Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 24 X DVD Burner

13 Mar 2010   #1
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 
24 X DVD Burner

I was shopping for a new burner, when I noticed that LG has a model that is supposed to write at 24X. As far as I know, there is no media available that fast...is there? If not, what is the point in these faster drives?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Mar 2010   #2
Crispy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1 (Build 6.1.7601)
 
 

IMO its more of a sales thing but what most people dont still know is you should burn at the lowest speed, if you burn at a higher speed its has a higher chace of failing the burn.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #3
WowMike2002

Windows 7 Premium (OEM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
IMO its more of a sales thing but what most people dont still know is you should burn at the lowest speed, if you burn at a higher speed its has a higher chace of failing the burn.

Yep! Faster speeds = much higher chances of multiple cupholders being created! The faster it writes, the higher chance for a sector to be skipped/written wrong, and all it takes is a single bit of data in the wrong spot to ruin the CD - I always make it a point to write at 2x or 4x speed even though I can do 5 times that, slow and steady wins the race in cd/dvd/bluray burning!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Mar 2010   #4
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Yes, I do understand that the tortoise wins the race, but I'm wondering if a faster burner makes it possible to speed the tortoise up some?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #5
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Another vote for slow and steady burning. Also I always choose verify.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #6
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
I was shopping for a new burner, when I noticed that LG has a model that is supposed to write at 24X. As far as I know, there is no media available that fast...is there? If not, what is the point in these faster drives?
Personally I would avoid the LG and go for a drive that has the NEC controller as opposed to those that have the mediatek controller (Which is on most of the newer drives now)

The Sony Optiarc and the pioneer drives up to 217 (218 was the first to use the mediatek) have the NEC controllers.

Basically the difference is that the NEC controllers allow for a better/reliable burn at a higher speeds.

And there are several brands of media rated to burn @ x24 DVD+R, DVD-R
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #7
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Personally I would avoid the LG and go for a drive that has the NEC controller as opposed to those that have the mediatek controller (Which is on most of the newer drives now)
I have been trying to avoid LG, not because of any controller issue...though that is good to know, but because I really dislike the loud clack that the one that I do have makes when opening the tray.
Quote:
The Sony Optiarc and the pioneer drives up to 217 (218 was the first to use the mediatek) have the NEC controllers.

Basically the difference is that the NEC controllers allow for a better/reliable burn at a higher speeds.

And there are several brands of media rated to burn @ x24 DVD+R, DVD-R
Where does one find such media?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2010   #8
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Where does one find such media?
TBH, I really don't know. I've always had great success with Sony Optical 16x media across several burners with a 12x/x16 setting for both DVD movies, videos, OS discs etc, so I've never felt compelled to look for alternative media.

I just went on a hunt for 24x and the results were non-existent. I'm starting to think I might have imagined it, or confused it with something else.

My apologies for the confusion...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #9
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

This is strange. I ordered a Sony Optiarc from Amazon a couple of days ago, but decided to cancel the order a couple of hours later, because I realized that I got mixed up and ordered one with the NEC controller, instead of the Mediatek controller as you recommended, but it would not even begin to let me, it said that it was already being processed for shipping and couldn't be canceled or changed.

Since I had not received anything from them via email about the sale...even an acknowledgement that the order was placed, I just went back to my Amazon account, and it doesn't list the order at all.

I usually make copies of the receipts, but somehow I failed to do so this time, so I have nothing to so for proof of it if needed. I say if needed, because so far there has not been a draft on my account for the sale, so for all practical purposes it doesn't seem to exist. It was only for $28, so there isn't a lot involved, but every dollar counts. If something doesn't happen in a week or so, I'll just go shopping again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #10
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
This is strange. I ordered a Sony Optiarc from Amazon a couple of days ago, but decided to cancel the order a couple of hours later, because I realized that I got mixed up and ordered one with the NEC controller, instead of the Mediatek controller as you recommended, but it would not even begin to let me, it said that it was already being processed for shipping and couldn't be canceled or changed.
Actually, if you re-read my post, it was a drive with a NEC controller I recommended, so you did order the right one

However, it is a little disconcerting that your order 'disappeared'

That's pretty poor form on Amazons behalf. I'd definitely keep an eye on your bank records, especially if no drive appears.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 24 X DVD Burner




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Best cd. burner
Whats best ap for windows? Free or commerical.
Software
What DVD burner is this???
Hi, I have a MSI GX660R laptop and am having trouble finding what internal dvd drive I have. Have tried my friend Google but no joy. Do any of you guys know what HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N is, and is it any good?? If not, what is currently the best slim internal or slim usb external drive...
Hardware & Devices
DVD Burner
I have tried using the win dvd burner but I cannot seem to get past the add to folder screen. Once I have added the files I want to burn I do not see where the next step is for actually burning the files.
Music, Pictures & Video
I think i have a bad dvd burner
Every time I try to burn a DVD I get this error. http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad70/jessejw/error.png I was reading around and someone said; "Sounds like a bum drive. Invoke warranty replacement, or get a new one if it's out of warranty." and they had the same error as I...
Hardware & Devices
CD & DVD Burner
my problem is that every time i try to burn a CD Or a DVD they all spoil up. Can someone help me with a new software that i can use to get my DC & DVD burn in the right way please.
Software
DVD-rom/burner
I have to DVD drives in my PC they are both lite-on the burner is a LH-20A1P set to slave the other one is a basic rom drive set to master it is a SOHD-167T i am running w7 x64 yes i have the connectors in the right slot when I open the media center to play a DVD it says "Windows...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:57.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App