Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need help buying RAM

20 Feb 2013   #21
mangoh

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Okay thanks for your help so far everyone!

So I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 and according to Crucial I need this

So after looking for RAM I found this:

Crucial 2GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

If I buy 2 so I get 2x2GB as I have 2 slots.

Do you think the RAM will work i.e. ignoring the fact that Crucial says maximum RAM is 2GB. I'm asking do you think the spec from Amazon is fine for the laptop I have?

Edit: I searched the reviews and someone else has said it works fine http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/community...sin=B000F7QRTG

WOOOOOOOO so much thanks for your help. I got there in the end and I now believe I can find RAM myself.

Didn't know "DDR2 PC2-5300" actually means two things, the type and speed.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Feb 2013   #22
mangoh

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

So I bought the RAM, it arrived, I put in my laptop.

What now?

Last time I inserted new RAM into my computer the BIOS screen said it recognised the RAM and then it booted up.

However this time when I put the RAM into my laptop, it didn't saying anything in the BIOS and straight away booted up.

Both the computer and laptop say display the new RAM figure in system properties.

When installing RAM, how do I know if the laptop/computer is using it?

Is there anything else I need to do after installing RAM to optimise performance for my newly installed RAM?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2013   #23
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mangoh View Post
So I bought the RAM, it arrived, I put in my laptop.

What now?

Last time I inserted new RAM into my computer the BIOS screen said it recognised the RAM and then it booted up.

However this time when I put the RAM into my laptop, it didn't saying anything in the BIOS and straight away booted up.

Both the computer and laptop say display the new RAM figure in system properties.

When installing RAM, how do I know if the laptop/computer is using it?

Is there anything else I need to do after installing RAM to optimise performance for my newly installed RAM?
That's a BIOS option that may not be there or set...to prompt when memory amounts change. If the BIOS and the system recognize the new memory and the correct amount, then I'm not sure what you are worried about. Unless you are getting errors, freezes, etc, then you should be fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Feb 2013   #24
webpro2k02

Win 8 Pro 64bit
 
 

It is strange to note that most online memory retailers lists max memory for Inspiron 1501 as 2GB, max per slot as 1GB...

Inspiron 1501 Memory - Upgrade Dell 1501 Inspiron Laptop Memory

Computer memory upgrades for Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com

But what I have noted is the processor is the AMD Turion 64 or Sempron, as per AMD specs it should support 2GB SODIMMs.


I have also seen in forums that people have tried 2 x 2GB module and it has worked.

IF you have installed 2 x 2GB, then do a quick check using CPUZ software, and in the SPD tab it should list memory installed in Slot 1 and Slot 2.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #25
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Welcome to Seven forums webpro2k02.
While a CPU may support specific RAM module sizes, the motherboard chipset also has to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #26
mangoh

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mangoh View Post
So I bought the RAM, it arrived, I put in my laptop.

What now?

Last time I inserted new RAM into my computer the BIOS screen said it recognised the RAM and then it booted up.

However this time when I put the RAM into my laptop, it didn't saying anything in the BIOS and straight away booted up.

Both the computer and laptop say display the new RAM figure in system properties.

When installing RAM, how do I know if the laptop/computer is using it?

Is there anything else I need to do after installing RAM to optimise performance for my newly installed RAM?
That's a BIOS option that may not be there or set...to prompt when memory amounts change. If the BIOS and the system recognize the new memory and the correct amount, then I'm not sure what you are worried about. Unless you are getting errors, freezes, etc, then you should be fine.
Nope no freezes but just curious why no message on the BIOS. Thanks for telling me about the BIOS setting.

So if it says the new figure of RAM in system properties, is the RAM all sorted then i.e. nothing else needs doing?

Correct?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #27
indianacarnie

Windows 10x64 Build 1709
 
 

Correct.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #28
mangoh

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by indianacarnie View Post
Correct.
Thanks

Problem solved.

RAM installed fine, 4GB shows. I feel the difference already but just wanted it confirmed that I wasn't just being jolly for no reason.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #29
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

have you re run the windows experience index to see if your score has improved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #30
mangoh

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
have you re run the windows experience index to see if your score has improved.
Yep and indeed it has

RAM went from 5.1 to 5.5

5.1 = I had 2GB of RAM
5.5 = Newly installed 4GB of RAM

I take it the lack of a massive increase was due to it being DDR2 RAM and not DDR3, obviously the latter my Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop doesn't support.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need help buying RAM




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Need help buying a new GTX 970!!!
Hi all how are you? hope everyone is good... i just sold my old ASUS Geforce GTX 760 DirectCU-II 2GB yesterday for $240 now don't be surprised as here new GPU's are quiet expensive on retail shelves coz taxes and duty applies when goodies arrived here. Anyways lets hop on to the real question... ...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Help with buying ram.
I am planning to buy 4gb additional ram. My motherboard is Gigabyte M68MT-S2. Does following rams are compatible with this motherboard. 1.Transcend DDR3-1333 DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (JM1333KLN-4G)Transcend DDR3-1333 DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (JM1333KLN-4G): Flipkart.com 2.Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 4 GB PC RAM...
Hardware & Devices
I need help on buying RAM.
Hello, i am planning to upgrade my RAM as follows: I currently have 2gb ram, a ddr2 stick. I want a 4gb one but using a dual channel. The problem is i don't know if my motherboard supports DDR3 memory, i hear DDR3 is less power hungry and more efficient. Is there a way to find if its...
Hardware & Devices
Buying new SSD
I have a Toshiba L505 64bit with windows 7 and 8gb of Ram . I was thinking of getting an SSD , maybe a samsung 830 .(256gb) I have approximately 84% free space . I do not store videos or photos , just run my web site and make daily changes . Any thoughts would be appreciated !!
Hardware & Devices
Need help in buying new pc...
My friend wants to buy a new pc..but he is tight on budget..i have suggested the following config is it good... Mo bo-Gigabyte GA -880 g-ud 3h... processor-Amd Athlon II x 4 645... monitor-dell d1920.. 2g ddr3 ram... 450w psu... no graphics card..
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:57.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App