Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to read data from a faulty HDD

27 Dec 2012   #11
petko131

Windows 7 x86 Ultimate
 
 

I have checked my BIOS drivers in system informations, and it says my current driver is 1101 from 5/18/2009. So then i went to the Asus manufactures site and searched for P5N-D BIOS Drivers
I selected my OS and downloaded the "newest" version- 1401 as a .zip file. I extracted the archive and a 1401.BIN file came out.
I don't know how to install this now, and some help would be good


p.s. I've reduced the OC on my CPU in order to keep it safe




Attached Thumbnails
How to read data from a faulty HDD-bin..png  
Attached Images
How to read data from a faulty HDD-bios.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Dec 2012   #12
pjhutch

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

You need to create a DOS Boot disk (See Bootdisk.Com) and download and copy the Phoenix Award BIOS flash tool version 1.34 from the same ASUS site and the BIN file and run the exe tool with the bin file to update the BIOS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #13
petko131

Windows 7 x86 Ultimate
 
 

I updated my BIOS to the latest version (1401), and then again tried to boot with the faulty drive.
At first the mobo screen appeared reaaalllyyy fast! (3 times faster then usual), and there was no BEEEP from the mobo. Then i hit DEL to enter setup (it took 20 sec to enter bios - 5 times longer then usual). Bios sees the 160 bad drive and every thing appears normal. Then I hit ESC and selected Windows7 for my os (I have a dual boot-but when I choose the other system it wont boot with it -complicated).

Again the boot was stuck on the Windows loading screen, but i noticed the front panel LED light (HDD light) was blinking on every 2-3 seconds- that wasn't the case before.

After removing the bad drive windows booted up normal...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Dec 2012   #14
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Can you boot form win7 install DVD, win7 system repair disk? Or advanced boot options (where you see safe mode) and select repair my computer. So you see this


Select command prompt there:
Code:
diskpart
list  disk
Is bad disk listed? Is the number 0,1,2 or ....?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #15
petko131

Windows 7 x86 Ultimate
 
 

No i can't
Every time i try the boot gets stuck @ the windows loading screen-even if i boot from system disk (In BIOS i set the DVD drive for 1st boot device).

I also tried to run safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt. No use, every time it gets stuck on the driver loading screen (I left it for 20 min.).
Also tried out this tutorial but neither does option 1 or 2 work for me...
What should i do next?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #16
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by petko131 View Post
No i can't
Every time i try the boot gets stuck @ the windows loading screen-even if i boot from system disk (In BIOS i set the DVD drive for 1st boot device).

I also tried to run safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt. No use, every time it gets stuck on the driver loading screen (I left it for 20 min.).
Also tried out this tutorial but neither does option 1 or 2 work for me...
What should i do next?
Even boot from win7 install disk/win7 repair disk freeze at same point?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #17
petko131

Windows 7 x86 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by petko131 View Post
No i can't
Every time i try the boot gets stuck @ the windows loading screen-even if i boot from system disk (In BIOS i set the DVD drive for 1st boot device).

I also tried to run safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt. No use, every time it gets stuck on the driver loading screen (I left it for 20 min.).
Also tried out this tutorial but neither does option 1 or 2 work for me...
What should i do next?
Even boot from win7 install disk/win7 repair disk freeze at same point?
Yes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #18
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by petko131 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by petko131 View Post
No i can't
Every time i try the boot gets stuck @ the windows loading screen-even if i boot from system disk (In BIOS i set the DVD drive for 1st boot device).

I also tried to run safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt. No use, every time it gets stuck on the driver loading screen (I left it for 20 min.).
Also tried out this tutorial but neither does option 1 or 2 work for me...
What should i do next?
Even boot from win7 install disk/win7 repair disk freeze at same point?
Yes
Win7 and windows boot disks check for disks and partitions on startup. But if my memory is fine... you tried to install winxp on that bad harddisk... correct? That winxp install CD booted fine?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #19
pscowboy

W7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

I'm late to this party, but I'd like to ask a stupid question.

Why can't you put the suspect hd into an external enclosure - then plug it in after you reach the desktop? Don't try to boot with both connected.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #20
petko131

Windows 7 x86 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by petko131 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Even boot from win7 install disk/win7 repair disk freeze at same point?
Yes
Win7 and windows boot disks check for disks and partitions on startup. But if my memory is fine... you tried to install winxp on that bad harddisk... correct? That winxp install CD booted fine?
correct! I did try to install XP on the bad drive, but it failed to install @ 2/3 of the setup. After that fail i put the HDD to side, and yesterday, after 2 months i tried again to do the same(in both cases the bad drive was only connected). This time, the setup failed @1/3 of installation process, and there was no BSOD or any message saying why the setup failed, just a restart and it didn't continue installing.
I was thinking about Ubuntu Linux. maybe to install it to he bad drive, pick up data to a Flash memory and try to format it... What do you say for that idea? Would it work?
p.s. I would have to download a pirate version of linux, because i don't know anyone who has it, and i can't buy it anywhere...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to read data from a faulty HDD




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD 116 faulty graphics card or faulty drivers?
I believe the initial crash was caused by overheating. Based on the fact that I have gotten it to work for a short amount of time, more on that later. Booting up with the drivers for my graphics card enabled causes BSOD to appear but when it is disabled everything is fine. I can boot into safe...
BSOD Help and Support
How to read raw data from CD-ROM?
Using CD / DVD ROM, I would like to read the raw data. I do know that the physical data are coded into (possibly) non-zero-return code, and then using Reed-Solomen Interleaved code, and had some synchronization data in between the data bits. While I do not expect that I would be able, using...
Hardware & Devices
Quickbooks backing up data as read only
This problem is new with the same software. QB is now writing the data file as read only to the CD drive using QB internal backup. You cannot uncheck the 'properties' flag without getting an OS notice that Admin privileges are required. Loading explorer with right click admin results in the same...
General Discussion
A Disk Read Error Occurred (pretty sure it's not a faulty hard-drive)
Hello Everyone: Thank you for taking time to read my post. Here is my issue in as concise of terms as possible: 1. Computer is a Sony Vaio VGC-RC110G (not sure about motherboard) 2. About 3 weeks ago computer starts refusing to boot giving errors that make me think the hard drive is bad. ...
Hardware & Devices
dvd drive can't read dvd movie, but can read data dvd or dvd games
hai everyone i've got some problem with my dvd drive, CDDVDW TS-T633P from HP touchsmart 600 1137D my dvd can't read or play dvd movie, i reinstall it few times but it can;t solve the problem ...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App