Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Show us your SSD performance

16 Jun 2010   #541
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
I just did 2 new "clean all" installs and here are the differences.


These are IDE
Attachment 78920Attachment 78921


These are AHCI
Attachment 78922Attachment 78923



Show Us Your WEI ~ Post #211
Ted, Nice improvement in scores

Thank you for showing the benefits of using AHCI, some people don't think it's gives much of a performance increase, for some it may be due to other issues like a HDD that doesn't have the ability to use all the functions AHCI provides.

For a SSD, some manufacturers are recommending to use IDE, personally I would stay away from these, for the ones that use AHCI the benefits are there, as you've just shown.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Jun 2010   #542
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wakeboardr116 View Post
ok I went to device manager and clicked the drop down for IDE/ATA ATAPI controllers and it listed these

ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 1
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

I tried to manually update all of those but it said the best drivers were already installed.
Did you uninstall the old drivers first, then follow fseal's suggestion to "select "Update Drivers" and then point it to the folder with the downloaded drivers in it."?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2010   #543
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post

Ted, Nice improvement in scores

Thank you for showing the benefits of using AHCI, some people don't think it's gives much of a performance increase, for some it may be due to other issues like a HDD that doesn't have the ability to use all the functions AHCI provides.

For a SSD, some are recommending to use IDE, personally I would stay away from these, for the ones that use AHCI the benefits are there, as you've just shown.


Thanks Dave, it was worth the trouble to "see for myself"!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jun 2010   #544
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

BFK

You may be able to get even more performance by replacing the "msahci" drivers with the intel matrix storage drivers ("iastore") as seen here:

https://www.sevenforums.com/attachmen...7-38-18-pm.png
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2010   #545
bc3tech

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Looks nice

The random reads are the most important, and random writes.
These are what OS and programs use the most.

You can run AS SSD Benchmark and post the results here.
thanks. here's my AS SSD bench.

I'm happy w/ the results as the manufacturer rates this drive at 230/180 and I'm pretty close so can't really complain.


Attached Images
Show us your SSD performance-as_ssd.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2010   #546
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
BFK

You may be able to get even more performance by replacing the "msahci" drivers with the intel matrix storage drivers ("iastore") as seen here:

https://www.sevenforums.com/attachmen...7-38-18-pm.png


Thank you very much, I've been wondering about that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2010   #547
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Looks nice

The random reads are the most important, and random writes.
These are what OS and programs use the most.

You can run AS SSD Benchmark and post the results here.
thanks. here's my AS SSD bench.

I'm happy w/ the results as the manufacturer rates this drive at 230/180 and I'm pretty close so can't really complain.
Looks pretty good

Do you have the Nvidia controller?

Check post #1 in the AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista tutorial, if you do. The Intel driver might help improve that a little bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2010   #548
bc3tech

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Looks nice

The random reads are the most important, and random writes.
These are what OS and programs use the most.

You can run AS SSD Benchmark and post the results here.
thanks. here's my AS SSD bench.

I'm happy w/ the results as the manufacturer rates this drive at 230/180 and I'm pretty close so can't really complain.
Looks pretty good

Do you have the Nvidia controller?

Check post #1 in the AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista tutorial, if you do. The Intel driver might help improve that a little bit.
No i don't believe my board's an nVidia one. All signs point to that I am indeed running AHCI but I am still looking for a way to confirm it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2010   #549
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello bc3tech.



Have a look at the link below to get an excellent freeware app that will list just about anything about your system you need to know and it'll install to a USB stick.


SIW - System Information for Windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2010   #550
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
thanks. here's my AS SSD bench.

I'm happy w/ the results as the manufacturer rates this drive at 230/180 and I'm pretty close so can't really complain.
Looks pretty good

Do you have the Nvidia controller?

Check post #1 in the AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista tutorial, if you do. The Intel driver might help improve that a little bit.
No i don't believe my board's an nVidia one. All signs point to that I am indeed running AHCI but I am still looking for a way to confirm it.
Look on your AS SSD post, top left under 'Kingston AGYA 0201' is 'msahci' this is the Microsoft default AHCI driver. It will let Trim work, but most people are getting better performance with the new Intel driver
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Show us your SSD performance




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Show us your hard drive performance
I thought it would be interesting to compare everyones hard drive performances with screenshots from HD Tune utility (get from HD Tune). Maybe after some time we could produce a results table. So heres mine: Im going to show you the single WD Raptor X results first for interest: ...
Hardware & Devices
Show us your SSD performance 2
Continued from: https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/18229-show-us-your-ssd-performance.html Benchmark Program Links: AS SSD Benchmark OR AS SSD Benchmark Download - Softpedia
Hardware & Devices
SSD show low performance
I bought a Samsung 840 EVO120Gb which is showing a very disappointing performance. My system is the following: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Asus P7P55 WS GSkill 12gb Intel i5 760 2.8Ghz 4x Nvidia Quadro NVS 290
Performance & Maintenance
Show us your Mechanical HDD performance...
Since the SSD boys and girls have a "Show us your SSD Performance" thread, I thought I'd start one for us mechanical HDD owners. Simply DL, install, and run HD Tune and post screenshots of results here in this thread. Please also tell us the Make and Model of your HDD(s) and any other specs you...
Hardware & Devices
show hidden folders show file extensions thru registry
I am trying to setup a default user or machine setup for how win7 handles folder view options. I want show hidden folders to be set to on for all users and the hide extensions for know file types to be unchecked or turned off ffor all users (so extensions show) I have located them in the registry...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App