). Maybe after some time we could produce a results table. So heres mine: Im going to show you the single WD Raptor X results first for interest: ...
Hardware & Devices
SSD show low performance
I bought a Samsung 840 EVO120Gb which is showing a very disappointing performance. My system is the following: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Asus P7P55 WS GSkill 12gb Intel i5 760 2.8Ghz 4x Nvidia Quadro NVS 290
Performance & Maintenance
HDDs Show in BIOS, But Do Not Show in Disk Management
Hello, A newbie here that just completed a first-time new Win7 PC build. Successful installation of Win7 Pro on WD 600GB 10000 system drive. Went back and installed 4 additional HDD. (2) WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM and (2) WD Caviar 7200 500GB HDD from XP system that were used for storage. ...
Hardware & Devices
Show us your Mechanical HDD performance...
Since the SSD boys and girls have a "Show us your SSD Performance" thread, I thought I'd start one for us mechanical HDD owners. Simply DL, install, and run HD Tune and post screenshots of results here in this thread. Please also tell us the Make and Model of your HDD(s) and any other specs you...
Hardware & Devices
show hidden folders show file extensions thru registry
I am trying to setup a default user or machine setup for how win7 handles folder view options. I want show hidden folders to be set to on for all users and the hide extensions for know file types to be unchecked or turned off ffor all users (so extensions show) I have located them in the registry...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App