Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 'Destroying' DVD-R

24 Dec 2009   #1
Exodus

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
'Destroying' DVD-R

Hey guys,

I just put some data onto 2 DVD-Rs, being stupid I forgot to password protect the files and encrypt the file name so if anyone got hold of these DVDs now theyd have access to all the files on there.
So I was wondering if theres a way to get rid of the data on there? Theyre not re-writable, im aware of that but is there program that like ruins all the data on there so that it cant be accessed? Or even password protect the whole DVD itself?

If not, about physically destroying it? I dont have access to a shredder, so what other options are available? I was thinking about getting a pair of compasses and scratching the top so it wont be able to be read, but any other ideas?

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Dec 2009   #2
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Hey guys,

I just put some data onto 2 DVD-Rs, being stupid I forgot to password protect the files and encrypt the file name so if anyone got hold of these DVDs now theyd have access to all the files on there.
So I was wondering if theres a way to get rid of the data on there? Theyre not re-writable, im aware of that but is there program that like ruins all the data on there so that it cant be accessed? Or even password protect the whole DVD itself?

If not, about physically destroying it? I dont have access to a shredder, so what other options are available? I was thinking about getting a pair of compasses and scratching the top so it wont be able to be read, but any other ideas?

Thanks
Burn it.
Format it,should work.
Go to my computer with the cd in the drive,right click,format.

Whats so important anyway? i joke lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #3
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Hey guys,

I just put some data onto 2 DVD-Rs, being stupid I forgot to password protect the files and encrypt the file name so if anyone got hold of these DVDs now theyd have access to all the files on there.
So I was wondering if theres a way to get rid of the data on there? Theyre not re-writable, im aware of that but is there program that like ruins all the data on there so that it cant be accessed? Or even password protect the whole DVD itself?

If not, about physically destroying it? I dont have access to a shredder, so what other options are available? I was thinking about getting a pair of compasses and scratching the top so it wont be able to be read, but any other ideas?

Thanks
Burn it.
Format it,should work.
Go to my computer with the cd in the drive,right click,format.

Whats so important anyway? i joke lol
I do not know how important the information is, but format may not be the final asnwer. Try a zero format, that should do it.

here is good information. By the way when I went for the information, its format zero not the other way.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hard...zero-fill.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Dec 2009   #4
Exodus

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks for your quick replies, will this method work even though theyre DVD-Rs and theyre not re-writable?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #5
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Thanks for your quick replies, will this method work even though theyre DVD-Rs and theyre not re-writable?
Good point, did not think of that angle. But very easy to find out, just install in drive and try to format.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #6
PooMan UK

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Use the microwave ..... (and it looks cool when your doing it)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #7
Exodus

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

The disc cant be formatted as I expected. So any other ideas?

Oh and putting it in the microwave, does it ruin the microwave ahaha?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #8
PooMan UK

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Well the microwave isn't the best solution, but when I tried it ... it worked, and the microwave is still cooking

But if your mum is gonna give you a hard time ... best that you jump up and down on them a bit then take a hammer to them
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #9
ccatlett1984

 

scratching the top of the disc (label side) until the foil starts coming off will make them completely useless.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #10
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ccatlett1984 View Post
scratching the top of the disc (label side) until the foil starts coming off will make them completely useless.
That only works for CDs. DVDs are different, the actual dips and bumps are sandwich between the top and bottom plates. And the only way to secure your data on the DVD is to destroy it physically.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 'Destroying' DVD-R




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Mal- Ware destroying Start Windows in Safe Mode
Fellow nerds of the Internet! Hear my plea!!! Recently my computer was attacked by an especially powerful mal-ware program. I was browsing the Internet, and than suddenly a large white document with no means of exiting <ctrl alt delete does not work, and there is no X to close it>...
System Security
Completely destroying items long after deletion
I know there are programs out there that can shred files when deleted, unlike sending them directly to the recycling bin. Are there any programs that can shred files sent to the recycling bin even after the recycling bin is empty ? I'm referring to files deleted in the past, we know that those...
Software
Windows 7 Problem after destroying a wrong file
Ok, I am new to this forum and might be on the wrong section of the site, and if so, moderators can move this to approriate place. So, yesterday after I had to reinstall steam, was overthinking and didnt go to control panel to uninstall it so, I googled, Steam Reinstall and went to the site...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App