Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Pendrive folders are inaccessible/not showing

4 Weeks Ago   #1
WalkD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Pendrive folders are inaccessible/not showing

Hi, this is very weird, an I've never seen this before.. but today I was working on a .psd file that was in my pendrive. I finished working on it, saved the changes, and took the pendrive to school. But when I opened the pendrive at school, 2 folders were missing (one being the one the .psd file was in).

The pendrive is not corrupted though.. ..running Recuva doesn't even shows traces of this folder's contents, what is very weird ...(it's like Recuva thinks the folders were never erased at all, or like they never existed..).

I've tried this unhide command:
Code:
Click "Start" Menu > "Run" > type "cmd" > type "attrib -h -r -s /s /d h:\*.* "
and all it did was show the "System Volume Information" foder..

But then I verified the Pendrive's used space, and compared with the size of the files shown inside of it:



so it seems the hidden folders are still there...somewhere ..I just need to enable them somehow. Hope someone here has an idea for helping me with it. Thank you


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
4 Weeks Ago   #2
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

It may be hidden.
Open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Folder Options
On View tab
- Hidden files and folders - Show Hidden files and folders

On Explorer, right click on the column (Name, Date, Type, etc) and choose to show Attributes

As I have seen this happening due to virus, scan your drives with an antivirus.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
4 Weeks Ago   #3
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

What Megahertz07 said above is a conventional solution. If that does not work:

Is it a virus affliction? If so why only two folders got hidden? I have no answer. I don't even know what is .psd file. Well, I see that it Adobe photoshop file ( learnt )

Leaving aside the research on the file format and whether it is due to a virus infliction, try this.

Download and install your Windows bit version of WinRAR.

Run WinRAR and navigate to your pendrive in it. It should show all your folders and files in the pendrive. That includes even superhidden folders/files that wouldn't show anywhere else. If those folders really do exist on your pendrive, those will definitely show up in WinRAR.

Open the folder and you should see the files in it. Open the .psd file and then save it to a different location. Check whether you can open the file saved in the different location. Once you have saved all the files in those two folders to a different location and convinced everything is beautiful, go to WinRAR again, right click on those two folders and in the Menu > Delete files.

Let me know whether this worked. For now it is only my thought process .

Of course, you have to run a virus check later to make sure you have no virus.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

4 Weeks Ago   #4
TechnoMage2016

Windows 7 Ultimate, SP1, x86
 
 

Look in your computer, (search) to see if maybe that file/folder got saved somewhere other than the Pendrive.

Stuff happens! And over the past 37 years, I can't tell you how many times I thought I'd saved a file to one location and later found out that it went somewhere else. Arggg!

Sometimes it may seem like the computer has a mind of its own, and does what IT wants and not what you want.

just a thought

TechnoMage
My System SpecsSystem Spec
4 Weeks Ago   #5
WalkD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Thank you all for the replies
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
It may be hidden.
Open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Folder Options
On View tab
- Hidden files and folders - Show Hidden files and folders

On Explorer, right click on the column (Name, Date, Type, etc) and choose to show Attributes

As I have seen this happening due to virus, scan your drives with an antivirus.
Did that, but had no luck. Only the previous displayed files were shown. I checked for virus and spyware, and nothing was infecting the pc.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Run WinRAR and navigate to your pendrive in it. It should show all your folders and files in the pendrive. That includes even superhidden folders/files that wouldn't show anywhere else. If those folders really do exist on your pendrive, those will definitely show up in WinRAR.
Let me know whether this worked. For now it is only my thought process
Tried that with no luck again. Winrar doesn't shows any new file or folder

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TechnoMage2016 View Post
Look in your computer, (search) to see if maybe that file/folder got saved somewhere other than the Pendrive.

Stuff happens! And over the past 37 years, I can't tell you how many times I thought I'd saved a file to one location and later found out that it went somewhere else. Arggg!
Good thought. I thought about that the moment I was back home actually. I searched everywhere with Everything (a search software that I recommend), but didn't had any luck finding the files or folders.. quite weird indeed.

Now after your replies, I'm thinking more strongly that, in this case, the sector of the pendrive (usb flash drive) got deeply frozen somehow. Like this specific chuck of the flash drive died or something.. ..maybe it's not a digital problem, but a physical malfunction?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
4 Weeks Ago   #6
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

I recently bought a USB flash drive that was defective.
My suggestion is that you format your drive and then test it with H2testw.
It will write and read till the drive is full.
H2testw Download
My System SpecsSystem Spec
4 Weeks Ago   #7
WalkD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
I recently bought a USB flash drive that was defective.
My suggestion is that you format your drive and then test it with H2testw.
It will write and read till the drive is full.
H2testw Download
Yup, I think that's what is left to do now.
The situation was different to me cause the flash drive didn't show any obvious sign of defect or corruption..

Thank you, I'll download H2testw and do that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
4 Weeks Ago   #8
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

There are many fake drives around the corner. I once had a 64G Pendrive. On Explorer it showed as 64G but was in fact 4G.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
4 Weeks Ago   #9
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

When WinRAR does not show your two folders , it is absolutely certain that those folders do not exist. Folders getting lost surely is a pointer to a fake drive.

If it is a genuine drive ( I shall still give you the benefit of doubt) , go to the manufacturer's website and check whether there is any recovery software offered in Support and try that.

( You must always give full details of your pendrive, - manufacturer, Model, Capacity, whether it is a real branded pen drive or purchased cheaply from a footpath vendor, for how long you have been using etc., or else you are only taking us for a ride )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
4 Weeks Ago   #10
WalkD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
When WinRAR does not show your two folders , it is absolutely certain that those folders do not exist. Folders getting lost surely is a pointer to a fake drive.

If it is a genuine drive ( I shall still give you the benefit of doubt) , go to the manufacturer's website and check whether there is any recovery software offered in Support and try that.

( You must always give full details of your pendrive, - manufacturer, Model, Capacity, whether it is a real branded pen drive or purchased cheaply from a footpath vendor, for how long you have been using etc., or else you are only taking us for a ride )
Sorry, it's a Markvision USB2 16GB RB2.MV original USB drive. By what I saw from your responses, the issue may have come from it's age, since it's a reasonably old usb drive (around 6 years old I think). I'm considering this issue as a signal that it's time to retire this drive (even though it's working apparently normally, but without the 2 missing folders and some GBs).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Pendrive folders are inaccessible/not showing




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Folders icons showing/not showing content
Why is it that sometimes the folders icons show samples of their contents and sometimes not? Check the two images: the first shows Desktop in Windows Explorer; the second shows the desktop itself. Any idea on how to make Windows always show the folders contents samples? TIA.
General Discussion
Pendrive Inaccessible - Disk structure is corrupted or unreadable!
I download everything from the internet into my 32 GB HP Pendrive and also use it for Windows Ready Boost. But yesterday suddenly it gave the error message - G:\ is not accessible. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. I ran CHKDSK /r and the following is the output. The...
Hardware & Devices
Drives not showing, folders/file icons/thumbnails not showing
I have just built a new computer, using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, however, I've noticed when I open Windows explorer, 3 out of 4 times it will continuously search for drives when opening up explorer and not show any drives that are installed. I've tried reformatting, using different hard drives, but...
General Discussion
Folders not showing up
My issue is when I am clicking on a folder like My Computer it isn't showing up on my desktop as a window. But when you move over the folder icon in the taskbar it shows it down there and when I click on it it still doesn't show on the desktop... pleas help! I am an online student and cannot get my...
General Discussion
Unable to see Folders in Pendrive.
I am usubg Windows 7 home basic. I am trying to copy some folders from my pen drive to desktop. I have some problems while doing this task. 1.It ask permission each time while copying the folder. ( What settign have to made so it should not ask.) 2.from recent time I unbale to see...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:52.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App