Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: PC shutdown itself, help

22 Nov 2014   #1
Nenad2

Macedonia
 
 
PC shutdown itself, help

My pc shutdown itself some times because this goes so far i finaly want to ask for help, sometimes when pc shutdown i check eventviewer at system logs and i found some errors critical, kernel power, pc shutdown was unexpectedly etc. i dont know what this exactly mean but i need help, maybe because in device manager i have unknown device under usb ports this shows everytime even reinstalling pc cant fix can this cause the problem
And today shutdown after 5 seconds when i turn on pc
Any help would be nice thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Nov 2014   #2
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Hello IFantastic. Welcome to the forum

When you say the PC shutdown I assume that it means the PC just blinks off?
I assume this is not the normal Windows shutdown process. Or than the PC restarts.

When it powers off, do all the parts stop working at once: fans, hard drives, etc?
When it powers off, is the small green LED on the motherboard (indicates low power state) still lit up?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2014   #3
Nenad2

Macedonia
 
 

all stop working and i cant find the led on motherboard with green light i have never seen that led on
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Nov 2014   #4
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

How old is this motherboard? I can't remember back to when they did not have the LED.

Probably best to post your system specs. You do that in your forum profile. Fill everything in the best you can.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2014   #5
Digerati

Windows 7 Profession 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nenad2
pc shutdown was unexpectedly
i dont know what this exactly mean
Neither does Windows. If you check the timestamp of that error message, you will likely see it was made when you rebooted, not when it shut down. It just means Windows detected it was not shutdown properly.

It is common for no errors when a computer suddenly shuts down because the shutdown occurs so quickly, Windows has no advance notice to write any errors.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen
I can't remember back to when they did not have the LED.
Most don't! There is no, and never has been any standard requirement for motherboard LEDs. And the fact is, the vast majority of motherboards today don't have any LED status indicators. That is an extra, optional feature as they serve no purpose for most users who can't see them anyway inside a closed case.

And for those motherboards that do, there is no standard color, no standard for the number of LEDs, and no standard for what a lit, or unlit LED means. The most basic simply indicates the PSU is delivering the ATX required +5Vsb voltage as a reminder to unplug from the wall before removing or inserting RAM. More advanced (read: expensive) motherboards may have several LED indicators that show boot progression status. But even many high-end boards don't have any LED indicator lights.

So again, most motherboards sold (today, or ever) have LED indicator lights. You would have to look at the specific motherboard's specs to see if this board does, or not, and what it means if lit.

@Nenad2 - If me, the first thing I would do is swap in a known good power supply. Everything in your computer depends on good, clean stable power. Then I would test the RAM, either by pulling all but one stick and running with that for awhile to see what happens, and swapping in sticks to hopefully find one that is bad, or by running MemTest86 for several passes. You should have "no" errors. Windows 7 and Windows 8 users can use the built in Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2014   #6
Nenad2

Macedonia
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
How old is this motherboard? I can't remember back to when they did not have the LED.

Probably best to post your system specs. You do that in your forum profile. Fill everything in the best you can.
Sorry for late reply, well i dont know this pc is brought 3-4 years ago motherboard is gigabyte ga-m52l-s3

sometime working fine well till i started thread didnt shutdown now its fine but sometimes in random moments shutdown it`s happening so rarely
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2014   #7
Nenad2

Macedonia
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Itaregid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nenad2
pc shutdown was unexpectedly
i dont know what this exactly mean
Neither does Windows. If you check the timestamp of that error message, you will likely see it was made when you rebooted, not when it shut down. It just means Windows detected it was not shutdown properly.

It is common for no errors when a computer suddenly shuts down because the shutdown occurs so quickly, Windows has no advance notice to write any errors.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen
I can't remember back to when they did not have the LED.
Most don't! There is no, and never has been any standard requirement for motherboard LEDs. And the fact is, the vast majority of motherboards today don't have any LED status indicators. That is an extra, optional feature as they serve no purpose for most users who can't see them anyway inside a closed case.

And for those motherboards that do, there is no standard color, no standard for the number of LEDs, and no standard for what a lit, or unlit LED means. The most basic simply indicates the PSU is delivering the ATX required +5Vsb voltage as a reminder to unplug from the wall before removing or inserting RAM. More advanced (read: expensive) motherboards may have several LED indicators that show boot progression status. But even many high-end boards don't have any LED indicator lights.

So again, most motherboards sold (today, or ever) have LED indicator lights. You would have to look at the specific motherboard's specs to see if this board does, or not, and what it means if lit.

@Nenad2 - If me, the first thing I would do is swap in a known good power supply. Everything in your computer depends on good, clean stable power. Then I would test the RAM, either by pulling all but one stick and running with that for awhile to see what happens, and swapping in sticks to hopefully find one that is bad, or by running MemTest86 for several passes. You should have "no" errors. Windows 7 and Windows 8 users can use the built in Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool.
Well i tested memory 2-3 this 2 month didnt find any errors model of PSU is ATX-400W P4
PC is 2 gb ram i have pc spec in profile if this can help for now its fine pc didnt shutdown till i started the thread shutdowns are happening so rarely at random moments, my main question is because i have some usb port who isnt recognized in device manager and do that failed hardware can cause pc to shutdown?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2014   #8
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

The first suspect is the power supply, as Nenad2 pointed out. If your motherboard had a low power indicator LED we would know if ALL power was going out when this happens.
The power supply has safety circuit breakers in it to shut off if current exceeds specs. This condition can also happen due to defect in the power supply.

The only good way to test a power supply for the home user is to switch it out with another (hopefully larger) known working power supply or to test with a multitester.

The second suspect is the CPU, which can shut down the system automatically if it overheats.
You want to be sure the PC is cleaned of heavy dust and that air flow is not blocked. The best test to see if overheating could be the cause is to remove the side(s) from the case and run it that way for a while. You could even blow a room fan directly at the case.

The third suspect is the case switches. If a POWER or RESET switch is loose or defective they can trigger a false off state. The case connectors at the motherboard can also be loose.

If you are not comfortable working inside a PC or doing any tests then it is a good idea to take it to a shop where they can do the tests for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2014   #9
Digerati

Windows 7 Profession 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen
If your motherboard had a low power indicator LED we would know if ALL power was going out when this happens.
Sorry, but no, that is not true either. The PSU outputs 3 separate voltages used by the various computer components; +3.3VDC, +5VDC, and +12VDC (plus +5Vsb standby voltage for when the computer is in sleep and standby modes). One "low power" LED indicator (and I have never seen a "low" power LED so sure would like to see a link to such a motherboard) could not report statuses of all 3 voltages.

As I noted above, typically, IF the motherboard has "a" LED, as in 1 LED, it is there to remind users there is still power present on the motherboard, such as when the PSU is outputting the ATX Form Factor standard required +5Vsb standby voltage needed for the various "Wake on..." commands - such as "Wake on Mouse" and "Wake on Keyboard", as well as the case's front panel power button.

But again, most motherboard's don't have power indicators because the case's front panel power LED indicator tells you when your computer is on (LED solid), S1 Sleep state (LED flashing), or S3/S4 sleep or powered off (LED off).

It is important as helpers we research the OP's computer specs and not assume what we see on our computers is the same with everyone's, so we don't confuse and lead readers astray with time wasting misinformation. A quick look at the GA-M52L-S3 User's Manual confirms this Gigabyte board does NOT have any motherboard LEDs, except for the Activity and Speed LEDs for the integrated NIC.

Personally, I don't see this being a faulty CPU since it does work sometime, unless the CPU is overheating. Are the case interior, CPU heatsink and vents all clean of heat-trapping dust?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nenad2
Well i tested memory 2-3 this 2 month didnt find any errors model of PSU is ATX-400W P4
Did you let the RAM tester run for several passes? That is important but note no software based memory tester is conclusive. If they report errors, the RAM is bad. But they often report no problems but the RAM still fails when installed, or when paired with other RAM. So testing and/or running with one stick at a time is often necessary (or simply swapping in new RAM).

As for your PSU, "ATX-400W P4" is a "generic" designation. So as I mentioned above, swapping in a known good supply to ensure good, clean power is the first thing I would do. Without knowing for certain the PSU is good, you cannot be certain problems seen with other components are not due to bad power from the PSU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2014   #10
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

The only information that is important to the OP - regarding the possibility that the power supply is cutting out - is whether he/she has an easy way to see if all power to the motherboard is going off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 PC shutdown itself, help




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Shutdown Unexpectedly, & Windows Did Not Shutdown Successfully Errors
EDIT: 11/21 The latest thing it says is windows did not shut down successfully because the system stopped responding. Anyone? After PC is left unattended more than an hour or so it gets a black screen with no error messages, but the CPU and fans are powered up. I must power off and cold...
General Discussion
windows 7 restart or shutdown stays at shutdown screen
New laptop lenovo ideapad from january i run a lot of programs for engineering on it works great. But it seems after a while online listening to music and browsing flash/shockwave whatever begins to crash if i exit out of chrome i cannot re open but i can open ie. running mcafee enterprise and...
General Discussion
Home Prem WOL works, Shutdown doesn't. How's Shutdown meant to work?
Hi, My apologies for asking something which has been asked and answered in many variations, but none of which has helped much. I have three Win7 Home Premium x64 PCs called BoyToy (my main PC), Salsa, and Polka, all of which are wired to a D-Link DIR-655 router. I want to wake and shutdown...
Network & Sharing
BSOD after shutdown, error 0x00000d1, shutdown not complete
Hi guys, I have a problem :cry:, from a few days now I have these BSOD, and could not imagine why, can't remember if I installed anything wrong. Maybe you can help i will attach the archive so I hope it will work. I tried to uninstall the video driver, didn't help. error is Bug Check...
BSOD Help and Support
SLOW Boot and Shutdown after forced Shutdown during Windows 7 Upgrade
Hello All, I have a ASUS Laptop with Intel I3 processer and Windows 7 Home Premium. I recently had a forced shutdown during a Windows upgrade session. Ever since then the Boot and Shutdown times have increased to over 15 minutes. I have run the msconfig unticking all but the antivirus...
Performance & Maintenance
Stop Shutdown process after click Shutdown button!
Hello! Please any body tell me how do i prevent shutdown process after click on Shutdown button! :D:D
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:43.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App