Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Show us your SSD performance

25 Jul 2011   #1981
paulpicks21

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
Essenbe

Something I ran into when I put mine in. The SSD with the OS was continuously Indexing the old HDD that was the Boot and System HDD.

In Disk Management "D" was still showing and marked "Active" and "Primary".
It was no longer marked Boot or System though.
All I had to do was right click and change it as I show in Snip.

Anyway when I got "D" set to just "Primary" it quit indexing.
This did slow the SSD down a bit.

Storage is just "Primary" which I know you know but like me did you double check it?
If that isn't the problem I'm not sure what it is.
Mike
That's interesting hopalong, never given a thought to mine but it looks like this.

Is this wrong and if so then is there any way to change it keeping all the data intact on it?




Attached Thumbnails
Show us your SSD performance-diskmanagement.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jul 2011   #1982
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
Essenbe

Something I ran into when I put mine in. The SSD with the OS was continuously Indexing the old HDD that was the Boot and System HDD.

In Disk Management "D" was still showing and marked "Active" and "Primary".
It was no longer marked Boot or System though.
All I had to do was right click and change it as I show in Snip.

Anyway when I got "D" set to just "Primary" it quit indexing.
This did slow the SSD down a bit.

Storage is just "Primary" which I know you know but like me did you double check it?
If that isn't the problem I'm not sure what it is.
Mike
That's interesting hopalong, never given a thought to mine but it looks like this.

Is this wrong and if so then is there any way to change it keeping all the data intact on it?
Paul

Yours is right.

Only one, Disk 1 is "Active" on your system.
System Reserve is on the same disk as the OS. So it is also "Active".


I edited my original post on the last page. It made sense to me but might not have to others.
Sometimes the brain plays Scrambled eggs instead of "Scrabble" with what your trying to state.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2011   #1983
paulpicks21

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Ok thanks for clearing that up bud

I think I understand but I have had a beer so my mind is not as sharp as usual lol

Paul.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jul 2011   #1984
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Mine isn't working at 100% either so it seems if you read my "red add on" above.

I haven't had any alcohol!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2011   #1985
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
Ok thanks for clearing that up bud

I think I understand but I have had a beer so my mind is not as sharp as usual lol

Paul.
Have another for me. I can't have one but sure would like to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2011   #1986
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2011   #1987
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
I just put an SSD in my new laptop. What do you guys think?
Attachment 166957

Not bad for a laptop is it?
Not bad at all.

That is a really nice laptop, and a very good price.

I like having two hard drive bays.

With two SSDs, do you see better battery life?
Mine almost doubled when I put the SSD in, still have a spinner in there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2011   #1988
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
I just put an SSD in my new laptop. What do you guys think?
Attachment 166957

Not bad for a laptop is it?
Not bad at all.

That is a really nice laptop, and a very good price.

I like having two hard drive bays.

With two SSDs, do you see better battery life?
Mine almost doubled when I put the SSD in, still have a spinner in there.
I really can't tell you. I took the battery out. We never use it. It is mostly for my Wife and she only usus it at home plugged in. In order to save the battery, I 5thought it best to just remove it until such time as we need it. But, yes I had been shopping for laptops for a long time. This was the best price for a similarly equipped laptop I could find. Consume research reviewed laptops and this one came out #5 of several hundred reviewed. I really don't put a lot of faith in that unless they rate them after using them for 5 years. But, so far it seems to be good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2011   #1989
Magron

 

I don't see the price/performance/benefit ratio as being good yet. You guys help them develop the bleeding edge and I'll jump in when it's cheap and effective, k?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2011   #1990
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Magron View Post
I don't see the price/performance/benefit ratio as being good yet. You guys help them develop the bleeding edge and I'll jump in when it's cheap and effective, k?
For an SSD?


I've done many,many upgrades over the years. Motherboards, CPUs, GPUs, Ram etc ...

I can honestly say the SSD was the only upgrade that made such an immediate difference I was amazed. Far more than any other component upgrade.
Installing Windows was faster, but even after 1st boot I could tell.

Id say they are certainly worth the investment. At least as a OS/App drive.

As a drive for Storage or for lots of games, it may not be worth the investment.
Too expensive for that much space, and it wont make enough of a difference here to justify it IMHO. Not like it does for the OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Show us your SSD performance




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Show us your hard drive performance
I thought it would be interesting to compare everyones hard drive performances with screenshots from HD Tune utility (get from HD Tune). Maybe after some time we could produce a results table. So heres mine: Im going to show you the single WD Raptor X results first for interest: ...
Hardware & Devices
Show us your SSD performance 2
Continued from: https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/18229-show-us-your-ssd-performance.html Benchmark Program Links: AS SSD Benchmark OR AS SSD Benchmark Download - Softpedia
Hardware & Devices
SSD show low performance
I bought a Samsung 840 EVO120Gb which is showing a very disappointing performance. My system is the following: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Asus P7P55 WS GSkill 12gb Intel i5 760 2.8Ghz 4x Nvidia Quadro NVS 290
Performance & Maintenance
HDDs Show in BIOS, But Do Not Show in Disk Management
Hello, A newbie here that just completed a first-time new Win7 PC build. Successful installation of Win7 Pro on WD 600GB 10000 system drive. Went back and installed 4 additional HDD. (2) WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM and (2) WD Caviar 7200 500GB HDD from XP system that were used for storage. ...
Hardware & Devices
Show us your Mechanical HDD performance...
Since the SSD boys and girls have a "Show us your SSD Performance" thread, I thought I'd start one for us mechanical HDD owners. Simply DL, install, and run HD Tune and post screenshots of results here in this thread. Please also tell us the Make and Model of your HDD(s) and any other specs you...
Hardware & Devices
show hidden folders show file extensions thru registry
I am trying to setup a default user or machine setup for how win7 handles folder view options. I want show hidden folders to be set to on for all users and the hide extensions for know file types to be unchecked or turned off ffor all users (so extensions show) I have located them in the registry...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:41.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App