Hard drive free space inconsistency


  1. X7X
    Posts : 7
    Windows 7 x64
       #1

    Hard drive free space inconsistency


    Okay, just noticed this issue. I have a 400GB partition on a 500GB hard drive, but the free/used space just doesn't add up.
    If I look at the drive properties, this is what I get:
    Used: 135GB
    Free: 265GB


    But after making hidden and system files visible, the content in the root of the drive only adds up to 92.6GB


    I've analysed the drive, but all my partitions say 0% fragmentation, the second screenshot includes the recycle bin which is empty anyway, and chkdsk returned no errors. Disk Management shows the same 135GB used.

    Where's the other 40GB?

    Also, how do I delete the boot folder and bootmgr file? It's not my active partition and I thought I managed to delete it using cmd in the recovery disc, but it came back.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,036
    Windows 7 Professional x64
       #2

    I use this when I have this issue. It will show you whatever you are missing. It's cool. It will help you find out what is taking space on the drive. I hope this will help.

    WinDirStat - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

    I assume the space is being taken by the system restore feature. Check that out.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2,111
    Win7 Build 7600 x86
       #3

    Not to mention reserved space for MFT and recycle bin.

    I always set bins to 250mb, because I won't be unconscious when I throw away something bigger than that.

    greetz
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,111
    Win7 Build 7600 x86
       #4

    I see it has been 22hrs since the OP's post, but if the OS is still booting I would like to warn, that the bootmgr might well be the active bootmgr, even though it's not on the active drive.

    Deleting it could render your system unbootable.

    Greetz
      My Computer


  5. X7X
    Posts : 7
    Windows 7 x64
    Thread Starter
       #5

    nate42nd said:
    I use this when I have this issue. It will show you whatever you are missing. It's cool. It will help you find out what is taking space on the drive. I hope this will help.

    WinDirStat - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

    I assume the space is being taken by the system restore feature. Check that out.
    Thanks. It was being taken by some ultra secret folders in the Recycle Bin - Windows Explorer wouldn't show them for some reason - but that's what was taking up 40+GB. Deleted all the extras and the numbers add up.

    squonksc said:
    Not to mention reserved space for MFT and recycle bin.

    I always set bins to 250mb, because I won't be unconscious when I throw away something bigger than that.
    greetz
    XD I like having a big recycle bin - I have a tendency to delete things then change my mind.

    squonksc said:
    I see it has been 22hrs since the OP's post, but if the OS is still booting I would like to warn, that the bootmgr might well be the active bootmgr, even though it's not on the active drive.

    Deleting it could render your system unbootable.

    Greetz
    Yeah, sorry, I was expecting to get instant notifications by email, but it turns out I got the daily update email instead. Well anyway, in disk management (diskmgmt.msc) C: is marked as "System, boot, page file, active, primary partition", whereas D: is marked as "primary partition".
    Safe to delete the boot files from D: ?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2,111
    Win7 Build 7600 x86
       #6

    X7X said:
    Thanks. It was being taken by some ultra secret folders in the Recycle Bin - Windows Explorer wouldn't show them for some reason - but that's what was taking up 40+GB. Deleted all the extras and the numbers add up.


    XD I like having a big recycle bin - I have a tendency to delete things then change my mind.



    Yeah, sorry, I was expecting to get instant notifications by email, but it turns out I got the daily update email instead. Well anyway, in disk management (diskmgmt.msc) C: is marked as "System, boot, page file, active, primary partition", whereas D: is marked as "primary partition".
    Safe to delete the boot files from D: ?
    Check if there's a bootmgr on the C: drive. (unhide system and hidden files)

    If it's there, you can safely delete the one on the D: drive

    good luck
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:40.
Find Us