Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hide Empty Drives Not Working After 2/13/18 Rollup Update

22 Feb 2018   #1
poolmon

win 7
 
 
Hide Empty Drives Not Working After 2/13/18 Rollup Update

I just installed the latest Monthly Rollup (Feb 2018) and now all my empty card reader drives show up in My Computer despite having them checked to be hidden under Folder Options.

I toggled Hide Empty Drives (off), toggled Show Hidden Files (off), and toggled Show All folders (on) but empty Drives now will not hide any more. I've run System File Checker and all is well.

The problem just surfaced after the update. Any ideas?


PROBLEM SOLVED.

I'll reply to my own post with the solution, since a Google search has shown others (both WIN7 & WIN10) with this issue (but not necessarily discovered after a recent update).

I happened to be watching during the Windows Update process and during the required reboot to install the updates a "DOS like" system file checker screen appeared about 30% into the install and ran a quick drive scan on a USB drive that I always leave plugged in to backup any recent changes I make in documents. After the file scan completed the DOS like screen closed (finding no errors on the USB) and remaining 70% of the Windows update installed.

I just now tried pulling out that affected USB drive, rebooting the computer and the hidden drive command began to work again. I re-plugged the USB drive back in rebooted another time and all remains well. If I weren't watching the screen I would have never identified the USB drive as a potential problem especially since it operated normally and gave no indication of hanging up the system.

Hope this might help someone who runs into the same issue, which from a Google search, I see others have had over the years.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
Reply

 Hide Empty Drives Not Working After 2/13/18 Rollup Update




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Drives - Hide or Show Empty Drives in Computer Folder
How to Hide or Show Empty Drives in Windows 7 and Windows 8 This tutorial will show you how to have empty removable drives to show or hide in the Computer or This PC folder in Windows 7 and Windows 8. If you want an empty CD/DVD drive to show in the navigation pane, you'll need to set...
Tutorials
Hide Empty Drive Not Working After 2/13/18 Rollup Update
Post Moved To General Discussion
Hardware & Devices
Can't hide empty card reader drive
I have never had an issue with this before but the card reader in my PC is now showing as an empty drive in explorer. I've had it for years and it has never been a problem. Toggling the 'Hide empty drives in the computer folder' option doesn't resolve the issue and neither does changing the same...
Hardware & Devices
Hide empty drives in the computer folder not working
I have four memory card readers integrated to my case. I use them seldom so it's great that they are invisible when nothing is plugged in. After my Windows downloaded some updates today and I rebooted they are all visible. "Hide empty drives in the computer folder" is ticked and so is "Don't show...
Hardware & Devices
Hide empty drives in the Computer folder
I originally wanted this disabled, so I unchecked the box and applied the changes so I could see all the drives. I have since realized I would rather NOT see the drives unless they are occupied with a device, but when I recheck the box and apply the settings, the drives are still there. I've tried...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35.
Twitter Facebook Google+