Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Mouse and keyboard freeze

2 Weeks Ago   #1
BernK

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 
Mouse and keyboard freeze

My first post to this site. Hope my PC specs are uploaded properly.


For about the past month or so the mouse (and keyboard) on my Dell laptop with Win 7 Professional freezes up sporadically (maybe about once an hour on average, although it can be shorter or longer). Then the only option is to turn off the computer with a hard shutdown (then on restart I pick “start windows normally”).
The main application in which this happens is Windows Live Mail 2012, but it also happens in Firefox. (but most time is spent in WLM, so….). Another observation is that while starting up after shutdown the cursor can be almost non responsive for a few minutes while all the startups are applied (the only startup programs enabled are Avira plus the normal display and system drivers from Microsoft, Dell and Intel).
Tried updating both the generic keyboard and mouse drivers, but the message is “best driver already installed”. The mouse driver has two drivers, C:\...\mouclass.sys and mouhid.sys. Both drivers have the same file name. version 6.1.7600 16385
Tried switching out mice- but two different mice both show the problem.
I have done multiple malware scans with different applications but nothing showed up- PC clean.
No other obvious problems with the operation of the PC.


????


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
2 Weeks Ago   #2
technomann

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BernK View Post
For about the past month or so the mouse (and keyboard) on my Dell laptop with Win 7 Professional freezes up sporadically (maybe about once an hour on average, although it can be shorter or longer). Then the only option is to turn off the computer with a hard shutdown (then on restart I pick “start windows normally”).
I am having the exact same problem. The computer has run fine for years, but now suddenly this. I have updated all of my drivers, run a complete system virus scan, and ran MemTest 86 to check for bad memory but nothing has helped so far. Most annoying!

Good luck in finding a solution!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
2 Weeks Ago   #3
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi BernK & technomann,

Have you installed any new software or updates recently that could have caused this.
Have you tried any restore points made prior to this happening?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

2 Weeks Ago   #4
BernK

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
Hi BernK & technomann,

HYave you installed any new software or updates recently that could have caused this.
Have you tried any restore points made prior to this happening?

Paul,


I've tried my oldest remaining restore point which is only about a month old- probably after it started happening. As expected it didn't work. I do have a system image that goes back about 9 months on my backup disk, but haven't tried this and don't know if I want to risk it.



I intend to try a system file check as in this old post regarding this problem
Keyboard and mouse freeze up intermittently


However, I was not able to launch the file checker- need to try again.


technomann, if you haven't tried this already, use a different mouse. This seemed to work for two older posts.


--BernK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
2 Weeks Ago   #5
BernK

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
Hi BernK & technomann,

HYave you installed any new software or updates recently that could have caused this.
Have you tried any restore points made prior to this happening?

Paul,


I've tried my oldest remaining restore point which is only about a month old- probably after it started happening. As expected it didn't work. I do have a system image that goes back about 9 months on my backup disk, but haven't tried this and don't know if I want to risk it.



I intend to try a system file check as in this old post regarding this problem
Keyboard and mouse freeze up intermittently


However, I was not able to launch the file checker- need to try again.


technomann, if you haven't tried this already, use a different mouse. This seemed to work for two older posts.


--BernK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
1 Week Ago   #6
johnhoh

Win7 pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BernK View Post
while starting up after shutdown the cursor can be almost non responsive for a few minutes while all the startups are applied
When startup time varies from short to very long, it usually means one of two things
1 - the hard drive is going bad intermittently
2 - some other piece of hardware is going bad intermittently forcing windows to struggle to load its driver at startup.

Assuming you do NOT have an SSD, my money is on the hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
1 Week Ago   #7
BernK

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnhoh View Post
When startup time varies from short to very long, it usually means one of two things
1 - the hard drive is going bad intermittently
2 - some other piece of hardware is going bad intermittently forcing windows to struggle to load its driver at startup.

Assuming you do NOT have an SSD, my money is on the hard drive.
________________________________________________________________________________



I DO have a SSD. But now that you mention it the CD drive keeps turning off and on. However, it seems to work fine. The system has passed Dell hardware checks for what it is worth.


Thanks for the suggestion.


My money is still on some problem with the mouse hardware/interface. Currently testing a possible solution - will post it if successful for extended period.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
1 Week Ago   #8
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Welcome to the Forum

- The USB ports on a Skylake computer is controlled by the chipset. My suggestion is to see if Intel has a updated driver.
Download Intel(R) Management Engine Driver for Windows 7*, 8.1*, and Windows(R) 10

Chipset
Download Chipset INF Utility
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList..._100series.zip

- Check your disk. Open a CMD window as admin and type:
chkdsk c: /f
It will say that the disk is in use and if you want do schedule to next start = yes

- Do a system file check. Open a CMD window as admin and type:
sfc /scannow
My System SpecsSystem Spec
1 Week Ago   #9
BernK

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
Welcome to the Forum

- The USB ports on a Skylake computer is controlled by the chipset. My suggestion is to see if Intel has a updated driver.
Download Intel(R) Management Engine Driver for Windows 7*, 8.1*, and Windows(R) 10

Chipset
Download Chipset INF Utility
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList..._100series.zip

- Check your disk. Open a CMD window as admin and type:
chkdsk c: /f
It will say that the disk is in use and if you want do schedule to next start = yes

- Do a system file check. Open a CMD window as admin and type:
sfc /scannow



Not sure if you are talking to me (original poster of cursor freeze) or another respondent. I have a Dell not Skylake.


However,, I did an sfc scan as you suggested. Results:


"Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"



But I have had some success in changing harware/environment.


1. Changed from one wired optical usb mouse to a different wired optical usb mouse. So, same driver (generic usb mouse). But the frequency of freezes was reduced- maybe to less than 1/2 as often.
2. Second change; my old mouse pad was a dark maroon desk pad. I started to use a white paper tablet instead. This resulted in a few very noticeable changes.
2a. The cursor seemed to follow my hand movement much better with less lag; think moving left and right fairly rapidly- with the old dark pad there was a little delay when changing from l to r. This was less with the white paper pad.
2b. The other change is that I went for almost a week so far without another cursor freeze.



My guess is that with the dark pad there was a lot of noise in the location data coming out of the mouse, and the process that uses that data to produce an on screen delay was not able to keep up properly. With the white pad the mouse data is much more clean and easier to process.


This still doesn't explain why I was able to operate for several years without a freeze using the dark pad. So I'm guessing that there is still something wrong with the mouse driver. But when I tried to look for a new driver I get the comment "you have the optimum driver".



As I just said, I did run a sfc and got a good integrity check.


So ???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
1 Week Ago   #10
johnhoh

Win7 pro x64
 
 

Think about all the plugs you use - your wall outlet, your 3.5mm headphones, your ethernet, your monitor, your usb - the usb connector is bat far the most fragile electrically, it has weakest squeezing together of male and female. The designers of USB knew this and tried to compensate for it by having an extra large surface area between male and female, which helps compensate. But over time, especially on a laptop where folks are plugging/unplugging into the us ports a lot, a degree of conductivity can be lost. Long story short, try a different usb port. I think you have two usb2 and one usb3 port to try on that machine. But if they all produce the same symptoms, you can rule out this theory.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Mouse and keyboard freeze




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Keyboard and mouse freeze up intermittently
Hello, I am helping somebody with this issue, which is a very odd issue. Her keyboard and mouse will both stop working at random times, there is no pattern to it, just complete random. I can connect to her machine remotely, and I am able to move the mouse, open new programs, and type, however she...
Hardware & Devices
Computer random freeze up -- could it be mouse/keyboard??
I have read dozens of threads now on the freeze up problem in Win 7 64 bit and tried everything. Updated most drivers, did memtest86 - 3 passes, no errors (even removed and reinstalled ram), checked temperatures, cleaned dust out of box, etc., etc. I finally gave up and in an attempt to resolve,...
General Discussion
USB Mouse and keyboard freeze simultaneously
The jist of the problem is as follows: Every now and then, my keyboard and mouse (USB) will both stop responding (my cursor just hangs there and I cannot control anything with the keyboard). The only remedy seems to be a hard reboot, holding the power button down. It can happen anywhere from once a...
Hardware & Devices
Mouse/Keyboard Freeze
Hi everyone, I hope you can help with this problem. My computer is less than a month old and the mouse and keyboard freeze approximately 10-15 minutes after start, regardless of what program I'm running. I have to do a hard reboot, but then the computer is fine for hours afterwards. ...
Hardware & Devices
mouse keyboard freeze during installation
Hi, I have a dell vostro 420, and I want to install windows 7 32bit home edition. I was running xp fine untill a while ago. I was having hard drive problems. I ended up getting a replacement hard drive, which is now in my PC. I tried to do a clean install of 7, but the mouse and keyboard froze...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41.
Twitter Facebook Google+