Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Every usb port is underpowered for more demanding devices

10 Jan 2017   #1
Tir McDohl

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Every usb port is underpowered for more demanding devices

Greetings. Situation is as follows: 2500k, z77-A, 8g ram, gtx960, 3 HDD (2.5tb tot) Thermaltake Berlin

I have two usb 3.0 ports and four 2.0 on the back, 4 more 2.0 to the front and all work well, no hiccup or slow transfer data or failure to detect usb pen, cellphone, 3-led usb light, external hdd, external sound card, usb headset, keyboard and mouse.

The problem is that they don't seem to output nearly enough power to either detect or fully support peripherals like gamepads or racing wheels.

So far I tried three items: a DualShock 2 hooked to one of those blue triangular adapters with the chinese drivers (Twin PS to PC), a generic PS2-PS360-PC wheel, a generic plug and play dualshock knockoff (no drivers needed).

Originally, all three worked flawlessly, except for whenever I tried to use rumble with the DS2, it would disconnect (common regardless of the device with most pc pads).

I haven't gamed for quite a while, so I did not notice sooner I guess, but after a full check:

- The chinese adapter only works on one USB 3.0 port, in the other one it blinks (stutters) and tends to shut down. The rumble-makes-it-die handicap still there
- The plug and play pad does not work at all anymore. In the USB 3.0 it boots as unknown device, in the 2.0 it says it had to shut it down because it had issues (not true). Oh, and I even opened it and cut the rumble motors off to see if it would ease the power draw. Nada.
- The wheel is recognized in every single port as 360 pad (as originally intended for full analog support) but only the green light in the back is turned on, the red light in front (power?) is off, and in the gamepad control panel it inputs no signal at all.

As for troubleshooting I tried reset of cmos, all ports empty but the one malfunctioning device, boot on win 10 (currently still on 7), no gpu (not sure if that even makes sense but), let the rig rest for 12 hours all unplugged inside and outside, then took the battery out again and let it sit for ten minutes before booting. Nothing, both on 7 and 10 it shows the same results.

What else can I think of other than looking for a cheap usb hub with external ac adapter option?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Jan 2017   #2
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Ok Tir now one of the first things that comes to mind is that the build is like one of mine a Sandy Bridge and therefore getting on a bit and I am just wondering if the PSU may need a look at.
So take a look at this and post back please - as by the by just what board do you have in place - an Asus Z77-A could be a few models.
Using HW Info
PART A:
You can test the volts on the PSU with HW Info HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download < download the right bit version and close the right hand window select Sensors and scroll down to the power section where you will see what the volts are doing see my pic. In my pic the section (Nuvoton) with VBATT as a dead give away you are in the section for the rail voltages. There are other section titles and one that pops up often is ITE (sometimes the usual one for Gigabyte boards)
Now the voltage on the different rails have to be within 5% =+/- of what is required or the machine will not work properly if at all.
Limits +/-
12v1 = 11.4 - 12 - 12.6v
12v2 = 11.4 - 12- 12.6v
5v = 4.75 5 - 5.25v
3.3v = 3.135 3 3.465v
-12v = -10.80 - -12 - -13.20v
+5VSB = 4.75 5 - 5.25v
The Power good signal voltage at pin 8 on the 24 pin plug (grey cable) should be the same as the 5v rail reading/s
See this for the rail voltage info
PSUs 101: A Detailed Look Into Power Supplies (Section 2.)
The original right hand window shows the machine running and is handy for that but for looking at the components in some detail close it and use the main left hand side panel
FOR OTHER COMPONENTS
PART B:
Open each small square with + in it on the section the components are in and then click on the individual component/s (it will highlight in blue) - in the right hand side will appear all sorts of details including brands speeds and other essential info that particular device. See pic for example.


Attached Thumbnails
Every usb port is underpowered for more demanding devices-hw-info-desktop-psu.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2017   #3
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

Hi Tir,
just a comment not my area.

You referenced the GPU, your graphics set-up, and W10 dual boot.

im wondering if an update has changed the GPU values/properties in the BIOS set-up

Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jan 2017   #4
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Hmm yes Roy should have seen the dual boot part too and am wondering if the drivers for different OS's have somehow got muddled?? Just a thought.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2017   #5
Tir McDohl

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks for all replies. I'll go in order. From HWInfo64 there's the picture

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Ok Tir now one of the first things that comes to mind is that the build is like one of mine a Sandy Bridge and therefore getting on a bit and I am just wondering if the PSU may need a look at.
So take a look at this and post back please - as by the by just what board do you have in place - an Asus Z77-A could be a few models.
Using HW Info
PART A:
You can test the volts on the PSU with HW Info HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download < download the right bit version and close the right hand window select Sensors and scroll down to the power section where you will see what the volts are doing see my pic. In my pic the section (Nuvoton) with VBATT as a dead give away you are in the section for the rail voltages. There are other section titles and one that pops up often is ITE (sometimes the usual one for Gigabyte boards)
Now the voltage on the different rails have to be within 5% =+/- of what is required or the machine will not work properly if at all.
Limits +/-
12v1 = 11.4 - 12 - 12.6v
12v2 = 11.4 - 12- 12.6v
5v = 4.75 5 - 5.25v
3.3v = 3.135 3 3.465v
-12v = -10.80 - -12 - -13.20v
+5VSB = 4.75 5 - 5.25v
The Power good signal voltage at pin 8 on the 24 pin plug (grey cable) should be the same as the 5v rail reading/s
See this for the rail voltage info
PSUs 101: A Detailed Look Into Power Supplies (Section 2.)
The original right hand window shows the machine running and is handy for that but for looking at the components in some detail close it and use the main left hand side panel
FOR OTHER COMPONENTS
PART B:
Open each small square with + in it on the section the components are in and then click on the individual component/s (it will highlight in blue) - in the right hand side will appear all sorts of details including brands speeds and other essential info that particular device. See pic for example.
The board is just that, Z77-A. The pad shows failed enumeration in any hub, and no info.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Tir,
just a comment not my area.

You referenced the GPU, your graphics set-up, and W10 dual boot.

im wondering if an update has changed the GPU values/properties in the BIOS set-up

Roy
Could be, but all the settings should have been restored to default when I resetted the cmos multiple times. The bios is up to date, before anyone asks.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Hmm yes Roy should have seen the dual boot part too and am wondering if the drivers for different OS's have somehow got muddled?? Just a thought.
10 is installed on a separate hard disk, and I detached the original hdd with seven when I installed it. Besides, I haven't booted on 10 for months, and only after the issue surfaced.


Attached Thumbnails
Every usb port is underpowered for more demanding devices-twin-usb.png   Every usb port is underpowered for more demanding devices-wheel.png  
Attached Images
Every usb port is underpowered for more demanding devices-motherboard.png Every usb port is underpowered for more demanding devices-device-failed-enumeration.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Every usb port is underpowered for more demanding devices




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD playing any demanding(and non demanding) game, error oxooooo116
Basically, im out of options. if this doesnt work, im going to have to send in my computer and get it fixed manually i suppose. In anycase, i currently own an Alienware M17x R4 with a NVIDIA GTX 675M graphics card and i have owned it for a year and a quarter now. Basically, whenever i try to run...
BSOD Help and Support
usb devices plugged in one port only lights up..
hello.. i need help please.. i have a hp pavilion g6 usb port problem.. i have windows 7 home premium.. everything was working well weeks ago.. then suddenly.. one usb port suddenly stopped working.. everytime i insert a device into that port.. example.. a flash drive.. it only lights up.....
Hardware & Devices
USB 3.0 Port Not Working with USB 3.0 Devices
Hi everyone, I've looked around for similar threads, but nothing has resolved my problem so far. OS: Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1 CPU: i7 720 About a week ago, my USB 3.0 port on my laptop stopped working with my WD 1TB USB3.0 MyPassport. The port works for 2.0 devices like my printer, but not...
Hardware & Devices
Only 1 IDE port but 2 IDE devices..
Hey Everyone, new to this forum but if I posted wrong then please move it. Alright I'm currently upgrading my computer alittle, started with a new motherboard, psu, cpu and graphicscard, but when i got the parts and started looking around I noticed that the mother board (MSI 770-C45) only had...
Hardware & Devices
X2 64 5200+ underpowered??
Problem: Processor shows very low rating in Windows Experience Index (Windows 7) I have 2 identical PC rigs: - AMD Athlon X2 64 5200+ 2.70Ghz - 2GB RAM - Asus M2A-MX with an onboard ATi Radeon x1200 - 250GB HDD - Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit 7600
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:21.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App