Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can I add hard drive to pictured PC and is the fan OK

05 Jan 2016   #51
April Raine

win 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by April Raine View Post
The crucial scanner recommends these Computer memory and SSD upgrades for Medion Medion Motherboards Medion MS-7616 Motherboard from Crucial

click stay on eu site button to see the RAM suggested

All CL 11 but the RAM I have is CL 9. Won't CL 11 slow it all down to CL 11?
I'm not sure about that. But...............even if it did the chances of you noticing it are virtually zero. The only place that would show up is in a benchmark.

I'd be more concerned about getting the same speed and voltage. DDR3 1333, 1.5 volts or whatever your current RAM is.

And--if you must have CL 9, there is plenty of that on the market.

Components, Memory, Desktop Memory, 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM, 9 - Newegg.com

If you want absolute certainty that all of your RAM will be recognized and run at rated speeds and specs, you pretty much have to buy all new RAM in which each stick in the set is a known match for the other.
ok i am not bothered about bench mark as long as not noticeably slower is ok my ddr and voltage etc is matched ok. I can get CL 9 from another supplier if i decide to. Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Jan 2016   #52
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by April Raine View Post
The crucial scanner recommends these Computer memory and SSD upgrades for Medion Medion Motherboards Medion MS-7616 Motherboard from Crucial

click stay on eu site button to see the RAM suggested

All CL 11 but the RAM I have is CL 9. Won't CL 11 slow it all down to CL 11?
Looks cheap so get 3-2gb sticks and toss the little 1gb stick away
You'd then have 8gbs of ram.
Personally I'd get 4x2gb sticks and toss what ever you have away.

You should remove the 1gb stick and redo the scanner just to make sure the scanner is only reading the single 2gb stick.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2016   #53
April Raine

win 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

New disk fitted and 8GB RAM added so 11GB RAM total. The crucial scanner was wrong
Thanks for the help


Attached Thumbnails
Can I add hard drive to pictured PC and is the fan OK-newhd.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Mar 2017   #54
neilwheel

windows 7 home premium 32
 
 

Thanks for the thread April;
I know its a bit dated now , but so am I and so is my PC! I have the same model as you, I'm having problems with a noisy fan; the problem lies with the fan itself, so an upgrade to a better PSU is about to happen. I added new memory to the board when I first got mine but only went as far as raising it to 3gb. I was told at the time that was the limit for the system. Seems that may have been the wrong info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2017   #55
April Raine

win 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

@neilwheel. There was already 3GB of RAM in mine. I have upped to 11GB and am going to up to 16GB which is the limit. I had a problem from time to time with what sounds like the fan as well. Sometimes it is still a bit loud at night but not as loud as it was then. I sometimes wonder if that funnel around the fan is loose. will have look when installing the extra RAM

How wlll upgrading the PSU help the fan noise?. Make sure you check PSU is suitable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2017   #56
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by neilwheel View Post
Thanks for the thread April;
I know its a bit dated now , but so am I and so is my PC! I have the same model as you, I'm having problems with a noisy fan; the problem lies with the fan itself, so an upgrade to a better PSU is about to happen. I added new memory to the board when I first got mine but only went as far as raising it to 3gb. I was told at the time that was the limit for the system. Seems that may have been the wrong info.
[Emphasis mine]

If you have a 32 bit version of Windows, which it says you do in your system specs, you are limited to 4 GB of RAM. The system will allow you to use about 3.3 GB, and reserve the rest of the 4 GB for its own use. No way you can get around it, it's a limitation of the operating system.

Buying more RAM for your system would be a waste, if you were considering it. You would need a 64 bit version of Windows to take advantage of more RAM.

And as April mentioned, how does a new PSU help a noisy fan? Is the noisy fan you have now in the PSU?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2017   #57
April Raine

win 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
[Emphasis mine]

If you have a 32 bit version of Windows, which it says you do in your system specs, you are limited to 4 GB of RAM. The system will allow you to use about 3.3 GB, and reserve the rest of the 4 GB for its own use. No way you can get around it, it's a limitation of the operating system.

Buying more RAM for your system would be a waste, if you were considering it. You would need a 64 bit version of Windows to take advantage of more RAM.

And as April mentioned, how does a new PSU help a noisy fan? Is the noisy fan you have now in the PSU?
My PC had 32 bit and 64 bit disks with the 32 preinstalled. I changed to 64 bit so I can have 16 GB RAM
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2017   #58
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by April Raine View Post
My PC had 32 bit and 64 bit disks with the 32 preinstalled. I changed to 64 bit so I can have 16 GB RAM
Hopefully neilwheel has a 64 bit disk so that he can change over and utilize more RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2017   #59
neilwheel

windows 7 home premium 32
 
 

Hi April, Mellon,

My box came from the shop with 2gb RAM.
I added an extra 1gb with a Kingston memory PCi stick. I found out later that 64bit could boost the amount of usable memory but at the time wanted to play safe with 32bit because I was running 32 bit programs. Not an issue now 7 years on. The PSU has got a big fan on its underside. The PSU is a cheapo generic job; I'm going to fit a Crucial with higher wattage. The current fan runs very loud; I can quiet it down by brushing lightly on the vanes with a soft artists brush but I don't want to be doing this every time I boot up. The CPU fan is OK. I thought it was the culprit originally but its not. I removed the clip-on cover and ran the system without it and no change. So I clipped it back on. I think it's there to prevent any crap that gets blown out by the PSU and GPU or gathered on the case floor getting sucked up into the fan housing.

I've had two hard disks fail since i got the Medion. The first was replaced with a Seagate unit under warranty but that failed a couple of weeks ago and I replaced that with an Hitachi. I would like to add an SSD to handle the boot sequence and leave all the storage to the HDD. I know I'd probably be better putting the money towards a new system, but it serves my needs when everything is working so a few tweeks will keep it in service for a few more years. I wish now I'd bought the dedicated backup/storage drive at the time as they're no longer available. They're a very neat solution. I make do with a 1tb Seagate backup drive that plugs in via USB. It's a bit slow, but does the job.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2017   #60
April Raine

win 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by neilwheel View Post
Hi April, Mellon,

My box came from the shop with 2gb RAM.
I added an extra 1gb with a Kingston memory PCi stick. I found out later that 64bit could boost the amount of usable memory but at the time wanted to play safe with 32bit because I was running 32 bit programs. Not an issue now 7 years on. The PSU has got a big fan on its underside. The PSU is a cheapo generic job; I'm going to fit a Crucial with higher wattage. The current fan runs very loud; I can quiet it down by brushing lightly on the vanes with a soft artists brush but I don't want to be doing this every time I boot up. The CPU fan is OK. I thought it was the culprit originally but its not. I removed the clip-on cover and ran the system without it and no change. So I clipped it back on. I think it's there to prevent any crap that gets blown out by the PSU and GPU or gathered on the case floor getting sucked up into the fan housing.

I've had two hard disks fail since i got the Medion. The first was replaced with a Seagate unit under warranty but that failed a couple of weeks ago and I replaced that with an Hitachi. I would like to add an SSD to handle the boot sequence and leave all the storage to the HDD. I know I'd probably be better putting the money towards a new system, but it serves my needs when everything is working so a few tweeks will keep it in service for a few more years. I wish now I'd bought the dedicated backup/storage drive at the time as they're no longer available. They're a very neat solution. I make do with a 1tb Seagate backup drive that plugs in via USB. It's a bit slow, but does the job.
I did not know they came with 2GB RAM. My disk is Western Digital, it did not fail and I have it since 2010. I added another the subject of this thread.

There is a good program Hard Disk Sentinel that tracks disks and warns if there is a problem.

I did not realise the PSU had a fan too. Maybe that was the noise I heard. There is also a fan on the GPU, the white one between the PSU and the CPU. If, by "dedicated backup/storage drive" you mean the HardDrive2Go that sits on top of the case outside, I have one very handy. But you can get external hard drive of 1TB quite cheap now in Argos or Tesco. I have Canvio Basics - Toshiba
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I add hard drive to pictured PC and is the fan OK




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
hard drive failed, system image not found on hard drive
hi all, i hope someone can help me out, i am a newbie to all this so bare with me. my hard drive failed over a month ago but i managed to do a system image with win7 to my new 2tb internal hard drive. i cannot get the image recovery to work as i says "no image can be found on hard disk". i am at...
Backup and Restore
How do I transfer files from bad sata hard drive to new hard drive
Hi. I have a virus infected sata hard drive with windows 7 on it. It has the win 7 anti virus 2012 on it, and it's a cybercriminal virus. I have lots of files I want to transfer to the new sata drive. I already have windows 7 installed on the new drive. How do I get the files from the bad drive to...
Installation & Setup
Os hard drive and local disk hard drive how can i make them into one?
i have a problem my laptop says it has two hard drives though it only has one physical one my os hard drive is filled and my local disk has lots og free space can someone help me combine them?
Hardware & Devices
Computer Not Booting Hard Drive/Unresponsive Hard Drive
Hey guys, I have a HP Touchsmart IQ500. Turning my computer PC on today, all I got was a blue HP invent screen with setup, boot menu, system recovery, and system diagnosis, and I could not get past it. I entered the BIOS and figured out that the hard drive was listed as "not installed."...
Hardware & Devices
AMD Radeon HD 6990 graphics card pictured
http://static.techspot.com/fileshost/newspics3/2010/radeon-6990.jpg AMD Radeon HD 6990 graphics card pictured - TechSpot News Source: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=28650
Graphic Cards
Nvidia's dual-GPU GeForce GTX 59x pictured
more..
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App