Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SATA Power Connectors

23 Mar 2010   #21
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I haven't been online since yesterday afternoon, because my cable service quit. The serviceman just left, and he found that a cable that I had connected for cable TV, which I had disconnected long ago, was some how inducting interference into the modem like an antenna.

While he was here, I asked him about the SATA connectors, and while he didn't say anything about a source for them, he showed me how to use the connectors that I have. It requires what is called a knockdown punch, like in the link:

"+v25+"

The problem is that the tool is too expensive for just a one time use, so I'm going to have to improvise something.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Mar 2010   #22
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
I haven't been online since yesterday afternoon, because my cable service quit. The serviceman just left, and he found that a cable that I had connected for cable TV, which I had disconnected long ago, was some how inducting interference into the modem like an antenna.

While he was here, I asked him about the SATA connectors, and while he didn't say anything about a source for them, he showed me how to use the connectors that I have. It requires what is called a knockdown punch, like in the link:

"+v25+"

The problem is that the tool is too expensive for just a one time use, so I'm going to have to improvise something.
You can get a cheap one at Radio Shack (locally?) similar to the one I linked to earlier ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #23
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I just tried the Radio Shack website, but didn't find anything with the search tool. The previous link was for a $55 tool, but I found a couple at Lowes much cheaper. They have one that is a combination stripper and punch down for $25, and another that is a simple non-impact tool for $6. I'll have to wait til I get to the store to see if either appears to be able to do the job. That non-impact tool may be good enough, but from the picture it wasn't clear whether the handle was metal or some kind of flimsy plastic. Since I would have to use my mallet with it, I would want it to be able to hold up. At least now I'm on the right path.

Somehow, I had missed your previous link, but until I saw the service man demonstrate the tool, I don't think that I would have understood it anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Mar 2010   #24
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
I just tried the Radio Shack website, but didn't find anything with the search tool. The previous link was for a $55 tool, but I found a couple at Lowes much cheaper. They have one that is a combination stripper and punch down for $25, and another that is a simple non-impact tool for $6. I'll have to wait til I get to the store to see if either appears to be able to do the job. That non-impact tool may be good enough, but from the picture it was clear whether the handle was metal or some kind of flimsy plastic. Since I would have to use my mallet with it, I would want it to be able to hold up. At least now I'm on the right path.
Yup, the cheap one ($1.17 USD) is a hard plastic, and would not hold up very long under a mallet. I have never had to use that much force ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #25
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I might not either, but what the service man had was an impact type of tool, which knocked it in instantly. I'm not sure about a non-impact tool...maybe I could use it without the mallet, but like Tim said on Tool Time...more power!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #26
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
I might not either, but what the service man had was an impact type of tool, which knocked it in instantly. I'm not sure about a non-impact tool...maybe I could use it without the mallet, but like Tim said on Tool Time...more power!
Eeeeaarrough arough arough!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #27
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Try one of those.
Note the Sata plug is 5 wire 12v,5v,3v.
Curious, both the cables on my PS and the connectors that I have are 4 wire, not 5. I think that is because there is no 3v involved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #28
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Try one of those.
Note the Sata plug is 5 wire 12v,5v,3v.
Curious, both the cables on my PS and the connectors that I have are 4 wire, not 5. I think that is because there is no 3v involved.
3v is not use, may be in a few years.

Tool, I use an old screwdriver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #29
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I was wondering, because I did read an article a couple of days ago, that said that it was necessary to have 3v for some drives and not for others. Until I read that, I wasn't aware that there was any difference.

If I had the right screwdriver, it might work, but since I'm going to have to buy something, I might as well get something designed for the job.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #30
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

I only do one or two year, so old screwdriver OK.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SATA Power Connectors




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Plug in a sata power cable
Can I plug in the power cable to a sata drive (already connected to sata port on mobo), while the computer is on. With that drive connected Windows will not boot (I never have had a problem with the drive before, even when installing windows). If I remember right, a few years ago, I moved the...
Hardware & Devices
Bios settings re new SSD boot drive & MB Sata connectors
Just migrated/updated my main C: drive to a SSD Seagate 128GB drive....minor issues at first but now running great. Question is re my system bios. What if any is the correlation between the Sata 'order' in the following: Bios Main Settings readout ( bios main settings.jpg ) Bios Boot...
Hardware & Devices
A Comment on SATA connectors...
For about the third time in a year I've had various, hard to diagnose problems that turned out to be related to SATA connectors. The slightest bit of dust or corrosion creeping into these 7-pin connectors can cause inconsistent problems that may take days to figure out. Don't get me wrong - SATA...
Hardware & Devices
SATA Connectors and Controllers
My motherboard (ASUS M3A) has: 4 SATA connectors (arranged in 2 pairs). RAID support. Am I correct in assuming that each connector has a separate controller (i.e. 4 controllers)? Would my HDDs perform better, if I attached one to each pair of connections (ignoring RAID)?
Performance & Maintenance
SATA power sockets
Have a new build with a Corsair HX 650 (superb device from every respect) and need to connect two 120 extra fans. Now I don't want to us the two foot long SATA to Molex cable because it would untidy if not hazardous lying around in the case. I can get a SATA to Molex adaptor then plug a fan...
Hardware & Devices
USB 3.0 - SATA 3 - and 3X USB power for X58
Here's what you X58 guys can look forward to in the near future. YouTube - Exclusive preview of the GIGABYTE EX-58 EXTREME2 motherboard
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:40.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App