Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why is only 1/4 of my installed RAM usable?

07 May 2015   #1
tfwcook

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 
Why is only 1/4 of my installed RAM usable?

So I'm not terrible with computers, but I'm not that great at all. I did build this computer and it's been working beautifully for 2 years. Recently it started be waayy slower, so after some quick investigation I found out that of my 16GB of RAM installed, only 3.24GB is usable. I've looked all over the internet and tried a bunch of things, but I can't figure it out. Can anyone help?




Attached Thumbnails
Why is only 1/4 of my installed RAM usable?-ram.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 May 2015   #2
Berton

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Mac OS X 10.10, Linux Mint 17, Windows 10 Pro TP
 
 

Simply put, the problem is your version of Windows, shows as 32-bit and there is an issue with more than about 3.2GB to 3.5GB or so. If you were to install a 64-bit version you'd get access to all 16GB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2015   #3
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709 Windows 7 Pro/64
 
 

It's pretty simple. You have OS Windows 7 Professional 32bit system which will never show more that 4 gigs of ram. Windows 32 bit system is unable to use more ram.

What operating system did you have installed before Windows 7 Professional 32bit was installed. Where did you get Windows 7 Professional 32bi?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 May 2015   #4
tfwcook

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Berton View Post
Simply put, the problem is your version of Windows, shows as 32-bit and there is an issue with more than about 3.2GB to 3.5GB or so. If you were to install a 64-bit version you'd get access to all 16GB.
Thanks! I'll try that and let you know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2015   #5
tfwcook

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
It's pretty simple. You have OS Windows 7 Professional 32bit system which will never show more that 4 gigs of ram. Windows 32 bit system is unable to use more ram.

What operating system did you have installed before Windows 7 Professional 32bit was installed. Where did you get Windows 7 Professional 32bi?
This is the only OS I've ever had on the machine. I'm pretty sure my friend gave it to me when I built it a couple years ago.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2015   #6
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

The amount of useable RAM will not be the cause of your PC slowing down then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2015   #7
tfwcook

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
The amount of useable RAM will not be the cause of your PC slowing down then.
Really? What do you think the most likely problems would be? Every time I have a program crash (a game for example) my task manager always shows that my Physical Memory is running close to 100% (which according to the task manager is ~4GB). Therefore I guess I assumed it was a RAM issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2015   #8
Berton

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Mac OS X 10.10, Linux Mint 17, Windows 10 Pro TP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tfwcook View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Berton View Post
Simply put, the problem is your version of Windows, shows as 32-bit and there is an issue with more than about 3.2GB to 3.5GB or so. If you were to install a 64-bit version you'd get access to all 16GB.
Thanks! I'll try that and let you know.
You're welcome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2015   #9
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tfwcook View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
The amount of useable RAM will not be the cause of your PC slowing down then.
Really? What do you think the most likely problems would be? Every time I have a program crash (a game for example) my task manager always shows that my Physical Memory is running close to 100% (which according to the task manager is ~4GB). Therefore I guess I assumed it was a RAM issue.
The amount of useable RAM hasn't changed if you've always had a 32-bit OS. You need to find ou what's hogging all of your RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2015   #10
Berton

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Mac OS X 10.10, Linux Mint 17, Windows 10 Pro TP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tfwcook View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
The amount of useable RAM will not be the cause of your PC slowing down then.
Really? What do you think the most likely problems would be? Every time I have a program crash (a game for example) my task manager always shows that my Physical Memory is running close to 100% (which according to the task manager is ~4GB). Therefore I guess I assumed it was a RAM issue.
Physical Memory can run up to 100% and if that happens regularly you might check into what your Virtual Memory/paging file is set at, may be good to make it larger, say twice the size of the RAM. I set mine at 1.5 times the RAM and the same number for Maximum and Minimum but games, video editing, large spreadsheets, etc., do need more than the minimum requirements. Running more programs at the same time exacerbates the problem. Windows loves as much RAM as it can get.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why is only 1/4 of my installed RAM usable?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
4GB Installed only 2GB usable
Sorry guys, I had to post another topic about this. I already understand why PAE isn't enabled on 32-bit versions. This is making me uncomfortable seeing that only a half of the memory is being used and the remaining is sitting there doing nothing. I'm not even getting better performance it's...
Hardware & Devices
8 GB RAM installed (3.98) usable
Hi all, Have check everywhere for a solution do this. I have recently build my own pc and its going great But i have 2x4gb ram chips installed dual channel and its only detecting 4gb usable there is no memory mapping for my mobo and yes im on a 64 bit system have tried everything can...
General Discussion
Installed vs Usable Ram
I've got a new Dell XPS 8100, i5-750. Shows: Installed Ram: 6 gb (2.96 gb usable) System: 64 bit System managed paging, which shows a page size of 3 gb. I have a GTS 240 1 gb card. Shouldn't all my Ram be usable? Suggestions?
Performance & Maintenance
RAM: 4GB installed and only 2.93 usable.
I have 4GB installed and only 2.93 usable. I tried the solution given by rektalstab 1)Run 2)type "msconfig" 3)Go under the "boot" tab 4)click "advanced options" button 5)UNCHECK! "Maximum memory" 6)Reboot
Hardware & Devices
6 GB Installed (3 GB usable)
Howdy! So I've read up a bit on this from other posts of the same problem and here's what I've tried: Tried msconfig---every time I try to set the amount to anything above 2048 it resets. Tried deselecting "Max Memory" and it shows the same amount. Updated BIOS (Which only detected 3063...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:23.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App