Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Upgrading.. what CPU?

02 Dec 2009   #1
dragotron

 
 
Upgrading.. what CPU?

Hi, well i'm finding this site has the most knowledgable and helpful people in many factors so wanted to ask this here...

I have an ASUS P5NE-SLI and in it a Core 2 Duo CPU e7200 2.53 ghz... I want to be able to run Zbrush well. It runs well right now but what would you think I should upgrade my CPU to?

Here's my MB and list of supported CPUs... ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Also, i'm runnin x64... should I upgrade my RAM from 4 gb to 8gb? Would all software benefit or only ones that are 64 bit?

thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Dec 2009   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

My offhand opinion:

You will be disappointed by any change to any supported processor. It may make a noticeable difference, but probably less than you had anticipated.

Better idea: don't upgrade the processor until you can afford to upgrade the motherboard as well and then migrate to either i5 or i7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #3
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I agree that I would not upgrade that until you can get to a corei5 or corei7.

As far as the RAM, you won't really notice much of a performance benefit from 4GB to 8GB...unless you are running apps which are really RAM intensive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Dec 2009   #4
Orpheous

XP Pro/Vista Ultimate (64)/Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition(64)
 
 

in the meantime, make sure ZBrush is configured for the best results with your system:
ZBrush Performance Tips -- Getting the Most from Your System
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #5
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
My offhand opinion:

You will be disappointed by any change to any supported processor. It may make a noticeable difference, but probably less than you had anticipated.

Better idea: don't upgrade the processor until you can afford to upgrade the motherboard as well and then migrate to either i5 or i7.
+1.

LGA775 has little to no upgrade path.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #6
dragotron

 
 

Thanks for the tips all...could you guys recommend a motherboard CPU combo maybe? something that i might get in a couple months? something affordable but still good? that I could use with my current ram?

Orpheous.. do you know if I have hyperthreading or if I have to enable it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #7
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Look out:

Your current mobo uses DDR 2 ram. The mobos for i5 and i7 use DDR 3. Another reason not to buy more RAM for your current machine--you can't transfer ram from it to an i5 or i7.

General advice:

Good mobo brands: MSI, Gigabyte, Intel, Asus

Good brands for RAM: Crucial, Corsair, Kingston

Socket 1156 motherboards are noticeably cheaper than socket 1366 motherboards.

i5 are entirely 1156

i7 can be either 1156 or 1366

For processors:

900 series will be i7, socket 1366
800 series will be i7, socket 1156
700 series will be i5, socket 1156
600 series will be i5, socket 1156
500 series will be i3, socket 1156

best bang for the buck: 700s and 800s.

You don't need high priced memory unless you are going to overclock, which most people don't do.

I don't think the E7200 supports hyperthreading.

The 800 series has hyperthreading and turbo.

The 700 series has turbo, no hyperthreading

The 600 series has hyperthreading and turbo

The 500 series has hyperthreading, no turbo

I think the 900 series has both HT and turbo

The 700, 800, and 900 are quad core

The 500 and 600 are dual core.

Quad isn't necessarily better, depending on what you do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #8
Orpheous

XP Pro/Vista Ultimate (64)/Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition(64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dragotron View Post
Thanks for the tips all...could you guys recommend a motherboard CPU combo maybe? something that i might get in a couple months? something affordable but still good? that I could use with my current ram?

Orpheous.. do you know if I have hyperthreading or if I have to enable it?
Hi dragotron, the e7200 unfortunately doesn't have hyperthreading enabled...

If I were in the market for a new mobo, cpu & ram, while keeping the costs down to a reasonable price I'd probably seriously look at something like a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R ($150), Core i5 750 ($235) & Geil 4Gb DDR3 1600 CL7 ($155). These prices are current Australian pricing, and I've chosen them as bang for buck, it's about the best available here. I'd also choose this mobo/cpu combo as it has much room for upgrades (cpu/ram/pci-e). With this combo, you'd also need a pci-e graphics card, but something basic would do unless you're playing games...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #9
dragotron

 
 

I think i'm going to take your advices and hold off on upgrading entirely for now.... and getting myself a new monitor. Since this one is craaaap. I'll be back. or just use the advice given if I upgrade sooner than later.

thanks!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orpheous View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dragotron View Post
Thanks for the tips all...could you guys recommend a motherboard CPU combo maybe? something that i might get in a couple months? something affordable but still good? that I could use with my current ram?

Orpheous.. do you know if I have hyperthreading or if I have to enable it?
Hi dragotron, the e7200 unfortunately doesn't have hyperthreading enabled...

If I were in the market for a new mobo, cpu & ram, while keeping the costs down to a reasonable price I'd probably seriously look at something like a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R ($150), Core i5 750 ($235) & Geil 4Gb DDR3 1600 CL7 ($155). These prices are current Australian pricing, and I've chosen them as bang for buck, it's about the best available here. I'd also choose this mobo/cpu combo as it has much room for upgrades (cpu/ram/pci-e). With this combo, you'd also need a pci-e graphics card, but something basic would do unless you're playing games...
Thanks i'll keep those in mind when i upgrade!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #10
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Upgrading.. what CPU?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
When upgrading from XP to Win 7
Hi, I currently have a company laptop with *gulp* windows XP. I have administrator access to install programs, but I would need admin network login rights to add a computer to a domain. My question is, if I was to upgrade from win XP to win7, would all the network configurations remain, inc....
Installation & Setup
upgrading need help
i want to buy a Intel i5 2500k and ram GSkill 4GB (2x2GB) now can i upgrade to Intel i7 2600k core &RAM 8GB (2x4GB) later on down the line? and for that matter the mb and VGA? thank you
Hardware & Devices
Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit
Since I stumbled upon the fact that I had 4 gigabytes of RAM, I want to switch over to the 64-bit version of win7. However I've got a large amount of media files I don't want to delete (these are all stored on a separate partition on my HD). My question is, can I avoid deleting this partition...
Installation & Setup
Upgrading from XP
As previously announced, Laplink has released a new version of their previous PC Mover product that allows for in-place upgrades from XP to Windows 7. Yeah, I know we generally advise AGAINST this, but for the adventurous, this might be worth trying. The link to their site follows: ...
Installation & Setup
W7 Upgrading CD
I am supposed to receive the W7 upgrade CD today!!!!!!!!:huh: I understand that when I run the upgrade that Vista will be removed and everything will be wonderful.:D:D I have a backup of Vista.:sarc::sarc: Since I will receive a license with the upgrade and if for some unknown phenominum I...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App