Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: THE Best Power Supply?

01 Sep 2009   #11
Antman

 

I don't recall where I found it, but I used a Power Calculator of some sort to determine my immediate and planned power needs. And then bought a touch more.

That was just before Vista went retail Just yesterday, I exceeded my PSU/system capability when I inserted an SD card.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Sep 2009   #12
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
Unfortuantely "watts" doesn't really work as a rating for PSUs.
Agreed. You will need to pay attention to the 80 PLUS rating that the PSU has to help determine the quality of it. The more power it has the more you have available as needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #13
Guy Scharf

Win 7-32, XP Pro-32
 
 

I've been pleased with my Seasonic SS-650HT 650W. It's quiet and just sits there and delivers power without complaint.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Sep 2009   #14
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
antec ftw!

i had a special combination deal on my case and power supply. i'm very happy with my antec 550 basiq plus.

550 watts is enough for me, i'm never going to have two graphics cards, and 550 means i can run a powerful one without worrying.

it may be 'basiq', but it's a perfect match for my case and has modular cables, is very quiet, and sits at the bottom of the case for bottom-heavy stability, as per design.
Doh!! I love those modular cables. Great idea. Any negatives to them?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #15
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
Doh!! I love those modular cables. Great idea. Any negatives to them?
When you need to add another one and not remembering where you stashed them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #16
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
I disagree.

Yes, the initial price is high, but you must also factor in your current and future needs. If you are absolutely certain that you will not need any more power in the future, then an over-powered PSU is wasteful.

However, if you upgrade and discover you need more power in the future, then you have the added cost of buying another PSU to meet those needs. This results in more expenditure in the long run.

No. Just because a power supply is rated at XXX watts does not mean it runs at XXX watts at all times. Your components will only draw what is needed.

The other bonuses of an over-powered PSU is less stress which results in better longevity. It will also run somewhat cooler and therefore have less noise ie Fan speed ramping.

Running a PSU near or at maximum capacity will also shorten it's life much quicker than running an over-powered PSU far from maximum capacity.
smarteyeball;

You are more than welcome to disagree, I certainly can not disprove your statements. However, the "Upgrade" to me is an issue that deserves its own thread, and I do not wish to derail this topic with that one. My experience has been that there was always new and better, and my old stuff was never good enough or compatible. Maybe there is a $500 power supply that will upgrade for 10 years? I don't think so. If you wish, we can start a new thread about upgrading over buying new?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #17
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
When you need to add another one and not remembering where you stashed them.
But that's a USER issue, not a power supply issue?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #18
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
But that's a USER issue, not a power supply issue?
Ditto the LMAO -

a power user, even.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #19
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
With regards to over buying on too powerful of a power supply....I agree with that. I certainly wouldn't cut back to the point where you barely meet your power draw...but I've also seen situations where people would have actually been just fine on a 400W PSU, but they are running a 1,000 or 1,200 PSU because it seems cool.
Just to be clear here, pparks1 and I are on the same wavelength here. I did not specify how much over an OVERPOWERED power supply would be. But this is what I had in mind. When choosing a power supply, it is a good idea to estimate max requirements and surpass them with your choice, say by a third, or a half? But would you double or triple the power requirement just so you could brag about the big powerful power supply under the hood?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #20
LFB

Windows7 Enterprise SP1 x64 (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Agreed. You will need to pay attention to the 80 PLUS rating that the PSU has to help determine the quality of it. The more power it has the more you have available as needed.
80 Plus program is the most trustful reference wen you buy a Power supply...

80 PLUS Certified Power Supplies and Manufacturers
http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_join.aspx
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 THE Best Power Supply?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Bought new Power Supply Unit, won't power on. Did I buy the wrong one?
I have a Corsair CX430M PSU with 4 slots to connect in the back. CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com & bought a new Antec BP550 Plus PSU, which has 5 slots to connect to. Antec BP550 Plus ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Power Supply
Hi My neighbor brought her laptop over its dead (HP Pavilion g series)I think maybe her charging brick is bad, can I try my charging brick (Asus G75) to see if its takes a charge. The numbers are different on the brick than hers will that make things worse ? HP---input 100-240V 1.7A ...
Hardware & Devices
Bad power supply?
So I had put my computer to sleep before work today. I came home and couldn't get it to "wake up." So I powered it down with the button on the front. However, now it will not turn back on. It worked fine yesterday, I played some D3 and surfed the web... Tonight after work nothing. So I laid it down...
Hardware & Devices
Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply
Ok, so it's time again for me to pick a new power supply, however, I'm in need of some help determining the appropriate wattage for my hardware setup. AMD Phenom II X4 955 45nm AM3 GSkill Ripjaw X 16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24) Corsair TX750w (I dont think its the V2) ASUS...
Hardware & Devices
Power Supply
Hello, I am interested in the Nvidia Geforce N470GTX Twin Frozr II. My current card is an Geforce 9600gt. I believe my system currently got a 400W power supply. Do I need to upgrade it? And if so do I need to check anything as in compatibility with my motherboard? Thank you.
Hardware & Devices
power supply?
i changed my video hard to ati 5850 hd 2 months ago since then i get a lot of bsod i format the pc 1 week ago and reinstalled all drivers.. keep having the same problem.. many bsod with diferent message every time. i took it to a workshop and they told me that all is ok,they check...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App