Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Solid State Drives

05 Jan 2010   #31
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

IceFire, I was not aware that we are talking about a netbook (or laptop) with an Atom processor. That obviously puts major constraints on the overall performance of your system. The SSD will probably still help to boost it, but do not expect wonders.
I am not familiar with the Intel SSD that you linked. The main question here would be whether it has a firmware that supports Trim (which I doubt) and whether you will be running Windows7. Since this would be your only disk, Trim is more importent because you would do a lot of write operations on the disk. The way that Wishmaster and myself are using the SSD, that is not the case because we move our own data to an HDD. And in my case I know that even the system hardly ever writes to the SSD because I have plenty of RAM and my hard faults (page faults) are practically always zero. Maybe you can find some more information about this SSD and then we can take a look at it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Jan 2010   #32
krazdkiller

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I have 2 SSDs (for 2 different systems) - one Intel 80GB and one OCZ 60GB. In my book there is nothing that can speed up your system as much as an SSD for the same amount of Dollars. The OCZ Vertex 30GB was on sale at Newegg for $99. That is a wonderful disk and completely sufficient for the Windows7 OS. Just put your data on the HDD.
Win7 supports Trim and also a few tweaks like alignment and service disabling (e.g. superfetch). So you really need not do much tweaking yourself. I would not want to go back to HDDs for the OS.
unlike in 98, 98se, 98me, xp, vista in 7 for some reason when you change the default path to another drive in stead of c for users, program files, and program data 7 still puts a exact copy on c. in vista i had my 64gig ssd as c and through the os set it up to to install my programs, user files and the page file to d. to test it i would install all the apps i wanted then check the programs file folders size on both c and d. c would be around 400mb to 1gig and d at least 30gigs telling me that the redirect worked. now in 7 when i check both program files folders they are the same size. this tells me that for some reason 7 is making copies of everything that should be going to the programs file folder on d to the programs file folder on c. this is why i recommend a 60gig drive or above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #33
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by krazdkiller View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I have 2 SSDs (for 2 different systems) - one Intel 80GB and one OCZ 60GB. In my book there is nothing that can speed up your system as much as an SSD for the same amount of Dollars. The OCZ Vertex 30GB was on sale at Newegg for $99. That is a wonderful disk and completely sufficient for the Windows7 OS. Just put your data on the HDD.
Win7 supports Trim and also a few tweaks like alignment and service disabling (e.g. superfetch). So you really need not do much tweaking yourself. I would not want to go back to HDDs for the OS.
unlike in 98, 98se, 98me, xp, vista in 7 for some reason when you change the default path to another drive in stead of c for users, program files, and program data 7 still puts a exact copy on c. in vista i had my 64gig ssd as c and through the os set it up to to install my programs, user files and the page file to d. to test it i would install all the apps i wanted then check the programs file folders size on both c and d. c would be around 400mb to 1gig and d at least 30gigs telling me that the redirect worked. now in 7 when i check both program files folders they are the same size. this tells me that for some reason 7 is making copies of everything that should be going to the programs file folder on d to the programs file folder on c. this is why i recommend a 60gig drive or above.
Hmm, that's interesting. I never moved the Program files folder to another drive - just my user folders. But even with the program files folders on the SSD, my Windows 7 is only 15.5GB (13GB respectively on another system) with a good selection of programs that I installed (over 11.000 files in the program files folder). The programs are usually not that big - about 2GB for the whole folder in my cases.

Here is what WinDirStat says for the SSD on this system:

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jan 2010   #34
krazdkiller

 

this is what i currently get. the user file is actually 10.7gigs not 83.2gigs once i file away everything in one folder on the desktop.


Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Drives-windirstat-view.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #35
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

That's a LOT of program files. I probably would not know what to do with all those programs - LOL. I uninstall all programs that I do not use, especially all the junk that comes with the system (.eg. all the HP or Dell help stuff, works, etc.).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #36
krazdkiller

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
That's a LOT of program files. I probably would not know what to do with all those programs - LOL. I uninstall all programs that I do not use, especially all the junk that comes with the system (.eg. all the HP or Dell help stuff, works, etc.).

not really not when you consider the size of some programs. i build my own systems and i do disable or set a lot of services to manual. after building my first system under win 95 i would never own a prebuilt again, with the exception of a laptop. even then i would remove everything including the hidden partitions from the maker and do a clean install of 7. my concern is the user file compared to yours.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #37
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

in "Users", you probably have all your own files whilst I moved mine to a seperate partition. Only AppData has the usual stuff in it. If you moved yours too, tell me how you did that. Maybe you used the wrong method.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #38
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

To the OP:

I you haven't read this yet, things are changing in SSDs....right now you need to go with Intel or an Indilinx controlled SSD. Now there are "SandForce" controllers. These are fast becoming the best. Even to Intel's standards. I would read this and Anand's other articles. You will learn more than you could ever imagine.

AnandTech: OCZ's Vertex 2 Pro Preview: The Fastest MLC SSD We've Ever Tested
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #39
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
To the OP:

I you haven't read this yet, things are changing in SSDs....right now you need to go with Intel or an Indilinx controlled SSD. Now there are "SandForce" controllers. These are fast becoming the best. Even to Intel's standards. I would read this and Anand's other articles. You will learn more than you could ever imagine.

AnandTech: OCZ's Vertex 2 Pro Preview: The Fastest MLC SSD We've Ever Tested

Thanks for the link. I read Anand's articles regularly but i guess with the holidays I missed that one. Things seem to be moving into the right direction.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #40
FuturDreamz

Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
IceFire, I was not aware that we are talking about a netbook (or laptop) with an Atom processor. That obviously puts major constraints on the overall performance of your system. The SSD will probably still help to boost it, but do not expect wonders.
I am not familiar with the Intel SSD that you linked. The main question here would be whether it has a firmware that supports Trim (which I doubt) and whether you will be running Windows7. Since this would be your only disk, Trim is more importent because you would do a lot of write operations on the disk. The way that Wishmaster and myself are using the SSD, that is not the case because we move our own data to an HDD. And in my case I know that even the system hardly ever writes to the SSD because I have plenty of RAM and my hard faults (page faults) are practically always zero. Maybe you can find some more information about this SSD and then we can take a look at it.
Yeah as far as i can tell none of the drives support TRIM. but the Kingston, which is also the cheapest, is capable of supporting it in the hardware. unfortunately the firmware currently doesn't support TRIM and it seems like Kingston is dragging their heels in enabling it. Shame because it has a really good rating and I'm pretty sure the bad reviews are because of the lack of TRIM support or the user configured their OS wrong.
Although I'll still wait and see if anything better comes into that price range, because I don't think kingston will enable TRIM for that drive.
However, because i don't believe I will go over 40gb on that drive, I could probably just download an app that cleans the drive once a month or so.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Solid State Drives




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Mac, PC solid state drives arenít compatible
Read more at: Mac, PC solid state drives aren’t compatible | ZDNet
News
Defragging Solid State Drives?
This isn't recommended, I know. But would it serve any purpose at all? As far as I understand the matter, aside from the wear and tear issue, whether an SDD is 0% fragmented or 100% fragmented makes no difference to the performance, due to the way the information is read from the disc. Is that so?...
Hardware & Devices
Flash and Solid State Drives: Facts and Forecasts
This is an interesting article, a bit in depth and long, but interesting non the less. I put the conclusion here for those that don't want to read the six page article. More...
Hardware & Devices
Solid state drives
hi all:D i am thinking of using a solid state drive for the operating system and would be grateful for any advice can i keep the drive i have now with win 7 home premium, and install another windows 7 (like ultimate): on the solid state drive??
Hardware & Devices
Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives
More...
News
Solid state drives. Worth it?
I'm thinking of using a ssd for my windows 7 build early next year. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on them. Ocz do some good value drives but I've heard their write speeds are painfully slow
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App