Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: CPU Cooler

14 Feb 2010   #31
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
The problem now is that when I powered on, there was no video or sound from the PC speaker, so I must have bent a pin on the CPU putting it back in.
if you bent a pin on the CPU your machine would normally just not boot , a bent pin would give you system instability or do nothing (as there a few undesignated "redundant" pins)

I would look around the fitting to see if you have dislodged a cable connection or card ?

N.B. a bent pin on a CPU should never happen with todays ZIF sockets, the term means Zero Insertion Force
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Something that I'm curious about, since the cooler didn't come with a thermal pad, nor seemed to show it necessary in the instructions. Is there any reason that I shouldn't have pasted it? With the grooves formed by the heat pipes, I pasted it a bit heaver than usual so that it would ooze into the grooves.

EDIT: One reason for my question about pasting, is that on the box it speaks of 3 "Direct Contact" heat pipes, which implies that no paste should be used.
It sounds like you may have put too much paste on as your ideally looking for perfect metal to metal contact and the paste is there to fill in the imperfections in the polished metal surfaces which your CPU and heatsink should provide ? You always need paste but it should normally only ever need to be a thin layer ........

But I really wouldn't allow that to be of concern if your temperatures are good

which is where this thread sorta started , how are your system temperatures now ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Feb 2010   #32
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Apparently, you didn't read my last thread in the Hardware Forum:

https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-...rs-madman.html

So far as the cooler, there is no problem, but I'm no so sure about your statement about "a polished metal surfaces", because to me that would imply a mirrorlike finish, as once would obtain from lapping. The mating surface on this cooler does not fit that description at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2010   #33
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Apparently, you didn't read my last thread in the Hardware Forum:

https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-...rs-madman.html

So far as the cooler, there is no problem, but I'm no so sure about your statement about "a polished metal surfaces", because to me that would imply a mirrorlike finish, as once would obtain from lapping. The mating surface on this cooler does not fit that description at all.
the best CPU coolers have polished surfaces and overclockers often do lap the mated surfaces for better thermal conductivity, paste always comes a poor second for that

Isn't your other thread refering to an older CPU you have broken and not the one your asking about here
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Feb 2010   #34
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I just installed the CPU, along the the cooler, and it is running at ~20C at idle, which is colder than I expected. This converts to 68F. which is a few degrees cooler than room temperature, which makes me concerned about condensation. How can I prevent this?

EDIT: Checking in Speedfan. I noticed that the external CPU temp is running ~33C vs ~20 for the core. The external temperature is above room temperature, which shouldn't be condusive to condensation. How likely is it for condensation to form inside the CPU on the core? I also found that the CPU fan speed is @2922RPM, which is actually faster than the top speed is supposed to be for this fan (2850 I think). If I can slow it down a bit at idle, it should be okay, but I'm not certain about how to accomplish that. SF has a speed feature, but never having used it before, it doesn't make much sense to me as to how to set it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #35
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
I just installed the CPU, along the the cooler, and it is running at ~20C at idle, which is colder than I expected. This converts to 68F. which is a few degrees cooler than room temperature, which makes me concerned about condensation. How can I prevent this?

EDIT: Checking in Speedfan. I noticed that the external CPU temp is running ~33C vs ~20 for the core. The external temperature is above room temperature, which shouldn't be condusive to condensation. How likely is it for condensation to form inside the CPU on the core? I also found that the CPU fan speed is @2922RPM, which is actually faster than the top speed is supposed to be for this fan (2850 I think). If I can slow it down a bit at idle, it should be okay, but I'm not certain about how to accomplish that. SF has a speed feature, but never having used it before, it doesn't make much sense to me as to how to set it.
you should be able to set it in your bios suggest take a look around

regarding your temperatures, only when using extreme cooling methods such as phase changer or peltier blocks and water cooled systems is it possible to cool below ambient and get condensation problems, but this is rarely an issue with air cooled as you are cooling with airflow from air that's ambient so it can only ever be the same or warmer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #36
swarfega

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
It's the Hyper TX3, but no need now, I managed to mount it and the fan (bending the fan clips). The problem now is that when I powered on, there was no video or sound from the PC speaker, so I must have bent a pin on the CPU putting it back in. I'll rip it out and start over. Something that I'm curious about, since the cooler didn't come with a thermal pad, nor seemed to show it necessary in the instructions. Is there any reason that I shouldn't have pasted it? With the grooves formed by the heat pipes, I pasted it a bit heaver than usual so that it would ooze into the grooves.

EDIT: One reason for my question about pasting, is that on the box it speaks of 3 "Direct Contact" heat pipes, which implies that no paste should be used.
You should always add paste unless it actually says not to. With my cooler I put a thin line along the width of the cpu and then mounted the cooler.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #37
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ickymay View Post

you should be able to set it in your bios suggest take a look around
I have Cool And Quiet enabled in the BIOS, but that doesn't have any settings in terms of controlling via specific temperatures or fan speeds. The fan seems to stay at top speed, regardless of the temperature.
Quote:

regarding your temperatures, only when using extreme cooling methods such as phase changer or peltier blocks and water cooled systems is it possible to cool below ambient and get condensation problems, but this is rarely an issue with air cooled as you are cooling with airflow from air that's ambient so it can only ever be the same or warmer
Possible or not, the idle temperature was as stated originally, however, it is now reading ~2C higher for some reason, so it is about room temperature, so this is no longer an issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #38
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
You should always add paste unless it actually says not to. With my cooler I put a thin line along the width of the cpu and then mounted the cooler.
I did as I have always done, and applied the paste as a film atop the CPU, before mounting the cooler. It was so difficult to assemble and fasten the hold down, that the cooler got slid around considerably. I don't know that was good or bad, but according to the temperatures that I'm getting, it must be okay.

EDIT: Something that I did do differently than before, is that instead of using AS5, I used Ceramique. With the combination of dissimilar metals of the cooler and the CPU, it seemed that a non-conductive properties of Ceramique would help prevent erosion of the surfaces due to electrolysis.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #39
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
I have Cool And Quiet enabled in the BIOS, but that doesn't have any settings in terms of controlling via specific temperatures or fan speeds. The fan seems to stay at top speed, regardless of the temperature.
You need to enable the Q-fan function in the bios as well if you want the fan to run at anything other than full speed,

CPU Cooler-qfan.jpg

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post

EDIT: Something that I did do differently than before, is that instead of using AS5, I used Ceramique. With the combination of dissimilar metals of the cooler and the CPU, it seemed that a non-conductive properties of Ceramique would help prevent erosion of the surfaces due to electrolysis.
Ceramique or AS/5 doesn't matter much, the difference in temperature is only 1-2C. One advantage to Ceramique over AS/5 is it is easier to remove the heatsink and clean up. Also sounds like you may have applied too much, might want to get the official word on how to apply Ceramique on AMD dual cores straight from the horse's mouth,

Arctic Silver Incorporated - Cramique Instructions

P.S. One more thing, don't go by the core temps, they have been wrong on the dual cores for a long time (pretty sure it has been fixed in the Phenom II and newer CPU's). Just to give you an idea mine shows both at 14C, with the CPU temp at 31C. Nice core temps, but severally impossible.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #40
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Okay, I enabled Q-Fan and it works...sort of. It seems to only have two speeds, top speed or off. This is a bit disconcerting, because the sound differential seems unnatural, and my idle temperature is considerably higher. I had thought that it would control speed on a variable scale, instead of this. I may go back to continous high speed, unless there is a better solution than this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CPU Cooler




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
DYI VRM cooler I made out of a ram cooler.
I am not the kind of person to let things go to waste, so when my new motherboard prevented me from using my cool ram cooler, I went to thinkwork (thinking what I can use it for). So I ended up making a small vrm cooler with temp display via LED's, a function that came with it, so I can't take...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Cooler Master's new All-in-One Liquid Cooler
Just saw this...... Cooler Master Future Proofs All-in-One Liquid Cooling with Expandable Glacer 240L Discuss
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Cooler
I just got the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Cooler today, easily installed and really good. Well better than stock cooler. Hyper 212 Plus - Cooler Master - Leading Provider of Computer Case | Cooler | Power Supply Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus review The 1 fan which is mounted is intake. ...
Hardware & Devices
V6 gt cooler
Hi all whent to frys had a v6 gt cooler instaled got the comp home pluged it up and it was idl at 41 c same as stock fan , did a stress test temps shot upto 80c fast ,called frys they say it just need to breakin so I let it idl for 15min at 41c .did the test agen same thing 80c stoped...
Hardware & Devices
My new CPU cooler
I just replaced my stock cpu cooler with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. What a monster. Fits my case. Pretty easy to install. Had to take the motherboard out. Here's my temps at almost max load. My stock cooler was around +80C. For $32 I'm very pleased. :geek:
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Ram fan cooler
hi everyone whats the general opinion of ram coolers? im thinking of them if they are worthwhile i have seen this one thats on offer Corsair CMXAF1 Dominator Memory Fan Cooler :D
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App