Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: computer won't boot, no operating system found

29 Nov 2014   #11
MonkeeMadness

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Again, I really would like to see a screenshot of your hard drive, taken when running standalone Partition Wizard from its boot CD (assuming you have a second computer you can burn that CD to, ..............
Downloading it now. Hopefully it is able to see something.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Nov 2014   #12
MonkeeMadness

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MonkeeMadness View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Again, I really would like to see a screenshot of your hard drive, taken when running standalone Partition Wizard from its boot CD (assuming you have a second computer you can burn that CD to, ..............
Downloading it now. Hopefully it is able to see something.
i get this error message this bootable CD does not support windows server

i tried the first 2 options same error, should i try the third?
Boot from PW boot disc
Boot from PW Boot Disc (safe mode)
Boot from local drive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2014   #13
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

I don't understand what that could mean... unless the hard drive contains Windows Server? Can't begin to imagine what it's coming from, assuming you downloaded the 8.1.1 ISO for the standalone bootable CD from the PW site and burned it, and assuming you were truly booting from that CD as it appears you were.

Although it should produce the same ISO download, here's another link from the PW web site that should produce the same ordinary bootable CD (it's a Linux boot disc I believe, but the launched program is the standard PW program). Just something else to try, although I would think it's going to produce the same burned bootable 8.1.1 CD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Nov 2014   #14
MonkeeMadness

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
I don't understand what that could mean... unless the hard drive contains Windows Server? Can't begin to imagine what it's coming from, assuming you downloaded the 8.1.1 ISO for the standalone bootable CD from the PW site and burned it, and assuming you were truly booting from that CD as it appears you were.

Although it should produce the same ISO download, here's another link from the PW web site that should produce the same ordinary bootable CD (it's a Linux boot disc I believe, but the launched program is the standard PW program). Just something else to try, although I would think it's going to produce the same burned bootable 8.1.1 CD.
downloading the other one now, this one is an exe file, will it still work? Also should i try the 3rd option?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2014   #15
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MonkeeMadness View Post
downloading the other one now, this one is an exe file, will it still work?
At the bottom of that page, there was a link for the "bootable CD". It is a link to the ISO. Don't know what you downloaded that produced an EXE.


Quote:
Also should i try the 3rd option?
No, you've already said the hard drive is unbootable.

Try re-burning this link above, to the ISO. But if when you then use it, if after all the Linux boot messages are finished and you're then supposed to see the launched PW user interface window on your screen, if instead you get the same message about Windows Server (meaning PW is not happy with the hard drive's format or content), I would suspect something very strange (or nothing at all!) is currently on your laptop's hard drive. How did it get there?? Don't know.

(gotta run out for a while. Be back later.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2014   #16
MonkeeMadness

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MonkeeMadness View Post
downloading the other one now, this one is an exe file, will it still work?
At the bottom of that page, there was a link for the "bootable CD". It is a link to the ISO. Don't know what you downloaded that produced an EXE.


Quote:
Also should i try the 3rd option?
No, you've already said the hard drive is unbootable.

Try re-burning this link above, to the ISO. But if when you then use it, if after all the Linux boot messages are finished and you're then supposed to see the launched PW user interface window on your screen, if instead you get the same message about Windows Server (meaning PW is not happy with the hard drive's format or content), I would suspect something very strange (or nothing at all!) is currently on your laptop's hard drive. How did it get there?? Don't know.

downloaded the second one, i get the same error. I will order the SATA to USB you suggested and give that a try.... i will post my findings once i get it .. meanwhile, thank you for your help. I will keep you posted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2014   #17
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MonkeeMadness View Post
downloaded the second one, i get the same error. I will order the SATA to USB you suggested and give that a try.... i will post my findings once i get it
Well, given the results from PW standalone which apparently can't read the drive via the machine's BIOS, and as was already mentioned the fact that the BIOS sees it as having 0GB capacity (shown in your screenshot), it really sounds like the drive itself has had a "catastrophic failure" making it completely unusable.

So while it's always a great convenience to have that SATA-to-USB adapter kit in your bag of tricks (so as to always feel you can most likely salvage the contents of a still-working and still-usable drive through a second computer, even if the rest of the first computer becomes useless and the working drive is all you have left), I'm afraid I'm pessimistic. So far all of the diagnostic clues point to a drive whose electronics are no longer functioning workably no matter through the BIOS or via external hardware adapter kit. But... fingers crossed. Realistically, however, I'm not optimistic.

While there are external data recovery services available to salvage data off of the disc platters, if it comes to that, my investigation has found them to be RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE, assuming they can be successful. I would think these situations can only be justified in extreme cases of truly valuable or priceless data which must absolutely be recovered at any cost.

Looking grim right now, I'm afraid.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2014   #18
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

The next thing to try will be to remove that drive from the laptop and hook it up to a desktop PC using a spare SATA cable and SATA power connector.
You will need to find someone that has a desktop.

The reason I suggest this is because transfer cables add another layer of complexity - another system that can go wrong - that you don't need right now.

If the drive can't be seen or accessed directly through a straight SATA connection on a running PC then you are probably looking at a dead drive. It will be very difficult to access and recover any data from that drive if it can not be seen or recognized. So give it a try.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2014   #19
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Hi MonkeeMadness,

Before you take out the HDD from the laptop, please try to access the drive from a live Linux pendrive to check whether it can access the drive. Follow the post here Is there any way of saving a completely unrecognisable hard drive?

If it still fails to find your drive:

You seem to have a Seagate drive. Run Seagate Seatools for DOS and check your drive. It can also repair the drive if possible. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use

Rufus: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Lucid Puppy (Ubuntu Compatible Build) 5.2.8 ISO from Long-Term-Supported WaryPuppy (LTS)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2014   #20
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

I don't understand what that could mean... unless the hard drive contains Windows Server?

That`s exactly what it means :)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 computer won't boot, no operating system found




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Deleted Entire HDD, Operating System Not Found - Wont boot from CD
Hi I hope somebody on this knowledgeable forum can help me after a very silly mistake I had committed when trying to reinstall/reformat my friend's Samsung R519 Laptop and do a clean install of windows 7. I had used the tutorial below, using diskpart to 'clean all' How to Do a Clean...
Installation & Setup
How to recover data if computer ia showing "no operating system found"
Hey I had Windows 7 home basic installed on my dell inspiron laptop, and there was only 1 partition (c drive), I think that I deleted something from windows, and now when m switching on the laptop its saying "operating system not found". Somebody please help me, how can I recover the data on hard...
General Discussion
Windows 7 Virus - File \Boot\BCD Missing, Operating System Not Found
I must have been infected with a virus. It happened during the day when I was at work and my computer was on standby. I came home and found the Operating System Not Found error on my black screen. I downloaded the Wondershare Liveboot and ran that and it froze. My son stopped it because he...
General Discussion
I start my computer and get "No operating system found. Press Ctrl....
I start my computer and get "No operating system found. Press Ctrl Alt Deleteto restart" I think I set my C partition so it doesn't boot on it and boots on the Z partition which has nothing in it. Or unallocated space. ...
General Discussion
Operating System Not Found and Slow Computer
I've had this Sony Vaio VPCEE3WFX/BJ for about a year now. It was working fine until a couple of days ago. My little sister was on it and was playing Poptropica and that was the only thing she did on there. After shutting down the computer, I didn't turn it on until the next day. After pressing the...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20.
Twitter Facebook Google+