help looking for the right kind of ram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 597
    windows 7 Professional
       #1

    help looking for the right kind of ram


    right now im looking at a stick of my current ram, and all it says is 2gb 2Rx8 pc3-10600u-9-10-B0. im running 10 gigs now and am looking to upgrade to 16. i found several corsair models on new egg. if any one can find out if any of the corsair 16gb 4dimm sets on new egg would work for me that would be great. also if some one can edumicate me about replacing dimms and upgrading for future reference that would also be great.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 14,606
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
       #2

    try running a scan from crucial ,it will tell you what ram is available for your mobo.
    RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 597
    windows 7 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #3

    boohbah said:
    try running a scan from crucial ,it will tell you what ram is available for your mobo.
    RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com
    thank you, however, the last thing i want is factory. im pretymuch dead set on corsair or kingston. id prefer corsair. i would rather be told i need a new mother board. wich i do plan on upgrading eventualy. but not yet. just keep the answers coming.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 6,243
    win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
       #4

    Thornton said:
    right now im looking at a stick of my current ram, and all it says is 2gb 2Rx8 pc3-10600u-9-10-B0. im running 10 gigs now and am looking to upgrade to 16. i found several corsair models on new egg. if any one can find out if any of the corsair 16gb 4dimm sets on new egg would work for me that would be great. also if some one can edumicate me about replacing dimms and upgrading for future reference that would also be great.
    Hi Thornton ,You may want to have a look at this article Can you have too much RAM? Is 64bit just a marketing ploy?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 740
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
       #5

    You can of course check your motherboard QVL on their website (usually) unless its manufacturer information is written in chinese.

    Although they dont usually test modules larger than 2GB for cost reasons.

    How are you running 10GB?, CH0, 4GB 4GB + CH1, 1GB 1GB
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 14,606
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
       #6

    Thornton said:
    boohbah said:
    try running a scan from crucial ,it will tell you what ram is available for your mobo.
    RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com
    thank you, however, the last thing i want is factory. im pretymuch dead set on corsair or kingston. id prefer corsair. i would rather be told i need a new mother board. wich i do plan on upgrading eventualy. but not yet. just keep the answers coming.
    i figured it would do a scan and tell you what amount of ram your mobo can handle as well as other info. , what brand of ram you purchase is up to you.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 597
    windows 7 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Sub Styler said:
    You can of course check your motherboard QVL on their website (usually) unless its manufacturer information is written in chinese.

    Although they dont usually test modules larger than 2GB for cost reasons.

    How are you running 10GB?, CH0, 4GB 4GB + CH1, 1GB 1GB
    my mobo doesn't require parody. so i have a 4gb+2gb+2gb+2gb.

    i am wondering though, i just was searching "motherboard QVL" and i got "motherboard QVL list" it wasnt really a list as much as a bunch of people saying the kind of ram (1333/1600) so on shouldnt matter with newer mobos. that being sayd. i have an HPe300z mobo and would like to know if u might have better luck finding information on hp products than i tend to.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 597
    windows 7 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #8

    boohbah said:
    Thornton said:
    boohbah said:
    try running a scan from crucial ,it will tell you what ram is available for your mobo.
    RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com
    thank you, however, the last thing i want is factory. im pretymuch dead set on corsair or kingston. id prefer corsair. i would rather be told i need a new mother board. wich i do plan on upgrading eventualy. but not yet. just keep the answers coming.
    i figured it would do a scan and tell you what amount of ram your mobo can handle as well as other info. , what brand of ram you purchase is up to you.
    it just showed me a factory product image, no info unfortuantly

    correction, i found out how to scan my system differently, but it doesnt go above 8 gigs, i have 10, limmiting my options, and its not telling me wether the ram is 1333 or 1600 or niether, just like on my ram, they just dont say
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 597
    windows 7 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #9

    have some more info that might help and has led me to more questions


    so i have little information on the kindof ram my pc takes, but based on the resaults of a curcial test, they have sayed only that my computer takes pc3-10600, pc3-8500 and pc3-12800. finding this out i took a look around at ram and found these...

    Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

    my 2 questions is, with what little information i can provide, do you think it would work. and 2, they are both 16 gigs of ram, but wich one would you buy if you where looking at these 2 sets of dimms as your options?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2,606
    Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
       #10

    Is this your PC's motherboard?

    HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z Product Specifications and Configurable Options HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z CTO Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

    If so, it takes PC3-10800 (DDR3 1333) RAM, up to 16GB (4 X 4 GB).

    There may not be much point in buying faster RAM, unless there are BIOS settings that permit you to use the higher frequency. (It may run at 1333 by default.)

    Crucial's listing for the PC:

    Computer memory upgrades for HP - Compaq Pavilion Elite HPE-300z CTO Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

    I might prefer Corsair or one of the other makers instead, but if you want to play it safe, Crucial guarantees compatibility. I'm running Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 in my own system, but the motherboard is Asus. I don't know whether an HP mobo has a full range of settings available.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14.
Find Us