Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Upgrading My PC

13 Jan 2010   #1
like a ninja

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 
Upgrading My PC

Hey a guys i want to upgrade my PC what are some good specs ? i came up with only graphics cards 2x ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB in CrossFire what would be a good motherboard, CPU, Power Supply and RAM oh and a good PC Case that looks good. Im using this PC for gaming and video editing so if anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Jan 2010   #2
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Budget?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #3
krazdkiller

 

if gaming and video editing then i would go with the i7 920 intel processor. this will also future proof you, as the i9's when they are released will also be on the 1366 socket. as for the mobo it depends on what cards you have that would be being transferred. most people still have at least one pci card so need at least one pci slot plus the pci-e slots. the two manufactures i would recommend are asus and gigabyte. they can be a little pricier but they are the top rated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jan 2010   #4
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by like a ninja View Post
Hey a guys i want to upgrade my PC what are some good specs ? i came up with only graphics cards 2x ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB in CrossFire what would be a good motherboard, CPU, Power Supply and RAM oh and a good PC Case that looks good. Im using this PC for gaming and video editing so if anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks
I'd recommend using a single HD5850 over a pair of 5570s in Crossfire. I'm not sure of the performance difference in those games that support crossfire, but at first glance the single 5850 may be better. That's particularly true if you're running at high resolution: the 5850 has a 256 bit path to its RAM, while the 5770 is limited to 128 bits. Driver issues tend to be worse with dual GPUs: I abandoned a crossfire setup with a pair of 4870s after some frustrating experiences.

Not to boast, but see the system in my details. Mainboards based on the Intel X58 chipset often have 6 DIMM slots, supporting as much as 24 GB of RAM in triple channel mode. That may not help gaming much, but it may be good for video editing. (To exploit that, you'd need a 64 bit application. My only significant 64 bit application is Photoshop CS4.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #5
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

While I agree that a fast, single GPU setup is still the way to go right now, the Radeon HD 5770 scales unbelievable well.

According to most reviews out there, a setup of two Radeon HD 5770s in CrossFire comes close to a single Radeon HD 5870 performance wise.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #6
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cheeriokilla View Post
While I agree that a fast, single GPU setup is still the way to go right now, the Radeon HD 5770 scales unbelievable well.

According to most reviews out there, a setup of two Radeon HD 5770s in CrossFire comes close to a single Radeon HD 5870 performance wise.
Yes, but at www.newegg.com, two 1GB 5770s total about $300-330. A 5850 is $300. (The 5870, $400.) I can imagine going crossfire if you already had a single 5770, I wouldn't plan a new system that way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #7
like a ninja

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

I was looking at the Intel i7 920 today i think i found a CPU. I also was looking at a case today as well i found this case Rosewill DESTROYER i like the look of this case for the motherboard i was looking at a ASUS P6T-Deluxe it sounds like a good motherboard. i reall dont know what RAM to get as in what brand. I currently have 4GB's of G Skill RAM i would like at least 6 to 8 GB of RAM im still looking at video cards i have the PSU Coolermaster RealPower Pro 850 and i have the hard drives 2x 500GB Seagate SATA
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #8
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cheeriokilla View Post
While I agree that a fast, single GPU setup is still the way to go right now, the Radeon HD 5770 scales unbelievable well.

According to most reviews out there, a setup of two Radeon HD 5770s in CrossFire comes close to a single Radeon HD 5870 performance wise.
Yes, but at www.newegg.com, two 1GB 5770s total about $300-330. A 5850 is $300. (The 5870, $400.) I can imagine going crossfire if you already had a single 5770, I wouldn't plan a new system that way.
I don't know...

I might make an exception for the Radeon HD 5770. Like I said, It scales unbelievable well. Reaching Radeon HD 5870 performance levels, for ~$60 bucks less.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2010   #9
like a ninja

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

I also found more cases i was looking at the Antec Nine Hundred Newegg.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2010   #10
Bill

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by like a ninja View Post
I also found more cases i was looking at the Antec Nine Hundred Newegg.com
That's a nice case, I have it. Beware of certain problems with ATI drivers and Windows 7 64 bit... Might want to do some research on the exact card you're getting to make sure it's ok.

-Bill
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Upgrading My PC




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
When upgrading from XP to Win 7
Hi, I currently have a company laptop with *gulp* windows XP. I have administrator access to install programs, but I would need admin network login rights to add a computer to a domain. My question is, if I was to upgrade from win XP to win7, would all the network configurations remain, inc....
Installation & Setup
upgrading need help
i want to buy a Intel i5 2500k and ram GSkill 4GB (2x2GB) now can i upgrade to Intel i7 2600k core &RAM 8GB (2x4GB) later on down the line? and for that matter the mb and VGA? thank you
Hardware & Devices
Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit
Since I stumbled upon the fact that I had 4 gigabytes of RAM, I want to switch over to the 64-bit version of win7. However I've got a large amount of media files I don't want to delete (these are all stored on a separate partition on my HD). My question is, can I avoid deleting this partition...
Installation & Setup
Upgrading from XP
As previously announced, Laplink has released a new version of their previous PC Mover product that allows for in-place upgrades from XP to Windows 7. Yeah, I know we generally advise AGAINST this, but for the adventurous, this might be worth trying. The link to their site follows: ...
Installation & Setup
W7 Upgrading CD
I am supposed to receive the W7 upgrade CD today!!!!!!!!:huh: I understand that when I run the upgrade that Vista will be removed and everything will be wonderful.:D:D I have a backup of Vista.:sarc::sarc: Since I will receive a license with the upgrade and if for some unknown phenominum I...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:33.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App