Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: PC reboots if someone walk by

01 Mar 2010   #61
neo101

WIN7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

I haven't read the whole thread yet but like a challenge!

So when someone walks past - PC does ?!?!?

(This is near "Poltergeist level") Is it possible when their bodyweight pressure pushes down on a floorboard, a nail is contacting an electrical wire causing "poltergeist" 'activity' in the wiring?

Have you used the PC in another room yet? Sorry if already discussed.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Mar 2010   #62
churin

W7 Ult x64 and W8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Is it possible to have a shot of the inside of the case showing where the switches are mounted with the switches in situ? I need to be able to see the back of the switches clearly.
Attached as below is the front panel. Do you mean you want to see the back side of this panel? I wanted to do just that but could not figure out how to.
Please note that everything including reset SW, pwr SW, LEDs, Auido, eSATA and USBs are working fine except the rebooting problem.


Attached Thumbnails
PC reboots if someone walk by-img_4500.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #63
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by churin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
I advocate you try sandpaper, star washers, or similar around ALL grounding points... mobo standoffs, psu, switch mounting screws, etc. I bet the paint or powdercoated interior is the issue somewhere, this isnt a very old case and may it be an issue.
I would think the reasoning behind this suggestion must be that the mobo may not be adequately grounded to the case. However, doesn't the the result of the test suggested by Lava King prove otherwise?
Could be a ground issue anywhere in the case... Again, you said it works fine outside the case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Mar 2010   #64
churin

W7 Ult x64 and W8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by neo101 View Post
So when someone walks past - PC does ?!?!?
Yes, my PC does reboots. My theory is that if anyone who has static electricity built up in his/her body walks by the the machine the electricity is discharged into the machine and that triggers the rebooting(resetting).

Quote:
Have you used the PC in another room yet? Sorry if already discussed.
AC wiring in the house has been checked and found OK as has been posted already.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #65
churin

W7 Ult x64 and W8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by churin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
I advocate you try sandpaper, star washers, or similar around ALL grounding points... mobo standoffs, psu, switch mounting screws, etc. I bet the paint or powdercoated interior is the issue somewhere, this isnt a very old case and may it be an issue.
I would think the reasoning behind this suggestion must be that the mobo may not be adequately grounded to the case. However, doesn't the the result of the test suggested by Lava King prove otherwise?
Could be a ground issue anywhere in the case... Again, you said it works fine outside the case.
When I tested the system outside the case there were no cables for reset sw, pwr sw, LED, USBs, etc. that are connected to the mobo.
I have almost determined that the cause of the problem is that the ground sides of all those cables and wires run to the front panel(see picture in earlier post) are not grounded directly to the metallic part of the case. This is because the front panel is made of electrically non-conductive plastic material.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #66
Lava King

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Don't you just hate, er, love these perplexing problems?

There may be no cure for the static discharge reboot, but here's a longshot...
You could try unplugging each of the front panel cables from the motherboard and carefully twisting the wires, try to get the twists even. The theory is that a twisted pair is more immune to electrical noise. Shielding the wires may help, but that would be more of a bother.

Does the reboot occur if you build up static and then touch the metal case?

EDIT

Okay, I've carefully re-read your first post and I don't think that the wire twisting suggestion will make a difference. In my opinion, the voltage spike created by the static discharge will "race" down the common wire, inducing a voltage on the signal wires. Twisted, shielded or not it will probably not cure the problem.
And as for the wire twisting, I meant the ones that are separate conductors like the power switch and the reset switch.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #67
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

I sure wouldnt live with it! I believe you said the system is about 3 weeks old in an earlier post... see if you can return the case and exchange it for a different one!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #68
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by churin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Is it possible to have a shot of the inside of the case showing where the switches are mounted with the switches in situ? I need to be able to see the back of the switches clearly.
Attached as below is the front panel. Do you mean you want to see the back side of this panel? I wanted to do just that but could not figure out how to.
Please note that everything including reset SW, pwr SW, LEDs, Auido, eSATA and USBs are working fine except the rebooting problem.
Thanks. Yes, it was the rear of that panel that I wanted. I wanted to see if there was any way to electrically screen it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #69
churin

W7 Ult x64 and W8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by churin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Is it possible to have a shot of the inside of the case showing where the switches are mounted with the switches in situ? I need to be able to see the back of the switches clearly.
Attached as below is the front panel. Do you mean you want to see the back side of this panel? I wanted to do just that but could not figure out how to.
Please note that everything including reset SW, pwr SW, LEDs, Auido, eSATA and USBs are working fine except the rebooting problem.
Thanks. Yes, it was the rear of that panel that I wanted. I wanted to see if there was any way to electrically screen it.
I removed several screws but the plastic assembly was still firmly attached to the case so I quit there. I would rather get rid of the reset functionality than risk damaging the case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #70
churin

W7 Ult x64 and W8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lava King View Post
Does the reboot occur if you build up static and then touch the metal case?
No, it does not as already stated elsewhere in this thread.

Quote:
In my opinion, the voltage spike created by the static discharge will "race" down the common wire, inducing a voltage on the signal wires.
I agree. This is because the front panel is plastic piece.
On the other hand, I am not sure the case vendor is entirely at fault for this problem. The design of this particular mobo may be just too sensitive to such noise interference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 PC reboots if someone walk by




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
MY Computer Knows When I go to Walk Away?
Every time my wife or I get up from our computers it makes the disconnected sound as we just unplugged headphones or something from the USB ports. It is almost as if the computer acknowledges us leaving the computer. Does anyone have an idea what is causing this?
Sound & Audio
Backup Not Successful (0x81000037) -Need a walk through to fix please
I've researched this to death and still don't have a clue what to change/fix. Could use some expert help and walk through to narrow down the actual issue. Please advise. Log Name: Application Source: Windows Backup Date: 11/3/2014 5:04:18 PM Event ID: 4104...
Backup and Restore
DIR-655 reboots
Have been fighting a DIR-655 that would routinely reboot, really frustrating. Found a cure that worked for us. Go to Advanced and then QOS engine, uncheck the automatic uplink speed. You may have to play with your uplink speed, I currently have mine set to the highest value with no problems....
General Discussion
reboots when im not looking!
Hello! - x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? 64 - the original installed OS on the system? Windows 7 - an OEM or full retail version? Full retail - What is the age of system (hardware)? Few months - What is the age of OS installation? few weeks I recently installed a fresh image of win7 x64 on a...
BSOD Help and Support
People Do Walk in Circles When Lost
Source: Softpedia
Chillout Room
build 7077 - Networking Doing the "The Lambeth Walk"
Hi all Networking seems to be a real pain to get to work 100% ALL the time with W7. Latest build (7077 x-64) fixes the problem in Network Discovery where Computers on the network are randomly visible - but now I've got that wretched problem again (which was fixed in an earlier release)...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App