Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Webcam issue: usbvideo.sys ?

24 Dec 2009   #1
Teppo

Windows 7
 
 
Webcam issue: usbvideo.sys ?

I am running Win 7 RC release. I cannot get any webcams (have tried 3 ) to work properly. In each case the webcam is recognized, latest drivers installed, and all looks well in device manager. In any app using the webcam (live messenger, skype, yahoo messenger etc.) I get the "cannot connect to webcam, already in use" type of message.

I have tried everything -bios upgrade, different cams, different driver versions etc. I am 100% certain that this in an OS issue.

What I do see is that the usbvideo.sys system driver is not running (listed as stopped) - on all my other systems (XP and Vista) it is listed as running. Start mode is set as manual. I am pretty certain this is the issue. What do I need to do to fix this? Is there a way to reinstall usbvideo from the install cd or from a MS download?

Thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Dec 2009   #2
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Teppo View Post
I am running Win 7 RC release. I cannot get any webcams (have tried 3 ) to work properly. In each case the webcam is recognized, latest drivers installed, and all looks well in device manager. In any app using the webcam (live messenger, skype, yahoo messenger etc.) I get the "cannot connect to webcam, already in use" type of message.

I have tried everything -bios upgrade, different cams, different driver versions etc. I am 100% certain that this in an OS issue.

What I do see is that the usbvideo.sys system driver is not running (listed as stopped) - on all my other systems (XP and Vista) it is listed as running. Start mode is set as manual. I am pretty certain this is the issue. What do I need to do to fix this? Is there a way to reinstall usbvideo from the install cd or from a MS download?

Thanks in advance.
Try setting it to AUTOMATIC. See if that helps. If you set it to MANUAL, some programs don't have specific functions to call the service to start up. It's a long shot but give it a try and see if that works. Of course restart the computer after changing to make sure the effect sticks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #3
Teppo

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Teppo View Post
I am running Win 7 RC release. I cannot get any webcams (have tried 3 ) to work properly. In each case the webcam is recognized, latest drivers installed, and all looks well in device manager. In any app using the webcam (live messenger, skype, yahoo messenger etc.) I get the "cannot connect to webcam, already in use" type of message.

I have tried everything -bios upgrade, different cams, different driver versions etc. I am 100% certain that this in an OS issue.

What I do see is that the usbvideo.sys system driver is not running (listed as stopped) - on all my other systems (XP and Vista) it is listed as running. Start mode is set as manual. I am pretty certain this is the issue. What do I need to do to fix this? Is there a way to reinstall usbvideo from the install cd or from a MS download?

Thanks in advance.
Try setting it to AUTOMATIC. See if that helps. If you set it to MANUAL, some programs don't have specific functions to call the service to start up. It's a long shot but give it a try and see if that works. Of course restart the computer after changing to make sure the effect sticks.
I am not sure how to set it to "automatic" or how to even manually start it. If it were a service it would be simple, but this is listed in the "System Information" app as a "system driver." I thought maybe there was a service that controls this, but I have looked through each one and do not see one that would appear to control this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Dec 2009   #4
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Teppo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Teppo View Post
I am running Win 7 RC release. I cannot get any webcams (have tried 3 ) to work properly. In each case the webcam is recognized, latest drivers installed, and all looks well in device manager. In any app using the webcam (live messenger, skype, yahoo messenger etc.) I get the "cannot connect to webcam, already in use" type of message.

I have tried everything -bios upgrade, different cams, different driver versions etc. I am 100% certain that this in an OS issue.

What I do see is that the usbvideo.sys system driver is not running (listed as stopped) - on all my other systems (XP and Vista) it is listed as running. Start mode is set as manual. I am pretty certain this is the issue. What do I need to do to fix this? Is there a way to reinstall usbvideo from the install cd or from a MS download?

Thanks in advance.
Try setting it to AUTOMATIC. See if that helps. If you set it to MANUAL, some programs don't have specific functions to call the service to start up. It's a long shot but give it a try and see if that works. Of course restart the computer after changing to make sure the effect sticks.
I am not sure how to set it to "automatic" or how to even manually start it. If it were a service it would be simple, but this is listed in the "System Information" app as a "system driver." I thought maybe there was a service that controls this, but I have looked through each one and do not see one that would appear to control this.
Sorry about that, I was thinking for whatever reason it was service. My bad!

Do you have a built-in webcam? If so try disabling that in the Device Manager and restarting the computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #5
Teppo

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Teppo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post

Try setting it to AUTOMATIC. See if that helps. If you set it to MANUAL, some programs don't have specific functions to call the service to start up. It's a long shot but give it a try and see if that works. Of course restart the computer after changing to make sure the effect sticks.
I am not sure how to set it to "automatic" or how to even manually start it. If it were a service it would be simple, but this is listed in the "System Information" app as a "system driver." I thought maybe there was a service that controls this, but I have looked through each one and do not see one that would appear to control this.
Sorry about that, I was thinking for whatever reason it was service. My bad!

Do you have a built-in webcam? If so try disabling that in the Device Manager and restarting the computer.
No built in cams - have tried three different cams all of which work on other systems.

I am almost certain the is an issue with usbvideo.sys....something is not right with it...not sure how to fix though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #6
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Try running sfc /scannow and see if it comes up with any issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #7
Teppo

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
Try running sfc /scannow and see if it comes up with any issues.
No issues reported from sfc /sannow
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #8
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

This is a known compatibility problem with Windows 7 ... You might try installing the cam in windows xp mode...

source
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #9
Teppo

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
This is a known compatibility problem with Windows 7 ... You might try installing the cam in windows xp mode...

source
There is no real install - it just uses usbvideo.sys as its driver. Not sure how I could implement compatability mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Webcam issue: usbvideo.sys ?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Issue with Webcam
I have a pretty old webcam, PCLine P13GWCB09, which has just randomly stopped working. It appears in devices & printers, appears in the device manager, says nothing is wrong if I try to troubleshoot it, says it successfully installs drivers; and yet if I use it with any kind of video program, the...
Hardware & Devices
need help with my webcam issue!
since installing win.7 pro. my webcam stopped working. what can i do?
Hardware & Devices
BSOD - usbvideo.sys
I receive the following error about every 3 to 4 days. It happens only on startup just after the desktop is displayed. It is intermittant as it doesn't always happen when I turn on the computer. Here is a copy of the dump file. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Thanks.
BSOD Help and Support
Webcam issue
i installed a4tech pk-635k in windows 7 then i seen black screen on the cam so what im gonna do to make things clear? please help...... thanks ang God bless U all
Hardware & Devices
Webcam issue
Hi, Trying to install a Microsoft Webcam VX-3000 (new) on my Windows 7 Ultimate machine. The PC is an Intel dual-core with 4G RAM. The installation CD downloads the latest driver for Windows 7, and everything proceeds smoothly until it asks me to plug in the camera. After plugging it in, the...
Hardware & Devices
webcam issue, HP dv6-1323tx
Hi there, having problems with my laptop HP dv6-1323tx running windows 7, have only owned this computer for 2 weeks, webcam wont work, at first it was working, everytime i want to run the program it says: No video device detected. Please plug a video device into your computer. If you are using...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:17.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App