Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can these two brands of memory play nicely together?

30 Aug 2009   #11
Corpsecrank

Win7 64bit Ultimate
 
 

Yes what I meant is that you should try to keep the sticks as closely matched as possible if you want to mix so that you can eliminate as many problems as possible otherwise you could run into an issue and it may be do to a whole list of problems. If you match the specs you should be able to mix them without a problem.

But like I said if you can afford to buy matching kits your much better off. If you can't afford to replace all your ram with matching kits then be sure to match the specs of the new ram with the specs of the existing as closely as you can.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Aug 2009   #12
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corpsecrank View Post
Yes what I meant is that you should try to keep the sticks as closely matched as possible if you want to mix so that you can eliminate as many problems as possible otherwise you could run into an issue and it may be do to a whole list of problems. If you match the specs you should be able to mix them without a problem.

But like I said if you can afford to buy matching kits your much better off. If you can't afford to replace all your ram with matching kits then be sure to match the specs of the new ram with the specs of the existing as closely as you can.
Thanks for the reply.

The Corsair RAM is the only 2X2GB my OEM recommends for my computer when I search with my service tag. I'll check the site for another 2X2GB with 6-6-6-18, 1.8v, non-ECC and unbuffered.

Thanks,
Dave
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #13
Antman

 

I used the Kingston HyperX PC8500 that Asus "recommended" in the mobo manual. I was cheated. I have to seriously overclock the FSB to get the RAM to operate at 1066. This applies only in reference to your comments regarding what the mobo mfgr recommends. I have since learned that it is a marketing agreement between the two companies that results in such a recommendation.

Plus, it gives me an opportunity to say, Magandang bata ko. Notice, I bought her the roses and I still "need" more RAM.


Attached Images
Can these two brands of memory play nicely together?-p1160964-640-x-480-.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Aug 2009   #14
Corpsecrank

Win7 64bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
I used the Kingston HyperX PC8500 that Asus "recommended" in the mobo manual. I was cheated. I have to seriously overclock the FSB to get the RAM to operate at 1066. This applies only in reference to your comments regarding what the mobo mfgr recommends. I have since learned that it is a marketing agreement between the two companies that results in such a recommendation.

Plus, it gives me an opportunity to say, Magandang bata ko. Notice, I bought her the roses and I still "need" more RAM.
I have kingston hyperx in my system and even though the ram is rated as 1066 you have to manually clock it up in the bios.

Most boards that support 1066 as a maximum require the ram to be overclocked to that speed. It all comes down to the board though.

My next board will support 1666 ddr3 but because of the 1066 deal on this board I am buying ddr3 1800 and letting the board down clock it to 1666 rather than buying ram capable of 1666 and then clocking up.

I'm not exactly sure why you would need to clock ram capable of the boards maximum memory speed if the memory is already set to run that fast. It just seems dumb to me.

Aside from that the hyperx I have installed runs VERY hot probably because of the way it had to be configured. Seriously you can burn your fingers touching it. Also because of the ram becoming so hot you lose a lot of head room while trying to OC the processor. I would be afraid to OC this system right now because of the ram temperatures.

So if you do plan to buy some ram and you want to OC the system you should do what I do and buy faster ram that can be clocked down to the boards max speed and then OC the system without taxing the ram to death and running hot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #15
Antman

 

Yes. My next platform will involve underclocking the RAM. In my current rig, I use two RAM fans. I have one seriously loud machine. I keep it in a separate room from the monitor and HIDs - and can still here it.


Waiting not so patiently for USB3.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #16
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
I used the Kingston HyperX PC8500 that Asus "recommended" in the mobo manual. I was cheated. I have to seriously overclock the FSB to get the RAM to operate at 1066. This applies only in reference to your comments regarding what the mobo mfgr recommends. I have since learned that it is a marketing agreement between the two companies that results in such a recommendation.

Plus, it gives me an opportunity to say, Magandang bata ko. Notice, I bought her the roses and I still "need" more RAM.
Kuya,
Nice pic, magandang bata mo! Meron din akong tatlong anak.

Good point, I know that OEMs can be a little makulit! My board is rated at 1066 and my RAM at 800, hope I don't have that issue. Thus, this question.

I'm going to look for exact timings and voltages.

Thanks for your reply,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #17
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corpsecrank View Post
I have kingston hyperx in my system and even though the ram is rated as 1066 you have to manually clock it up in the bios.

Most boards that support 1066 as a maximum require the ram to be overclocked to that speed. It all comes down to the board though.

My next board will support 1666 ddr3 but because of the 1066 deal on this board I am buying ddr3 1800 and letting the board down clock it to 1666 rather than buying ram capable of 1666 and then clocking up.

I'm not exactly sure why you would need to clock ram capable of the boards maximum memory speed if the memory is already set to run that fast. It just seems dumb to me.

Aside from that the hyperx I have installed runs VERY hot probably because of the way it had to be configured. Seriously you can burn your fingers touching it. Also because of the ram becoming so hot you lose a lot of head room while trying to OC the processor. I would be afraid to OC this system right now because of the ram temperatures.

So if you do plan to buy some ram and you want to OC the system you should do what I do and buy faster ram that can be clocked down to the boards max speed and then OC the system without taxing the ram to death and running hot.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Yes. My next platform will involve underclocking the RAM. In my current rig, I use two RAM fans. I have one seriously loud machine. I keep it in a separate room from the monitor and HIDs - and can still here it.


Waiting not so patiently for USB3.
This is the reason I posed the question here. I want to know the possible ramifications (no pun intended) if was to proceed with this purchase.

Thanks for the feedback,
Regards,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #18
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
In my current rig, I use two RAM fans. I have one seriously loud machine. I keep it in a separate room from the monitor and HIDs - and can still here it.
Yeah, I cannot handle loud machines anymore. I had a Dell once which performed very well and was extremely quiet. Then, I built a machine using an Antec Sonata II case and that thing was very quiet. So, that was one of the things that I really was striving towards with my latest build. When i have my fans turned to Low (which is pretty much anytime I am not gaming), my PC is hardly any noisier than my laptop. The loudest thing in the box is the fan on my Nvidia 9800GTX+. So, I'm pretty pleased as I am running about a 13% overclock on stock cooling and my machine is whisper quiet. Love it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2009   #19
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

I found and ordered Crucial RAM that is DDR2 (PC2 6400) 2X2GB with 6-6-6-18, 1.8v, non-ECC and unbuffered. This matches my current RAM exactly. Now I can only hope that it will work. If it doesn't I'll order more of the Crucial.

Thanks to everybody for their input,

Dave

PS, dragging this information out of Crucial was like asking for their first born! Can't understand why they don't want to give out the timing specs, they only gave CL6. All the other companies give it out. In the end I had to get it from the Micron website, which was available to the public, just had to get the converted part number.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2009   #20
skunksmash

SEVEN x64
 
 

the config you describe in the OP will work, but the corsair sticks will default to CL6 & you'll only be running ''single channel''

the CL5 sticks should run CL6 without a problem, matching sticks are always preferred but not a necessity, vista & 7 prefer quantity rather than quality, so running single channel wont really affect performance that much.

ive mixed hundreds of named branded & white label sticks together with 0 issues.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can these two brands of memory play nicely together?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Using 2 monitors with 1 GPU. OK to use different 2 GPU brands for each
My video editing software renders much faster with compatible GPUs. I recently upgraded to a nVidia GTX 560 Ti which improved rendering 16%. I've like using two monitors but the second monitor drags down rendering performance of what it could be. I was wondering if using my old GIGABYTE Radeon HD...
Graphic Cards
Good SSD Brands to buy?
Im looking for an SSD, At least 60Gb, mainly just for the OS because i heard it speeds up your computer, Are there any recommended brands for SSD's that you guys would be willing to share? Thanks.
Hardware & Devices
Win 7 - Not sharing nicely with the other children
PC01 = Win 7. its Users\Public folder is shared for Everyone use PC05 = Win 7 ; it can the PC01 publc folder fine PC04 = XP , it cane "see' the name of sahre, but cant access it PCnn = All my other XP machine same issue. See screen shots. 1) What am I doing wrong? How do I ensure my XPs...
Network & Sharing
how do the brands stack up?
i suppose this is more of an opinion. i was just wondering how the different computer brands stack up to each other in terms of reliability. just take each of them as an all-in-one type of computer and see how they stack up ya know. right now im using an acer and ive had it for about 3 years...
General Discussion
window 7 and my warcraft can't function nicely
im using my compag laptop. just upgrade to window 7 . before this i use vista home premium. and my warcraft can't full screen when playing . there is two black side when gaming. i had try many way to solve this but failed. i also try fix this in ati catalyst control centre but can't found...
Gaming
Getting custom icons to display nicely ?
Hi, Something has haunted me ever since WinXP. If I change the default icon for a file type, or if I change the default program for a filetype, or even if I restore the default program for a file type after it was hijacked by a third application, the icon image is displayed "inside" a blank icon...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:38.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App