Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hard Drive Dissapears after installing 2nd SATA Drive

01 Apr 2010   #31
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 68iou1 View Post
btw when you select which boot device you want, windows 7 does everything else. even if you have both of them as primary.
Not always. Some BIOS software will auto detect for a primary boot partition, and change your boot order without any help from you at all. Thus, it could indeed get confused with two seperate primary boot partitions. I've actually seen this happen on many occasions.

If the 1.5 is new, and had problems right out of the gate, I would just RMA it, and be done with it. I'm sorry, but I did not realize it was a brand new drive, or I would have suggested this WAY earlier.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Apr 2010   #32
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MadMaxData View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 68iou1 View Post
btw when you select which boot device you want, windows 7 does everything else. even if you have both of them as primary.
Not always. Some BIOS software will auto detect for a primary boot partition, and change your boot order without any help from you at all. Thus, it could indeed get confused with two seperate primary boot partitions. I've actually seen this happen on many occasions.

If the 1.5 is new, and had problems right out of the gate, I would just RMA it, and be done with it. I'm sorry, but I did not realize it was a brand new drive, or I would have suggested this WAY earlier.
Taking a look at this, I'm seeing that he's got two drives the 320 and the 1.5 that don't play at all well together... Ok, if I'm following this properly... the 1.5 worked as a second drive on the other machine, but not on this machine... the other big drive works with the 1.5... Y'know what I'm wondering now... if there isn't a problem with the 320... It seems everyone plays well together except that one.

Arrrg... this is giving me a headache....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2010   #33
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Honestly, I can't confirm those findings, as the OP is quite confusing in explaining what he's done so far. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

At any rate, I suggest a return on the new drive. If you buy brand new hardware and it doesn't work perfect right from the get go, I won't even fool around trying to "fix" it. That could potentially just turn into another headache down the road, and maybe even AFTER the warranty is up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Apr 2010   #34
68iou1

vista 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MadMaxData View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 68iou1 View Post
btw when you select which boot device you want, windows 7 does everything else. even if you have both of them as primary.
Not always. Some BIOS software will auto detect for a primary boot partition, and change your boot order without any help from you at all. Thus, it could indeed get confused with two seperate primary boot partitions. I've actually seen this happen on many occasions.

If the 1.5 is new, and had problems right out of the gate, I would just RMA it, and be done with it. I'm sorry, but I did not realize it was a brand new drive, or I would have suggested this WAY earlier.
Taking a look at this, I'm seeing that he's got two drives the 320 and the 1.5 that don't play at all well together... Ok, if I'm following this properly... the 1.5 worked as a second drive on the other machine, but not on this machine... the other big drive works with the 1.5... Y'know what I'm wondering now... if there isn't a problem with the 320... It seems everyone plays well together except that one.

Arrrg... this is giving me a headache....
RMA isnt possible because it works on the other system as you just stated. Drive C: on the 320 didnt find any bad sectors. checking drive D: Keep you posted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2010   #35
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 68iou1 View Post
RMA isnt possible because it works on the other system as you just stated. Drive C: on the 320 didnt find any bad sectors. checking drive D: Keep you posted.
Returning an item you just bought is always possible. Why would you be checking it for bad sectors if you didn't already suspect a failure? Once again, I fail to see the logic here.

By the way, just "check" for bad sectors on the 1.5, and DO NOT repair them. That could mess up your return. Let the tech's at the place your returning it to see it has bad sectors, so they don't try to send you the same drive back. And yes, a lot of places actually do just that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #36
Sattracer

Windows 7
 
 

Guys, I'm having a similar issue. Only my setup is a 1TB SATA and a 320gb IDE, both Seagate. On occasion the IDE drive will "Vanish" from the post test. It will not show on the boot menu. This being weird enough, I thought perhaps the drive was old and was just on it's last leg. SO I re-installed Windows 7 on the SATA for main boot. The SATA never disappears from the post BUT will dump the MBR and require repairs. Oddly enough, I can PREDICT this happening. I am a gamer and my latency will begin creeping up in game, slowly at first then jump into the 1000's. When I reboot to get rid of the latency, there will be no IDE drive and it will boot straight to the SATA. If the Sata is plugged in solo, the MBR will be missing and have to be repaired. The IDE drive will magically reappear if I leave it UNPLUGGED from the power supply for a while, I've not determined the "exact" length of time as I was surprised to see it function after not even showing in the drive register. Nonetheless, unplug the IDE drive's power cable and leave it unplugged for 6+ hours like I did and see if it shows back up when you re-plug it in. I have been reading some things about ASUS MB's and I'm beginning to question this MB's bios.

MB: M2A-VM HDMI, AMD 3800+ Dual Core 64 bit, 3GB ram, internal ATI video.

Hope this helps.

Addendum: I had Windows 7 RC on this same system for 10 months with NO ISSUE. Installed the 1TB without issue and both drives played nicely together. These issues began when I was forced to change to the released version of Windows Home Premium.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #37
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MadMaxData View Post
At any rate, I suggest a return on the new drive. If you buy brand new hardware and it doesn't work perfect right from the get go, I won't even fool around trying to "fix" it. That could potentially just turn into another headache down the road, and maybe even AFTER the warranty is up.
That is why they have to give us warrantees, y'know....

Yep... it's refund time.

This has indeed become very confusing... so much so that I think I'll let this one go 'cause I don't think I'll ever get my head around it now.

For the OP... when problems like this come up, a rigid methodical approach is the only way to solve them... When you add new hardware to a working system and it screws up, 90% of the time it's going to be the new hardware (or it's drivers) fault but the only way to confirm that is to put the new hardware in a different working machine and see what happens. i.e. The best test would have been to wipe the new 1.5 clean, delete all partitions, put it in with your old drive... no go... take it to another machine and put it in with that old drive... ok that works... now put your old drive in a working machine as a second drive... and so on. It's crucial that you track and catalog all this stuff if you are to get a successful repair... even more so if you are asking for help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #38
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 68iou1 View Post
RMA isnt possible because it works on the other system as you just stated. Drive C: on the 320 didnt find any bad sectors. checking drive D: Keep you posted.
You don't have to tell them that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #39
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sattracer View Post
Guys, I'm having a similar issue.
I would recommend that you start a new thread, with that same post. Helps to keep the troubleshooting confusion to a minimum. I'll be glad to help you figure it out in a new thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #40
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Yep... it's refund time.
That's the bottom line with this issue. It's a new drive that doesn't act like it should. Return it immediately.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Hard Drive Dissapears after installing 2nd SATA Drive




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive
The time has come for me to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows 7 following a recent disastrous download that's effectively knocked out my Internet Explorer 11 and rendered Internet browsing difficult. My system has since become unstable and progressively slow and unfortunately, for some...
Hardware & Devices
Hard drive appears wiped after installing Windows 7 to another drive
Hey all, somehow my 1TB hard drive was wiped out and I've lost 930GB worth of files from the past 8 years. I don't have any backups (stupid me). My hard drive contains lots of family vacation photos and videos, old school projects I'll need in the future, and loads of other really important stuff....
Hardware & Devices
Installing Additional SATA Hard Drive - Inquiry
Hello everyone, me again, thanking in advance for any comments or suggestions or opinions. My OS is windows 7 64bit and I am using H61M-P31G3 MSI mainboard. It has 4 SATA slots: SATA 1 for my 500GB HDD, SATA2 for my DVDRW Drive, and SATA3 & SATA 4 none connected I have an older PC with 200GB...
Hardware & Devices
Installing 7, SATA Drivers? Hard Drive problems... HELP!
So here's the lowdown. I have an Asus x86v thats a few years old and it bluescreened on me a ways back, and since I no longer had the recovery disks (originally vista), I decided to just load linux onto my machine, and I did and it was fine. I got tired of linux and decided to upgrade to...
Installation & Setup
How do I transfer files from bad sata hard drive to new hard drive
Hi. I have a virus infected sata hard drive with windows 7 on it. It has the win 7 anti virus 2012 on it, and it's a cybercriminal virus. I have lots of files I want to transfer to the new sata drive. I already have windows 7 installed on the new drive. How do I get the files from the bad drive to...
Installation & Setup
Install Windows 7 with Sata Hard Drive and IDE DVD ROM Drive
Hi, Is this possible? I have tried numerous times on my PC to install Windows 7 onto my Sata Drive to no avail. Yet as soon as I plug in my IDE HD it installs fine. I have unplugged all external peripherals USB and internal Card Reader. Set my Bios ok as it sees both the Hard Drive and DVD fine...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App