Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Which internal Terabyte HDD?

24 Mar 2010   #11
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
I'm a fan of Seagate, Western Digital and Hitachi drives. Each family can experience problems and I don't think there is truly a universal "best". Seagate did have a long run of problem free drives, but unfortunately that run came to an abrupt halt with the 7200.11 series drives which experienced many firmware issues causing all kinds of grief.
Yeah, I read about that. I'm thinking that was just the SATA drives, because I've got an 11th generation 100GB Barracuda, but it's ATA. Been running it for about 2 years now problem free.

You should always do your homework before any type of hardware purchase, that's for sure. The only HDD I own that isn't SeaGate, or Maxtor [same thing now] is an 80GB Hitachi DeskStar [commonly known as DeathStar to data recovery professionals]. It's okay, but runs really hot. Hitachi's new technology with porcelin platter surfaces is really bad. I've read up on it, since I just purchased a 500GB HDD.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Mar 2010   #12
smarteyeball

 
 

The Samsung F3 Spinpoints are worth a look too.

As for the Seagate 7200.11 firmware drives, thankfully they haven't been available for a while now. I've got a 1TB 7200.12 and it's worked flawlessly for me so far.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #13
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
As for the Seagate 7200.11 firmware drives, thankfully they haven't been available for a while now. I've got a 1TB 7200.12 and it's worked flawlessly for me so far.
The 11th generation Barracuda I have runs at 32 degrees farenheit at all times, and it's in a rig that only has a CPU fan, and no others. But like I said, it's an ATA interface. So either I got lucky, or the firmware problems were only with the SATA drives. I also just bought a 500GB 12th generation SATA Barracuda, and it runs flawlessly as well. Stays nice and cool too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Mar 2010   #14
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
They also have a new one:

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Also the WD Black editions have a 5 year warranty while most others are 3 yrs.
I still have a 7yr old WD EIDE drive in my system that I use as a backup.

Jim

Hello Phone Man.


I haden't seen the new SATA 3 HDD from them yet, thanks.


People need to know that they will need a motherboard that is able to run that (SATA 3/6GBs) HDD.
It will run on SATA 2/3GBS also and maybe a good investment if you keep it a few years until you get a new motherboard. I suspect the SATA 2 drives are on the way out and they will all be SATA 3 in a short time and maybe some bargains on the SATA 2 in the future as they dump the old stock. I have heard that some of the new 2GB drives Burst Speed have exceeded the SATA 2 data rate.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #15
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote:
Do you really need a mobo that supports SATA 6Gb/s, isn't the drive backwards compatible with the older SATA standards...it would just be limited to the slower speed potential of SATA 3Gb/s?


My point was; to show the difference between the standards, not everyone has the same level of knowledge concerning hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #16
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
I have heard that some of the new 2GB drives Burst Speed have exceeded the SATA 2 data rate.
I think that is what they want you believe. The WD 2GB Caviar Black is a very fast drive as shown by these benchmarks;
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB | Maximum PC

However, it's burst is only 213...which is only 2/3 of the current SATA 2 standards and it's sustained is 112...which is about 1/3 of the current standards. SATA 2 can handle approx 300MB/s after overhead...it's actual max is 3.0Gb/s which is 385MB/s


I just don't think the drives are here yet...and I think some people get suckered into buying new boards and new drives with the hopes of seriously increasing their performance and simply don't know the details. Holding off or requiring a Sata 6.0Gbs board is likely not going to make much difference over the next 2-3 years.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #17
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
I have heard that some of the new 2GB drives Burst Speed have exceeded the SATA 2 data rate.
I think that is what they want you believe. The WD 2GB Caviar Black is a very fast drive as shown by these benchmarks;
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB | Maximum PC

However, it's burst is only 213...which is only 2/3 of the current SATA 2 standards and it's sustained is 112...which is about 1/3 of the current standards. SATA 2 can handle approx 300MB/s after overhead...it's actual max is 3.0Gb/s which is 385MB/s


I just don't think the drives are here yet...and I think some people get suckered into buying new boards and new drives with the hopes of seriously increasing their performance and simply don't know the details. Holding off or requiring a Sata 6.0Gbs board is likely not going to make much difference over the next 2-3 years.
You are right. I looked back and found the article, I just remembered it wrong. It was in the Dec 2009 issure of CPU Magazine. They tested three 10000 rpm SATA 3 drives. The Hitachi Ultrastar C10K300 with 64mb cache hit a Burst Speed of 421MBps. The other two were 249 and 269. It does show what is possible and where they are heading in the future. It will be a while before SATA 3 is required but its coming. New Motherboards are offering SATA 3 and USB 3 and its just a mater of time before the HDD catch up.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #18
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
You are right. I looked back and found the article, I just remembered it wrong. It was in the Dec 2009 issure of CPU Magazine. They tested three 10000 rpm SATA 3 drives. The Hitachi Ultrastar C10K300 with 64mb cache hit a Burst Speed of 421MBps. The other two were 249 and 269. It does show what is possible and where they are heading in the future. It will be a while before SATA 3 is required but its coming. New Motherboards are offering SATA 3 and USB 3 and its just a mater of time before the HDD catch up.

Jim
For clarification sake, the Hitachi Ultrastar C10K300 is not a SATA drive, but rather an enterprise class SAS drive (serial attached SCSI). That explains the higher speeds and greater throughput.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #19
johnwillyums

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
The Samsung F3 Spinpoints are worth a look too.

As for the Seagate 7200.11 firmware drives, thankfully they haven't been available for a while now. I've got a 1TB 7200.12 and it's worked flawlessly for me so far.
I'll vote for the Samsung F3s I have two 1TB and two of the older F1 500 GBs.
In fact the F1s are now really quite old and still running really well.
They're amazing value for money inho
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2010   #20
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

So this one looks pretty good.

Is it worth upgrading to a 2 tera yet, or are they not as cost effective as the 1 teras are?

I too like WD. And this seems to be within my price range. Is it possible to shoot for a lower price, or its not worth losing quality of the specs on this 1 tera?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Which internal Terabyte HDD?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can't detect 3 terabyte hd Windows 7
I don't get this no issues but Windows 7 won't detect any usb hd neither sub 2.0 or 3.0 different ports don't help and outs fully updated plus no other issues. When boot my xp boot up CD it detects the usb drive right away. Flash drives work just not usb drives. Any ideas on how to fix this? Or...
Hardware & Devices
Terabyte Image for Windows
Gentlemen, after looking here & there I have (almost) settled on Terabyte's Image for Windows Back-up. Before I log into Paypal tommorrow & place the order any "dire warnings" before I proceed?? Is there a better choice for a Win 7 PC? (No!! I'm no longer interested in the win 7 built-in...
Backup and Restore
Format 3 terabyte drive
I partitioned a 3 terabyte drive to use internal on my computer. It worked fine. I now want to restore it back to its default . I've saved all needed files and put it back into usb box and connected usb to computer. When I start format wizard it only shows 7?? Gig available to format. How can I...
Hardware & Devices
Macrium / Acronis problems so using IFW from terabyte
Hi there On Windows 8 I couldn't get Macrium free to work properly when backing up an SSD to a USB3 external disk. I know this is W7 but some people will be testing W8 too so they will want a backup mechanism that works both on W7 and W8. I've had too many issues with Acronis to continue to...
Backup and Restore
Freeze ups with 1 Terabyte Drives
I see some others have had some problems with these drives being recognized. I am having some similar problems. I have a small 300gig drive that my W7 RC is loaded on. I am using a Biostar MCP6P M2+ MB and 3 gigs memory. When I boot with Paragon Disk Manager, I can see all drives, including the...
Hardware & Devices
OCZ releases 1 terabyte 3.5 SSD-Monster Colossus
OCZ releases 1 terabyte 3.5 SSD-Monster Colossus: When Intel plays with muscles as they did recently with their new SSD-generation competitors must adapt and this OCZ with instantaneous price adjustments of their Vertex SSD series, but instead of just playing with the Intel's melody will OCZ...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App