Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Laptop screen remains black when I turn it on (worse after a fix)

18 Jul 2013   #1
jay0514

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Laptop screen remains black when I turn it on (worse after a fix)

So previously my laptop would go black just after the Windows 7 Welcome screen, the mouse pointer turning in that wheel
(I could access the main windows background only through safe mode)
I found a popular method that seemed to have worked for a lot of people.
I removed the battery, held the power button down for 2 minutes, put the battery back in, plug in power cord) but now the screen goes black straight away, doesn't even get to the welcome screen.

Any ideas?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Jul 2013   #2
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Hi and welcome to the Forum
Depending on what you were doing before this first happened it loos as if you might have a RAM problem. I would suggest running Memtest to see what that finds. Here's a link to how to use Memtest by making a bootable CD:
Memtest86 - Download now!
You need to run memtest for a long time, at least overnight! memtest will continue to run until you stop it. Run it until it finds an error. Then you need to remove one of your Memory modules so by a process of elimination you eventually find the fauty one.
If after running overnight, say up to 10 hours if Memtest has found no errors then you can assume that our RAM is OK.
After that I would run Windows Offline Defender in the same way, ie create a bootable CD from here:
Microsoft
Report back here with your findings.
When you can get into your machine it would be helpful if you fill in your System Spec details see here:
System Info - See Your System Specs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2013   #3
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

There are 2 parts to the W7 startup. The first part "Starting Windows" is in a black screen with the coalescing squares, the second part "Welcome" is in a blue screen.

In general, the Starting Windows part deals with hardware - starting the devices in the PC and initializing their drivers. The Welcome part deals with Windows OS loading and configuration settings. So it is important for us to know where in the Startup the problem occurs. (I say "in general" because there is some overlap.)

If Windows can complete it's startup in Safe Mode then this is a very good indication that the problem is with a device driver or configuration setting.
So there next question needs to be: have you made any recent changes to your system?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Jul 2013   #4
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jay0514 View Post
So previously my laptop would go black just after the Windows 7 Welcome screen, the mouse pointer turning in that wheel
(I could access the main windows background only through safe mode)
I found a popular method that seemed to have worked for a lot of people.
I removed the battery, held the power button down for 2 minutes, put the battery back in, plug in power cord) but now the screen goes black straight away, doesn't even get to the welcome screen.

Any ideas?
Hi jay0514.

Welcome to the community.

Please let us know if you are able to access BIOS on the system now? Does it goes black after the system manufacturer logo and before windows logo appear?

If you have a external monitor then kindly connect it to a external monitor to check if it is no video issue on the laptop.

Keeps us posted with your findings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2013   #5
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
If Windows can complete it's startup in Safe Mode then this is a very good indication that the problem is with a device driver or configuration setting.
I, perhaps wrongly, assumed from the original post that the machine would show the "main Windows background" but go no further. I assumed that the OP would have made it clear if he could boot up in safe mode. But then the post is a bit sparse on detail!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2013   #6
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Yes, it's like solving a puzzle sometimes!
It doesn't mean that testing the memory should not be done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2013   #7
jay0514

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Wow guys I'm so sorry for not updating this for a while.
been pretty busy.
There were few comments about little detail
So as soon as a turn it on, and the hardware starts to run, the screen remains black. no logo nothing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2013   #8
jay0514

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SandeepP View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jay0514 View Post
So previously my laptop would go black just after the Windows 7 Welcome screen, the mouse pointer turning in that wheel
(I could access the main windows background only through safe mode)
I found a popular method that seemed to have worked for a lot of people.
I removed the battery, held the power button down for 2 minutes, put the battery back in, plug in power cord) but now the screen goes black straight away, doesn't even get to the welcome screen.

Any ideas?
Hi jay0514.

Welcome to the community.

Please let us know if you are able to access BIOS on the system now? Does it goes black after the system manufacturer logo and before windows logo appear?

If you have a external monitor then kindly connect it to a external monitor to check if it is no video issue on the laptop.

Keeps us posted with your findings.


Oh i think this a good news...
When i connect my laptop to a monitor it i can boot into safe mode,, trying normal now, but the screen has large blue stripes running down.
UPDATE: cant start windows normally, when booting normally, I only reach as far as the windows logo in the centre in the black background, after that it remains black.
so I can only boot in safe mode
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2013   #9
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Hi jay0514,

Thanks for your reply. As you are not getting any video on the LCD it seems either the LDVS cable is not properly connected to LCD requires replacement.

You need to reseat the LCD cable to ensure it is properly inserted. Kindly update your system specs here by following this.

Also, regarding system is unable to boot you can follow the steps outlined in the link below:

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Laptop screen remains black when I turn it on (worse after a fix)




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Turn Off Monitor, Turn On Later and Black Screen, PC Still Running
Hello Folks, I'm not sure if my issue is with hardware (possibly MB?) or graphics card, so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section. The first problem I was having was random blue screens of death that displayed graphic card driver issues. I was able to remedy that by updating my...
Hardware & Devices
Laptop performing noticeably worse on own screen vs monitor
So I've seen this thing lately with my Acer laptop. There's difference between plugging in another monitor or using the laptop screen. Every game I play (mostly CS GO, Dota 2) also runs much more smoothly if I use an external monitor; we're talking about 30-50fps on laptop screen compared to 60-90...
Gaming
when i turn on my pc the screen turns black.
the screen would be black and all I can see is the mouse arrow on screen.at first i thought it was normal but today it took to long so i did some research in my ipod and some solutions that didn't work like ,reinstalling my drive i also tryed safe mode and it work just fine but i don't know what...
Hardware & Devices
Laptop Display Remains Off When Returning From "Turn Off" State
Good Afternoon, I'd appreciate any help that I could receive for this issue. I'd like to preface this post by mentioning that I have searched these and other forums about this issue and have found people that have had similar problems, but I don't think they are explaining things properly/as...
Hardware & Devices
PC boots then turn to black screen/no signal
I can boot fine in safe mode, then I tried disabling the display adapter and rebooted. This worked fine, turned it back on rebooted and it boots to black screen, then eventually says no signal and automatically reboots. I'm guessing it's a driver issue? I did download the new nVidia driver for...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App