Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Anomalies

20 Mar 2017   #11
timw128

Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnhoh View Post
I did, indeed, read the Scott Hanselman blog regarding defragging SSD's a couple of weeks ago-

The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? - Scott Hanselman

Here's an O&O and Piriform Defraggler analysis-




Attached Thumbnails
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Anomalies-o-o.jpg   Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Anomalies-piriform.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Mar 2017   #12
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Ok Tim it seems from the post #7 that you and I are not on the same page, and that I get the impression that my views are not really to your liking - so I shall leave this one to John when I find the software I referred to - at the moment the site is down for maintenance I shall just link in what they have when it comes up again.

I have Samsungs I think as I mentioned back early in this thread in all my machines right now that have never given me any problems and all I use is CCleaner because I don't think it has much if any deleterious effects on the drives. As a matter of interest I am not a fan of fancy software that claims to make anything from hardware to software perform faster or more efficiently. In fact I have in the distant past found myself reinstalling many times through inexperience from using such rubbish.
I do have 10 on two machines right now and the drives are or seem to be taken care of by the OS though as I have been away from home for some three months (hospital) I have not been able to keep up with what has gone on with them.

I have also got other brand drives such as SanDisk and Crucial all much of a muchness the only real difference between them and the Samsung is the warranty period.

Anyway I do hope you sort something out re your query.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2017   #13
timw128

Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Ok Tim it seems from the post #7 that you and I are not on the same page, and that I get the impression that my views are not really to your liking...
Hmmm, I guess I'm missing something here... I certainly wasn't trying to leave you with that impression,

and we're sorry you took it as such.

As stated in latter comments, we mentioned that we've used the drive a lot, in essence, and that more than

likely should implement different habits.

The link you presented was useful- especially the sub-link within to Wikipedia on wear leveling.

I think the fact that we thanked you for your input pretty much says it all, let alone that we've added

to your rep.

We found a program that has specific algorithms for dealing with fragments on a flash memory disk, per

John's input on the matter (link). We tried MyDefrag, it analyzed at 32.9% fragmentation, and reduced

it to 1%. MyDefrag knows nothing about memory block fragmentation because MyDefrag operates at the

file system level, not the hardware level. However, the MyDefrag script for flash memory disks will

consolidate free space, and this reduces the problems caused by this kind of fragmentation, with minimal

writes.

Programs such as PerfectDisk/O&O Defrag & MyDefrag all state that a consolidation of free space WILL

improve performance - contradicting the first rule of SSD's (not to defrag). with minimal writes.

I feel comfortable that this SSD is performing well and within its designed performance intent,

according to Samsung spec.

Again, thanks for your input.


Attached Thumbnails
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Anomalies-after-defrag.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Mar 2017   #14
timw128

Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
 
 

We thank all who involved themselves on this thread.

Kind Regards-

tim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2017   #15
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Ok Tim this is the link to a great site you might even know of Best Free Hard Drive Health Monitoring and Diagnostic Programs | Gizmo's Freeware and well I might have been a little presumptuous and I apologise for that being in this hospital for over 12 weeks has been a real trial but not that it is any excuse really.

I thought if you haven't seen it before might like to try this tutorial in my ditty here as I often include it when posting back to members.
Just a little something that will make your machine a little faster and more efficient is this Optimize Windows 7
It is my bible when installing an OS on my machines and also when I am fixing friends and family machines too.
Now if you go through it slowly you will find lots of tweaks and they are all really thoroughly done by the authour Brink a fellow who is in my mind brilliant and if you need to ask questions he is just the most obliging person around.
The other thing is that you may lose some of the "bling" such as transparency (you don't have to I find it unnecessary) and all the tweaks are reversible.
If you do get stuck just post back in that tutorial and you will get help. Another bonus using this tutorial is that it helps you find your way around your machine and Windows 7!
Just one tip I would say you start with is do this Registry - Backup and Restore do this and it will save you a lot of grief if you are ever doing things in the registry and even if you don't it is a good back up to have if your system ever gets corrupted.
(pretyped to save time)

John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2017   #16
timw128

Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Ok Tim this is the link to a great site you might even know of Best Free Hard Drive Health Monitoring and Diagnostic Programs | Gizmo's Freeware and well I might have been a little presumptuous and I apologise for that being in this hospital for over 12 weeks has been a real trial but not that it is any excuse really.

I thought if you haven't seen it before might like to try this tutorial in my ditty here as I often include it when posting back to members.
Just a little something that will make your machine a little faster and more efficient is this Optimize Windows 7
It is my bible when installing an OS on my machines and also when I am fixing friends and family machines too.
Now if you go through it slowly you will find lots of tweaks and they are all really thoroughly done by the authour Brink a fellow who is in my mind brilliant and if you need to ask questions he is just the most obliging person around.
The other thing is that you may lose some of the "bling" such as transparency (you don't have to I find it unnecessary) and all the tweaks are reversible.
If you do get stuck just post back in that tutorial and you will get help. Another bonus using this tutorial is that it helps you find your way around your machine and Windows 7!
Just one tip I would say you start with is do this Registry - Backup and Restore do this and it will save you a lot of grief if you are ever doing things in the registry and even if you don't it is a good back up to have if your system ever gets corrupted.
(pretyped to save time)

John
All's well, John, and we sincerely hope you're doing better. I know the feelings of exasperation regarding

health issues, having went through chemo 5 yrs. ago that forever changed my health, let alone the

depressive dealings with a slowing mind from getting older... just hang in there.

I'll check out the prog link from Gizmo's... thanks for that.

Yes, Brink is a wizard, without doubt. He was kind enough to oblige me on a couple of occasions directly

whilst jammed up- back when I first went with Win 7, typical new system anomalies. I jumped on Win 7

late in the game, and am about to use this machine as a spring board to leap to 10...at least get Pro on a

disk under this machines COA key, get it all tuned in and build a new machine around it. Hopefully!

A bit of a rant: This OEM machine is built on an mATX platform; i-7 Haswell, etc. I'm running HD4600

graphics, had went out and purchased a new Corsair 750w PSU and a 4GB DDR5 GPU. The issue is that

it's going to require some creativity to shoehorn all of that into this case!

Perhaps the Dremel Moto Tool will come into play... more

OK, thanks for listening to that bit of side bar ranting...

Let me take a look at that SSD Optimizing tutorial here- I may have already done that... I know I did

implement this one- 10 Tips for SSD Optimization SSD in Windows 7 - Part 1 (3 parts)

In the beginning of my SSD experience, we used MiniTool Partition Wizard to set the drive up. Nice, easy,

and intuitive lil' program.

Of further note, using MyDefrag (with script for flash memory disks setting) noticeably improved boot

time and the drive 'feels' more seamless and smoother, even quicker. This is an excellent thread that the

other John provided on the SSD Defrag debate- there's a couple of Brink caliber geniuses there that have

it all figured out, it seems-

Yes, file system fragmentation DOES affect SSD read speed

Well, coffee's done been brewed, so time to fuel up and launch... TTYL, and be well, John.

Kind Regards-

tim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2017   #17
timw128

Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
John...
Here's some gadgetry you may be interested in, if you're not already aware of... CrystalDiskMark probably so,

as you've mentioned CrystalDiskInfo before-

Download Center - Crystal Dew World

Best SSD 2016 - 162 Charts - UserBenchmark

The Samsung's dominate at the latter link.

tim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2017   #18
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I have read all the posts but I may have missed some things.

I know of know manufacture that wants or recommends their SSD's defragged.

So you know where I'm coming from. I have only owned and used one Samsung SSD. (EVO 500 GB) I use Magician on the SSD and it stopped working.

I RMA the SSD and got a return one back. I gave it away. I don't need the head aches.

Magician does many strange things to Samsung SSD's.
So using my short life with Samsung SSD's as a example, I recommend not using Magician.

Jack

PS:
I did try a while back a defrag on a Intel SSD just to see if any good came of it.
It was a waste of time and wear and tear on the SSD. The SSD shows no signs of damage in any way. But that is a lot of read/wrights for no good reason.
I use several SSD's. I use them just like I would a hard drive except no defrag. I just use them and don't worry about them.
If they die they die. If it's under 5 years, I can RMA them.

Jack
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2017   #19
timw128

Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I have read all the posts but I may have missed some things.

I know of know manufacture that wants or recommends their SSD's defragged.

So you know where I'm coming from. I have only owned and used one Samsung SSD. (EVO 500 GB) I use Magician on the SSD and it stopped working.

I RMA the SSD and got a return one back. I gave it away. I don't need the head aches.

Magician does many strange things to Samsung SSD's.
So using my short life with Samsung SSD's as a example, I recommend not using Magician.

Jack

PS:
I did try a while back a defrag on a Intel SSD just to see if any good came of it.
It was a waste of time and wear and tear on the SSD. The SSD shows no signs of damage in any way. But that is a lot of read/wrights for no good reason.
I use several SSD's. I use them just like I would a hard drive except no defrag. I just use them and don't worry about them.
If they die they die. If it's under 5 years, I can RMA them.

Jack
Hi Jack, and thanks for weighing in.

Yes, I've come to the same conclusion regarding Magician. I've talked to Samsung and they'll RMA the

drive.

There's some interesting info out there regarding SSD defrag. I'll not bore you with repetition, but the

links are provided above. The MyDefrag prog helped my drive immensely. It's all about File System

fragments, not the drive itself. MyDefrag's algorithm for flash memory disk script avoids excessive writes.

Knock on wood, but my 850 PRO is working as good now as when it was new, even with over 3500GB

of data written to it over the last year and a half.

Again, thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2017   #20
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Hmm well this has been quite informative because I would never have been game to defrag a SSD. The Samsungs I have bought have never been much trouble excepting that one time the software stopped my Ivy B USB ports from working and hence why I have never used it since.

Right now I am waiting to trial a couple of Crucial MX 300's as the read/write rate is not far behind the Samsung readings although I guess we all assume that the figures they put out are correct and I don't have any special devices like a techies bench top tool to run such tests.

My next build and probably my last because everything has got so over priced out here and limited to a lot of the Z270 chipset stuff is going to be Skylake based because of the apparent collusion between Intel and Microsoft to make Kabylake only 10 supportable.

But anyway as soon as I get back home and run those drives I shall post back how they perform as best I can do at least.

Thanks for the links Tim and Jack I think maybe the Samsungs you used nay have been the older 830?? it was a bit of a slug to be honest the 840 and 850 are pretty darn good.
John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Anomalies




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Live Mail Anomalies
Hi: Reason I'm here via CNET is because I could not register for Win 7 Microsoft Mail assistance at their webpages - which are mostly inaccessible at times. Either "not found" or "Reload" or "3 day old caches"??? I used up the 5X for trying to join Win 7 Forums. Live Mail Anomalies 1. I...
Browsers & Mail
Samsung 840 PRO 256GB Black Friday Pricing?
Any guesses on what the Samsung 840 PRO 256GB SSD will be priced at, on or around Black Friday?
Chillout Room
SSD - Plextor or Samsung (256GB)
Am torn between the Plextor PX-256M5S 256GB SSD and the Samsung 830 Series 256GB the Samsung is only $26 more than the Plextor but am really curious as to the Plextor performance v the Samsung. I have got the 120GB Samsung already in two machines and know they are good but the price of the...
Hardware & Devices
Printer Anomalies
I have three printers. 1. Samsung ML-2010 (B&W), 2. Epson Stylus Photo PX650, 3. HP Color Laserjet 1600. When trying to Print a Spreadsheet from Excel The Samsung prints without any problem. The Epson takes Four and a Half Minutes to produce a print. The HP tells me "Current Printer is...
Hardware & Devices
Color and pixel anomalies
I have an NVIDIA graphics card,and 5 minutes before while playing gta 4,first something like negative of the picture came and than again the same,and after that comes the strong pixel distortion,pixels are diferent colored than they should be..anyone knows something?
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App