Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: External Hard-Drive Suggestions?

09 Feb 2010   #1
Lollies

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
External Hard-Drive Suggestions?

I have two WD Velociraptor which totals 300gigs so I've run out of space due to games, video editing etc... I have been using a Seagate Freeagent to store video materials as well as music and images and it has been fine running music off of it. This is 500 gigs, and I have been running on low for a while. I am looking into getting another external harddrive or just all together getting a larger one.

Basically what I am asking is what do you guys suggest for running an external for streaming and storing. The FreeAgents overall have bad reviews but mine has been good thus far. Would something such as the small portable ones be doable?

Just lookin for suggestions and opinions.

Thanks!
-Lollies


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Feb 2010   #2
FZ21Z

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ®™
 
 

First of all, do you have a PC or laptop? It's up to you on how much space you want and what you can afford, and if you have a PC, you've got better options.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=5
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #3
noobvious

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

Might be some useful info for you here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Feb 2010   #4
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Welcome!

Try looking on Newegg for External hard drive.

The reviews should give you a good idea of what is good and what is likely to fail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #5
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

And also think about transfer times for large files takes alot longer with usb vs internal hd's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #6
Lollies

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FZ21Z View Post
First of all, do you have a PC or laptop? It's up to you on how much space you want and what you can afford, and if you have a PC, you've got better options.

External Hard Drives Overview
It would be mainly for my Desktop running Windows 7 64 bit. Anything else needed I could just stream if necessary I figure. My laptop has 500gigs so storing the essentials is good enough. Both my desktop and Laptop are running Windows 7 64bit.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King
Welcome!

Try looking on Newegg for External hard drive.

The reviews should give you a good idea of what is good and what is likely to fail.
I looked at it several times but every time I come to the conclusion that getting another Seagate free agent may lead me to numerous problems or might work just fine.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie
And also think about transfer times for large files takes alot longer with usb vs internal hd's.
Yea, I should have originally gotten the larger of the two set-ups but I figured I'd upgrade to the veloci raptor since the raptor was being slowly replaced, even though the cost was more.

As far as streaming music and such, what i have now has worked fine, small delay at first but what else would you expect? But after that it is fine, as well as movies etc... the rest I use purely for storage.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noob
Might be some useful info for you here.
I'll take a look.

Thanks for the help guys! Any info helps.

-Lollies
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2010   #7
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

I have a WD Passport but only use it for backups on my desktop and my laptop. Also handy if I need to transfer files to another computer. For daily use I would go with an internal drive. My main drive is a 1TB WD Caviar Back Edition. I have used WD for years and they have been great.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2010   #8
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lollies View Post
I have two WD Velociraptor which totals 300gigs so I've run out of space due to games, video editing etc... I have been using a Seagate Freeagent to store video materials as well as music and images and it has been fine running music off of it. This is 500 gigs, and I have been running on low for a while. I am looking into getting another external harddrive or just all together getting a larger one.

Basically what I am asking is what do you guys suggest for running an external for streaming and storing. The FreeAgents overall have bad reviews but mine has been good thus far. Would something such as the small portable ones be doable?

Just lookin for suggestions and opinions.

Thanks!
-Lollies
I would recommend a Samsung Story Station (USB). Samsung makes both the quietest and the coolest running drives on the market, perfect for external use. I do speak from experience as I have two 1TB Samsung F1 SATA drives, a 1.5TB Samsung F2 SATA drive and a 1TB Samsung F2 that I have put into a Vantec NexStar3 NST-360SU-BL USB/eSATA enclosure. If it weren't for the blue glowing LED on the NexStar3 I wouldn't even know the drive is on. The aluminum enclosure is cool to the touch even after hours of transferring hundreds of gigs of data.

You can get the 1TB Samsung Story Station here: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG STORY Station 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive HX-DU010EB - External Hard Drives
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2010   #9
noobvious

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
I would recommend a Samsung Story Station (USB). Samsung makes both the quietest and the coolest running drives on the market, perfect for external use. I do speak from experience as I have two 1TB Samsung F1 SATA drives, a 1.5TB Samsung F2 SATA drive and a 1TB Samsung F2 that I have put into a Vantec NexStar3 NST-360SU-BL USB/eSATA enclosure. If it weren't for the blue glowing LED on the NexStar3 I wouldn't even know the drive is on. The aluminum enclosure is cool to the touch even after hours of transferring hundreds of gigs of data.

You can get the 1TB Samsung Story Station here: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG STORY Station 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive HX-DU010EB - External Hard Drives
I've heard good things about those recently from someone in a different forum....he has three of them and is planning on getting another.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2010   #10
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Personally, I would get a WD 1TB Black and slap it into your Desktop.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
And also think about transfer times for large files takes alot longer with usb vs internal hd's.
Here are 2 of my External WD Mybooks, a 1TB black and a 500GB,


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 External Hard-Drive Suggestions?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
External LAN Hard Drive Clouds Reviews and Suggestions?
currently I have a Western Digital MyBookLive 3TB External. Works great, I love everything about it except one thing. Trying to access the MBL from an external computer via web browser is tough work for anyone who is not a techy. Always running into Java conflicts before you can even gain access to...
Network & Sharing
Best external to external hard drive synchronized backup plan?
So I want to clone one external 2TB with another. So one drive is the main use one and another the backup one. So I copy everything over to backup and i store the backup at another house and then I start using the main: deleting and adding/editing files. What is the best software or whatever to...
Hardware & Devices
Will be installing Win 7 & win 8 on one hard drive, suggestions?
Hello all, I currently have a Emachines et1331g-03W Windows 7 64bit desktop and I want to purchase a1-2TB hard drive. I will be reinstalling Windows 7 on it and creating another partition and will be installing windows 8 on it. I want a dual-boot configuration so I can learn how to use Windows 8...
Hardware & Devices
First time replacing hard drive, suggestions?
Please move if I posted in wrong section.... The emachines et1331g-03w desktop (Windows 7 home premium 64bit)would freeze up so I did a system restore in the past. Thread can be found here: https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/279843-pc-freezing-after-system-recovery.html#post2303416...
Hardware & Devices
New Hard Drive suggestions?
Hi All, I'm considering getting a new HD. It's not urgent -the existing one is functioning ok - so I have time to take on board any ideas you all may have. It would be my boot drive - so I am looking for something fast, reliable and was thinking of Wd Caviar Blue 640gb. The reviews are...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App