Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cleaning Keyboard

04 Apr 2010   #11
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

The way I was taught to clean a keyboard is as follows.
  1. Invert the keyboard and gently tap out as much detritus as is possible.
  2. Use compressed air to remove stubborn matter.
  3. Using a computer specific safe cleaning spray apply sparingly to a clean dry lint free cloth and lay the cloth over the keyboard.
  4. Use a medium firm quality brush on top of the cloth to work the cloth over and between the keys.

This I have found to clean a keyboard without the need for disassembly, and is the professional way just because it does not take as long and time is money


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Apr 2010   #12
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
The way I was taught to clean a keyboard is as follows.
  1. Invert the keyboard and gently tap out as much detritus as is possible.
  2. Use compressed air to remove stubborn matter.
  3. Using a computer specific safe cleaning spray apply sparingly to a clean dry lint free cloth and lay the cloth over the keyboard.
  4. Use a medium firm quality brush on top of the cloth to work the cloth over and between the keys.
This I have found to clean a keyboard without the need for disassembly, and is the professional way just because it does not take as long and time is money
LOL... wait till the day you have to get a half a bottle of maple syrup out of a keyboard that very nicely sat on the dining room table so they could use the computer during meals...

Everyone is correct... laptops are an entirely different matter... when you get one of those keyboards far enough gone, you replace it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2010   #13
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

The strangest detritus I've ever found in a keyboard was a salted peanut lodged under the enter key this was preventing the operator from doing any work so the keyboard was replaced and the old one dismantled back in the workshop in spare time.

I still have no idea how that particular object manged to find itself where it did. This was an industrial keyboard without removable keys
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Apr 2010   #14
FZ21Z

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I just run the extension on my Dyson over it once a week, seems to do the job.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2010   #15
manhunter2826

Windows XP - Now Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
The strangest detritus I've ever found in a keyboard was a salted peanut lodged under the enter key this was preventing the operator from doing any work so the keyboard was replaced and the old one dismantled back in the workshop in spare time.

I still have no idea how that particular object manged to find itself where it did. This was an industrial keyboard without removable keys
Any allergies? Bad joke
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2010   #16
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

I've washed two keyboards under hot water without taking them apart. One of them had pop spilled on it. I shook out as much water as I could and let them dry in the sun for a couple of days. They both work fine now. I've heard stories where people have actually put them in dishwashers and they worked fine afterwords. Your mileage may vary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2010   #17
johnwillyums

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

I saw an ad for some kind of thin putty stuff that you pressed into the keys and then peeled it off with all the dirt.
Can't recall what it was called and forgot to bookmark it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2010   #18
xXSevenXx

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64- bit
 
 

I use Pledge multi surface pre-moistened clean and dust wipes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2010   #19
kodi

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Dry paintbrush (cheap stiff one) works wonders
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2010   #20
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
I've washed two keyboards under hot water without taking them apart. One of them had pop spilled on it. I shook out as much water as I could and let them dry in the sun for a couple of days. They both work fine now. I've heard stories where people have actually put them in dishwashers and they worked fine afterwords. Your mileage may vary.
WOW... Even I'm not that brave....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cleaning Keyboard




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cleaning K350 Keyboard
I am trying to clean my Logitech WAVE K350 Keyboard. I have managed to get some dust out by using q-tips in the spaces between the keys and I want to take off the keys for deeper cleaning. I have tried wiggling them off but they are in there tight. Should I get a key remover or is there another way?
Hardware & Devices
Why the Difference in Cleaning?
So I am wondering if there is some update that I missed or if this is something that you have to go and get from Microsoft. I was reading some threads here about how Windows updates and that the newer update that supersedes older ones; that the older one does not get "flushed" out of your...
Windows Updates & Activation
House Cleaning?
I am in the process of doing a little "House Cleaning" of software I don't use or don't need or think I need. Please check the 2 captures snaps and let me know if I don't need them and can safely uninstall them. You may want to check my system specs before advising me. TIA I will be in...
Software
Cleaning an LCD screen
How in the world do I clean my laptops LCD screen properly? I have an LCD cleaning solution and some tool, but I end up getting streaks and smudges every time. When I clean it all the debris pools in the corners, because I cant get to them without scratching the screen. How do I clean a laptop...
General Discussion
Cleaning your HD
Can any1 help? I'm trying to locate where ALL the temp files are on my HD so I can delete them manually (Disk Cleanup just doesn't do enough). I already clean C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp & C:\windows\temp but I also want to delete any backups of 'Updates' that windows downloads but dont...
Performance & Maintenance
Advice On Cleaning Keyboard.
Hi,first of all the let me say sorry if this is in the wrong area. basically i dropped a cup of coffee on my new razer lycosa keyboard :cry: Luckily enough it still all works but now i am left with residue all over some keys. Could anyone recomend any way of cleaning it off for me as i am a...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App