Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Questions for Samsung Magician users

17 Mar 2014   #11
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

I keep a clean start up and wanted to keep it that way. Good to have the confirmation on that.

Also keep periodic images, so I don't think I'll bother with another so soon to do firmware.

The other two I will play with. They have been disabled since new.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Mar 2014   #12
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Rapid Mode: Do you enable this? Why? Yes and no. I tried to enable RAPID when it became available on the 840 Pro in my desktop machine but I couldn't see any difference in real life performance or in benches. I've since learned that I would have to update the firmware first and, being the coward I am, I would rather not do that. I've also seen posts in various forums reporting occasional problems with RAPID on the older 840 Pros like mine. The 840 EVO I put in my notebook, on the other hand, responded reasonably well to RAPID. Performance improved noticeably; the benches were much higher.
Can't speak to the EVO, as I have a PRO. And my PRO did come with what was the most recent firmware at the time. And I also have recently updated firmware to the very latest DXM06B0Q.

And as I mentioned previously, I have 8GB memory in my Lenovo W530 laptop (i7-3740QM @2.70GHz), which is only about 34% used. So I have lots of extra unused RAM (PC3-12800 800MHz) to re-purpose for SSD use with rapid mode.

But according to the Magician performance benchmark test there is absolutely no doubt that there is VERY SIGNIFICANT performance improvement related to "rapid mode".

(1) here's performance with "rapid mode" DISABLED:



(2) and here's performance with "rapid mode" ENABLED:

My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2014   #13
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

That is impressive.
I have 16GB RAM. Wonder if I can spare some?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Mar 2014   #14
Ranger4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
I just upgraded Magician to v4.3.
It's the first time I've looked at the program in many months. I made some choices when I first installed the SSD, but I'm wondering about some of these now.

Program: Do you allow Magician to run at startup? Reasons?

Over Provisioning: Do you enable this? Why?

Rapid Mode: Do you enable this? Why?

Firmware Update: Do you bother doing a full backup before updating the firmware?

Thanks for any instruction or opinions.
Samsung 256Gb 840 Pro SSD
Answers to questions.
1. No, I keep start up limited to AV & Samsung Rapid Mode only.
2. Yes, recommended by Samsung
3. Yes, definitely improves speed
4. No, firmware update ran smoothly, but I do have a regular image backup

Questions for Samsung Magician users-samsung_ssd.png
Screen shot of speed with Rapid Mode on. 16Gb of RAM & running in Samsung's Reliability Mode


My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2014   #15
Torah Lishmah

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Being a confirmed coward, I've never updated the firmware of my SSDs but, if I were to, I most definitely would do a full backup first. I do make a full image of my boot drive (or partitions, in the case of my notebook's SSD) once a week and anytime I make a major change, such as install a new program. You would be very wise to make a full image before attempting to update the firmware.
Coward? Naaaah....just being smart! If it ain't broke, don't fix it I always say. As far as backup images go, I clone my OS drive every ten days or so whether it needs it or not. With Acronis True Image it only takes about 12 minutes to clone a 500GB SATA Barracuda @7200 Rpm's. Time wisely spent indeed. There is no such thing as being "overly cautious" when it comes to backing up data. But you already know that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2014   #16
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Oh yeah, Rapid Mode make a big difference in all read/write benchmarks. I still se no difference in day-to-day usage though. I do a few graphics renders and a bit of video coding and it's no faster.

It doesn't seem to use much RAM like a RAM disk would either. Mine uses less than 1MB of RAM, the SamsungRapidApp is a notification service, while the SamsungRapidSvc is the rapid mode.
Running Magician uses a lot more RAM.

Questions for Samsung Magician users-capture.png

Questions for Samsung Magician users-rapid-help.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2014   #17
Torah Lishmah

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
Thanks for any instruction or opinions.
This comment is off topic, so please forgive me. TVeblen, I love the fact that you have been on this forum going on five years now, have about 5,000 posts, have earned "Guru" status, and yet you are still man enough to ask for advice, rather than cling to a "know it all" persona. Outstanding!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2014   #18
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Aw shucks.
75% of what I know about PC's I learned from others in newsgroups and forums just like this one, the other 25% I learned by screwing up and needing to find a fix fast.
90% of what I know about Windows 7 I learned from this forum, the other 10% I learned by screwing around and experimenting. This also often involved screwing something up and needing to find a fix fast.

The great thing about this forum is that there are so many folks that each have a very unique set of skills and experience. Collectively it forms a fantastic body of knowledge. I would be a fool not to dip into that pool!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2014   #19
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Torah Lishmah View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
Thanks for any instruction or opinions.
This comment is off topic, so please forgive me. TVeblen, I love the fact that you have been on this forum going on five years now, have about 5,000 posts, have earned "Guru" status, and yet you are still man enough to ask for advice, rather than cling to a "know it all" persona. Outstanding!
None of us here know all the answers. I've asked many questions myself, as Rob says there is a deep pool of knowledge here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2014   #20
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

My 2 cents. There is no reason to have magician running at start up unless you have Rapid enabled. I am under the impression, and may be wrong, that with rapid mode activated magician needs to run at start up.

I have enabled Rapid mode, and like Gary said, it gives fantastic benchmarks but I saw no difference in day to day usage. Therefore, I disabled it and stopped magician from running at start up. I have too many thins that I do need to run as it is, and I call myself being very judicious about that.

Yes, I use overprovisioning. I have no shortage of space and feel that it could help longevity and perhaps the performance to be maintained. If I was running short of space, I would not enable it. Personally, I don't believe it is absolutely necessary, just one of those things you can do that may help a little but is not necessary. All SSDs that I know of, come with some over provisioning built into them in order to replace used or damaged nand cells and help maintain wear leveling. I feel sure there is enough built in to do what is necessary. But, if I can give up the space without causing myself any problem, why not. It may help but certainly won't hurt. But absolutely necessary, I doubt it seriously.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Questions for Samsung Magician users




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Let Samsung Magician optimize SSD?
I installed Samsung Magician to see if my SSD firmware was up to date. It is. It's telling me that my OS is currently optimized for use with a HDD.
Performance & Maintenance
Samsung Magician 4.9 Released
Samsung Magician 4.9 Released Samsung download links: Samsung 4.9 software Installation Guide Alternate MajorGeeks link:
Software
Samsung Magician driver
I have ordered a Samsung 840 EVO SSD and will be installing it in a few days. While looking at the manuals on Samsung's support page, I was reading the procedures for using the Magician software. After the system requirements, which my system is well over the minimums, there is a section on Driver...
Drivers
New version of Samsung Magician software.
There is a new version of Samsung Magician software, version 4.3, which I discovered when I ran the program today. The new version has provision to enable "Rapid Mode" on Samsung 840 Pro series SSD's which I think was only previously available on the EVO series. This may be of interest to...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App