Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: CPU Speed.

14 Oct 2009   #1
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 
CPU Speed.

So ok... Here's the deal.

I just installed CPU-Z in order to check my memory timings (since I just updated BIOS, just wanted to make sure everything was ok), so in the process I stumble upon my CPU speed, and it reads ~1358 MHz!.

What is going on?

Screen:



(specs under 'My System Specs')


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Oct 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cheeriokilla View Post
So ok... Here's the deal.

I just installed CPU-Z in order to check my memory timings (since I just updated BIOS, just wanted to make sure everything was ok), so in the process I stumble upon my CPU speed, and it reads ~1358 MHz!.

What is going on?

Screen:



(specs under 'My System Specs')

the multiplier changes under load
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #3
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cheeriokilla View Post
So ok... Here's the deal.

I just installed CPU-Z in order to check my memory timings (since I just updated BIOS, just wanted to make sure everything was ok), so in the process I stumble upon my CPU speed, and it reads ~1358 MHz!.

What is going on?

Screen:



(specs under 'My System Specs')

the multiplier changes under load
So are you saying that I'm getting the whole 2.7 GHz of my processors speed under load?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Oct 2009   #4
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Yes... The idea is there is no reason to run the cpu at full power when there is no need.. the lower the load, the lower the power consumption.. this also saves cpu life...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #5
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Hmmm... Interesting.

So what's behind this CPU underclock when not under load? Windows 7? The Processor itself?...

Because I clearly remember that my CPU read 2.7 GHz (using CPU-Z) under Vista 24/7, but this was also under a different BIOS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cheeriokilla View Post
Hmmm... Interesting.

So what's behind this CPU under clock when not under load? Windows 7? The Processor itself?...

Because I clearly remember that my CPU read 2.7 GHz (using CPU-Z) under Vista 24/7, but this was also under a different BIOS.
C

there you go. different bios may read it differently, different OS as well

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #7
adamdz

Windows 7
 
 

This is usually controlled via bios or some mobo manufacturer software. I think its called Speedstep or EIST. Stress your cpu with some program and see if it bumps it up to the correct speed. If so then what the other poster said is the case. You can usually turn it off in bios if you choose to. Its not a problem to have on, but is sometimes recommended to turn it off if you overclock your cpu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #8
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Thanks for all the help guys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #9
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

when you flashed the bios to a new version, it probably started at "optimal settings," which in your case, seems to include as a default setting a cpu throttling feature to lower frequencies during non-load (as the others have stated prior to my post). depending on the bios, whenever you flash, you will have to go back into the bios and reset all of your specific settings back to what they were set at before the bios flash. (my bios, for instance, gives me the option when flashing to erase everything or only update specific items while leaving my changed settings intact).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #10
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
when you flashed the bios to a new version, it probably started at "optimal settings," which in your case, seems to include as a default setting a cpu throttling feature to lower frequencies during non-load (as the others have stated prior to my post). depending on the bios, whenever you flash, you will have to go back into the bios and reset all of your specific settings back to what they were set at before the bios flash. (my bios, for instance, gives me the option when flashing to erase everything or only update specific items while leaving my changed settings intact).
Hmmm...

The thing is, I'm a big chicken when it comes to BIOS, I only change basic stuff like... Memory timings, Boot order, etc...

I would never mess up with something like 'CPU throttle'.

I'm even scared of disabling AMD's 'Cool n Quiet' feature lolz.

It has to be something new that ASUS wanted to incorporate into their new BIOSes.

EDIT: Thanks BTW.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CPU Speed.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Download Speed Fine, Upload Speed Non-existent?
All of a sudden while browsing, I get insanely slow loading times, with multiple timeouts. I go on speedtest and this is my speed. I get random latency spikes during video games. I could barely upload the picture of my speedtest results, and I'll be surprised if this thread even makes it. What is ...
Network & Sharing
How do I change CD-ROM speed? (Transfer speed is extremely slow)
Hello guys! So I bought this kick-ass laptop from MSI. It is pretty good. These are the specs (in case they aid in finding a solution to my problem): Name: MSI WorkStation Series GT60 2OKWS-674US OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit CPU: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-4800MQ
Hardware & Devices
Speed test gives vey good speed but down speed is just 2-3 kb
guys please help me , it happens when ever i want. i speed test from speedtest.net and i get speed 0.89 mbps ( which is good for me) but if i download something , down speed is 2 kb. if i play a video it buffes so slowly that it takes ahour. 1 thing more, this happened few days ago on my...
Network & Sharing
fast download speed but browseing speed slow.
hallo i have a problem last 1 week.my downloas speed well..but browseing speed slow.i playing online games.watch movie. its soo low its too pain full.i cant under stand why?..i am from srilanka.internet line ADSL.. prolink router..512KB/s line..plz help me.
Network & Sharing
Computer Bottleneck- HDD - SSD. giving data speed to proccessing speed
Through the windows experience im at 7.8's / 7.4's... with my hdd at 5.9. looking at getting a ssd to level everything up.... but what i dont know is... how does the read/write speeds translate into processing. what read speed is equal to the rest of my rig? I just dont know how it translates...
Hardware & Devices
Download speed is limited, but upload speed is fine
Hi everyone, At first I noticed a slow down with my ISP (Verizon FIOS) from 15mb/s to 6-7mb/s, but the upload speed is unaffected. So, I called my ISP they told me could be an issue with the Windows that I am using. Then I called MS regarding the network issue,...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App