Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Power supply installation: any tips for a newbie?

27 Feb 2015   #11
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
The extra one is probably for an additional disk - e.g. if you want to add a SSD. I have upgraded several HP and Dell desktops with SSDs and there was always that extra rail.
Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Feb 2015   #12
strollin

W10 Pro desktop, W10 laptop, W10 laptop, W10 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)
 
 

You're making this out to be far more difficult than it really is. The plugs are all keyed and of different sizes so there is no way to plug them into the wrong connector or plug them in the wrong way. Replacing the power supply is one of the easiest and most foolproof repairs one could do on a computer. It takes about 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes if you are extra, extra careful.

The only time I have seen someone botch installing a PSU is when a knucklehead used 6 inch long screws to screw down the PSU to the chassis. The screws were so long that they shorted something within the PSU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2015   #13
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
The only time I have seen someone botch installing a PSU is when a knucklehead used 6 inch long screws to screw down the PSU to the chassis. The screws were so long that they shorted something within the PSU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Feb 2015   #14
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by strollin View Post
You're making this out to be far more difficult than it really is. The plugs are all keyed and of different sizes so there is no way to plug them into the wrong connector or plug them in the wrong way. Replacing the power supply is one of the easiest and most foolproof repairs one could do on a computer. It takes about 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes if you are extra, extra careful.

The only time I have seen someone botch installing a PSU is when a knucklehead used 6 inch long screws to screw down the PSU to the chassis. The screws were so long that they shorted something within the PSU.
Never done it before. That's why. Six in screws??? Wow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2015   #15
strollin

W10 Pro desktop, W10 laptop, W10 laptop, W10 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)
 
 

I get that you've never done it before. I was trying to convey to you that it's pretty easy and you'll do fine (just don't use long screws!).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2015   #16
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Thanks for all your generous answers. I have checked some youtube videos. The one instruction that made me nervous was a responsible sounding guy who cautioned to provide support beneath the motherboard when inserting the 24 pin connector because it's possible to bend or crack a motherboard and I just don't see a way to do that when it's installed in the box. I notice that my PSU has 5. One goes to the Video Card, one to the 12 pin, one to the CPU's 4 pin, another seems to go to the hard drive and another has been tucked away neatly behind the card reader. I assume that one is for motherboards that handle extra power supply when needed, which my motherboard doesn't have. I've posted a photo. I don't know how good it is. My MB is Cleveland. I've provided HP's photo. Here's other info:

Manufacturer: Pegatron

Form factor: Micro-ATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)

Chipset: Intel H67

Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3

Front side bus speeds: 2.5 GT/s

Processor socket: LGA 1155

Expansion Slots:

1 PCI Express x16

3 PCI Express x1

1 Half-Length MiniCard x1

More info here: HP Support document - HP Support Center
Sorry about my earlier post meant for someone else

Now to find the size you want use this it will give you a good idea of that for manufacturers well they are exactly what they seem to be for example some Corsair models are made by one company and others by another but in general it is better to buy something that is not cheap (and usually nasty)
eXtreme Power Supply Calculator - The only power supply calculator trusted by PSU manufacturers and computer enthusiasts
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2015   #17
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by strollin View Post
I get that you've never done it before. I was trying to convey to you that it's pretty easy and you'll do fine (just don't use long screws!).
I'm pretty sure I'll use the ones provided! :)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2015   #18
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Thanks for all your generous answers. I have checked some youtube videos. The one instruction that made me nervous was a responsible sounding guy who cautioned to provide support beneath the motherboard when inserting the 24 pin connector because it's possible to bend or crack a motherboard and I just don't see a way to do that when it's installed in the box. I notice that my PSU has 5. One goes to the Video Card, one to the 12 pin, one to the CPU's 4 pin, another seems to go to the hard drive and another has been tucked away neatly behind the card reader. I assume that one is for motherboards that handle extra power supply when needed, which my motherboard doesn't have. I've posted a photo. I don't know how good it is. My MB is Cleveland. I've provided HP's photo. Here's other info:

Manufacturer: Pegatron

Form factor: Micro-ATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)

Chipset: Intel H67

Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3

Front side bus speeds: 2.5 GT/s

Processor socket: LGA 1155

Expansion Slots:

1 PCI Express x16

3 PCI Express x1

1 Half-Length MiniCard x1

More info here: HP Support document - HP Support Center
Sorry about my earlier post meant for someone else

Now to find the size you want use this it will give you a good idea of that for manufacturers well they are exactly what they seem to be for example some Corsair models are made by one company and others by another but in general it is better to buy something that is not cheap (and usually nasty)
eXtreme Power Supply Calculator - The only power supply calculator trusted by PSU manufacturers and computer enthusiasts
Thanks for that link. I used Cooler Master's lookup. It will be interesting to see how they differ.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2015   #19
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Yes please let us know and just in case you might b interested this is who makes what - well I use these as a guide http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers & PSU Makers: C-D - Who's Who In Power Supplies, 2014: Brands Vs. Manufacturers

PS You need to go back to this for the start PSU Makers: 0-9 And A-B - Who's Who In Power Supplies, 2014: Brands Vs. Manufacturers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2015   #20
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Yes please let us know and just in case you might b interested this is who makes what - well I use these as a guide http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers & PSU Makers: C-D - Who's Who In Power Supplies, 2014: Brands Vs. Manufacturers

PS You need to go back to this for the start PSU Makers: 0-9 And A-B - Who's Who In Power Supplies, 2014: Brands Vs. Manufacturers
I'll do that as soon as I can decipher the Greek. I had to look up overclocking yesterday :)

Your help is much appreciated, confusion therapist. I sure do need one!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Power supply installation: any tips for a newbie?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Bought new Power Supply Unit, won't power on. Did I buy the wrong one?
I have a Corsair CX430M PSU with 4 slots to connect in the back. CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com & bought a new Antec BP550 Plus PSU, which has 5 slots to connect to. Antec BP550 Plus ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
possible bad power supply?
got home tonight hit power button got nothing.hit power button a few more times finally i see a faint blue light on front and hear fans try to start and then shut off.look insde and see motherboard has two lights on so i figure its getting power.try again hit button a few more times it powers up...
Hardware & Devices
Is my power supply going bad?
I recently bought & put together a new PC. I rarely shut my pc down, last night I noticed it was off. I hit the power button to power it back on and nothing happened. So I flipped the power switch on the power supply off and then back on and hit the power button on the case and it powered up. ...
General Discussion
Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply
Ok, so it's time again for me to pick a new power supply, however, I'm in need of some help determining the appropriate wattage for my hardware setup. AMD Phenom II X4 955 45nm AM3 GSkill Ripjaw X 16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24) Corsair TX750w (I dont think its the V2) ASUS...
Hardware & Devices
Looking for a New Power Supply
Hi, I want to update my PSU from the 580w hipper type M, i got, to the Corsair Pro Series Gold AX750 80 PLUS. Supports the latest ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92. My computer specks are, Gigabyte M59SLI-S5. Win 7 Ultimate v6.1.7601 Service Pk1 Build 7601 X86. Processor:AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57.
Twitter Facebook Google+