Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 can't detect my external hard drive

14 Jan 2010   #11
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

You have tried assinging a letter via disc management?

If not,go to Control Panel (select small icons)
Then click Administrative Tools
From that new Windows click Computer Management
From the new Window click Disk Management
Try assinging a drive letter via right clicking the external HD and left click assign letter (of your choosing)

If this does not work,leave that page showing the disc's open.
Use the snipping tool (just type "snipping" into the search bar in the start menu)
Take a snip of the new window showing the hard drives.
Then upload it here as attachments by clicking reply (or quick reply>go advanced)
Under the page where you type it says Manage Attachments
Click that and upload your pic.

Dan


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Jan 2010   #12
Ray Chisk

Windows 7
 
 

Hi Dan,

I have tried all that with still no luck.
I have attached a screen print as advised.
I look forward to your response.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Ray Chisk


Attached Thumbnails
Windows 7 can't detect my external hard drive-disc-mgmt.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #13
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ray Chisk View Post
Hi Dan,

I have tried all that with still no luck.
I have attached a screen print as advised.
I look forward to your response.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Ray Chisk
Can you go to Control Panel>Small Icon View>Device Manager
Can you see your hard drive there under disc drives?
Or is there any Yellow Triangles ?
If there i can you post a screenshot?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jan 2010   #14
Ray Chisk

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ray Chisk View Post
Hi Dan,

I have tried all that with still no luck.
I have attached a screen print as advised.
I look forward to your response.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Ray Chisk
Can you go to Control Panel>Small Icon View>Device Manager
Can you see your hard drive there under disc drives?
Or is there any Yellow Triangles ?
If there i can you post a screenshot?
I have done as you said. I also tried it with my Western Digital HD too. See the two screenshots I've attached. One with the WD HD and the other with the FS HD.
As you can see it still doesn't show up.

Regards

Ray Chisk


Attached Thumbnails
Windows 7 can't detect my external hard drive-device-manager-fujitsu-siemens.png   Windows 7 can't detect my external hard drive-device-manager-west-digital-attached.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #15
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ray Chisk View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ray Chisk View Post
Hi Dan,

I have tried all that with still no luck.
I have attached a screen print as advised.
I look forward to your response.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Ray Chisk
Can you go to Control Panel>Small Icon View>Device Manager
Can you see your hard drive there under disc drives?
Or is there any Yellow Triangles ?
If there i can you post a screenshot?
I have done as you said. I also tried it with my Western Digital HD too. See the two screenshots I've attached. One with the WD HD and the other with the FS HD.
As you can see it still doesn't show up.

Regards

Ray Chisk
Sounds like a hardware problem so.
Can you get it replaced?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #16
surfasb

Windows 7
 
 

Yeah, my suspicions also.

The drive is FUBAR.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2010   #17
Ray Chisk

Windows 7
 
 

Thanks for your help guys.
All your help really appreciated
Back to Dabs it goes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 can't detect my external hard drive




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Computer doesn't detect external Hard Drive
I use 3 computers, in one that has Windows Seven and other Xp, the computer detects the external hard drive with no problem But in another Windows Seven pc, it doesn't detect it at all, the hard drive makes a clicking sound and nothing else So, what can it be?, I even connect it to a TV...
Hardware & Devices
My Computer cannot detect my Seagate external hard drive 3TB
Hi guys, I've had this 3TB hard drive for about 6 months with no problems. However, for some reason my computer cannot recognise it any more. It doesn't come up in My Computer, but it comes up in device manager ( see pic 1) and in disk management (see pic 2) Alarmingly, I can't even...
Hardware & Devices
windows 7 cant detect external hard drive
hello, im new here. ive a problem with my external hard disk. im using 64-bit windows 7 ultimate. and i have a imation hard disk (i dont remember any details about it tho). i still can hear the normal sound it produced but the problem is, it didnt show up in the 'my computer' help me please! ...
Hardware & Devices
Unable to detect external hard drive (seagate 320gb)
Hi, I've installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and my external hard drive (usb powered, 320gb freeagent seagate go) does not show up in my computer. I've tried switching usb ports, nothing happens. I've run the troubleshooter (control panel- troubleshooting) but it says that hardware changes...
Hardware & Devices
Cannot detect External Hard drive
Laptop : LG R410-AP62E1 OS : Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Recently I change my Os from windows vista to 7. Because I can't find a way to make the original OS to become genuine. From there, my laptop can't read external hard drive but it can only read flash drives. I don't know what my laptop is...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:19.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App