Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Show us your SSD performance

16 Dec 2011   #2371
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snakeyeskm View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Hmm, the 4K performance even improved. And that is the one that counts.
You have a very perceptive eye, whs
LOL, and I only have a 20/60 vision. Can't even drive a car.
Maybe you have a selective vision


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Dec 2011   #2372
Snakeyeskm

Win 7 64 bit professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
Excellent set up Snakeyeskm.

The best I remember seeing.
Thanks Hopalong, coming from you that means a lot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #2373
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

That is an amazing SSD, Congrats.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Dec 2011   #2374
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
That is an amazing SSD, Congrats.
Yes it is,this is the best i ever saw!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #2375
Snakeyeskm

Win 7 64 bit professional
 
 

Thanks for the feedback guys. There is a new Revodrive3 X2 Max IOPs that coupled with the right system that should have amazing results. Presently difficult to get hold off.

What I wanted to point out in the post, was the benefits off building in extra manual OP when initially installing Windows on SSD drives. I have been using SSD's for a considerable time, Intel, Crucial, OCZ through their several generations and in practically every case, creating approximately 15 to 20% manual OP makes a tremendous difference in the garbage collection (particularly important in raid setups). When necessary it is a simple process within Windows to access this extra OP for traditional storage by expanding the partition. Furthermore, the garbage collection process can be greatly facilitated in heavily used SSD's by logging off the computer in the safe mode. In this mode the reduced CPU and disk activity greatly improves the garbage collection process.
Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #2376
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snakeyeskm View Post
What I wanted to point out in the post, was the benefits off building in extra manual OP when initially installing Windows on SSD drives.
Good numbers, but what the heck is this OP you keep referring too?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #2377
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snakeyeskm View Post
What I wanted to point out in the post, was the benefits off building in extra manual OP when initially installing Windows on SSD drives.
Good numbers, but what the heck is this OP you keep referring too?
OP- Over provisioning free space.

Never made sense to me because the factory over provisions SSD's out of the box.

What good an extra partitioned non used area would do is beyond me.

It isn't a fixed partitioned area as on a spinner.

I'm not sure if it helps but have never read any proof that it accomplishes anything.

I live next to Missouri which is the "Show me State." Still waiting on a credible explanation in English not jibberish.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #2378
Snakeyeskm

Win 7 64 bit professional
 
 

As Hopalong X mentioned, OP refers to over provisioning. A little explanation might help.

When you first get your SSD you will notice that the actual capacity shown in Windows is a little less than the stated size of the SSD. The difference (which puzzles some first-time SSD owners) is the part of the SSD drive allocated to OP by the manufacturer. The garbage collection and wear leveling algorithms built into SSD drives used this OP to assist in their processes.(if you need more information on how this OP is used, please post) They obviously try to achieve an optimal OP between efficiency in their algorithms and available capacity.

When the user is installing the OS on these SSD's they have the option to create a partition/partitions that do not fully utilize the available capacity. Any differences between the partition/partitions and the available capacity is referred to as the manual OP. By creating this manual OP, the efficiency of the garbage collection process can improve. Since very few users maximize the use of capacity, at least initially, leaving certain space unused is fairly easy. Recovering the space if and when needed is also easily accomplished by increasing the partition size within Windows. In raid setups, trim is not available to the SSD's and they have to depend on efficient garbage collection to maintain their speed and efficiency. Creating manual OP can greatly facilitate this process. It also helps in drives where trim is available, keeping in mind that trim is simply an instruction to the SSD and it is the garbage collection/wear leveling process that accepts the trim instruction.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #2379
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snakeyeskm View Post
As Hopalong X mentioned, OP refers to over provisioning. A little explanation might help.

When you first get your SSD you will notice that the actual capacity shown in Windows is a little less than the stated size of the SSD. The difference (which puzzles some first-time SSD owners) is the part of the SSD drive allocated to OP by the manufacturer. The garbage collection and wear leveling algorithms built into SSD drives used this OP to assist in their processes.(if you need more information on how this OP is used, please post) They obviously try to achieve an optimal OP between efficiency in their algorithms and available capacity.

When the user is installing the OS on these SSD's they have the option to create a partition/partitions that do not fully utilize the available capacity. Any differences between the partition/partitions and the available capacity is referred to as the manual OP. By creating this manual OP, the efficiency of the garbage collection process can improve. Since very few users maximize the use of capacity, at least initially, leaving certain space unused is fairly easy. Recovering the space if and when needed is also easily accomplished by increasing the partition size within Windows. In raid setups, trim is not available to the SSD's and they have to depend on efficient garbage collection to maintain their speed and efficiency. Creating manual OP can greatly facilitate this process. It also helps in drives where trim is available, keeping in mind that trim is simply an instruction to the SSD and it is the garbage collection/wear leveling process that accepts the trim instruction.
That is the most sensible explanation I have seen of over provisioing.

Speed up clear/clean garbage collection would increase speed overall the more you use the drive.

Intel doesn't use GC and the newer ones have manual TRIM available thru Tool Box.
So I have not run into this problem- yet.

If I get a Crucial m4 now it makes sense of why to over provision!

Thanks.
Mike
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #2380
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
When you first get your SSD you will notice that the actual capacity shown in Windows is a little less than the stated size of the SSD
1. For that reason some manufacturers sell 60GB SSDs which are in reality 64GB SSDs. At least they are honest.

2. Another effect is, of course, between the decimal number on the box and the binary number in the system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Show us your SSD performance




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Show us your SSD performance 2
Continued from: https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/18229-show-us-your-ssd-performance.html Benchmark Program Links: AS SSD Benchmark OR AS SSD Benchmark Download - Softpedia
Hardware & Devices
Show us your hard drive performance
I thought it would be interesting to compare everyones hard drive performances with screenshots from HD Tune utility (get from HD Tune). Maybe after some time we could produce a results table. So heres mine: Im going to show you the single WD Raptor X results first for interest: ...
Hardware & Devices
SSD show low performance
I bought a Samsung 840 EVO120Gb which is showing a very disappointing performance. My system is the following: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Asus P7P55 WS GSkill 12gb Intel i5 760 2.8Ghz 4x Nvidia Quadro NVS 290
Performance & Maintenance
HDDs Show in BIOS, But Do Not Show in Disk Management
Hello, A newbie here that just completed a first-time new Win7 PC build. Successful installation of Win7 Pro on WD 600GB 10000 system drive. Went back and installed 4 additional HDD. (2) WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM and (2) WD Caviar 7200 500GB HDD from XP system that were used for storage. ...
Hardware & Devices
Show us your Mechanical HDD performance...
Since the SSD boys and girls have a "Show us your SSD Performance" thread, I thought I'd start one for us mechanical HDD owners. Simply DL, install, and run HD Tune and post screenshots of results here in this thread. Please also tell us the Make and Model of your HDD(s) and any other specs you...
Hardware & Devices
show hidden folders show file extensions thru registry
I am trying to setup a default user or machine setup for how win7 handles folder view options. I want show hidden folders to be set to on for all users and the hide extensions for know file types to be unchecked or turned off ffor all users (so extensions show) I have located them in the registry...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App